FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RB2: songs to practice technique on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FUGGNUTZ  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: RB2: songs to practice technique on? Reply with quote

Hey scorehero, I'm here with a problem. I'm bad at the drums. I wanna practice on some songs so I can get better at it. For reference, I've only FCed 2 songs on Drums (Charlene and Nine in the Afternoon, lol) and I can pass most of the Impossible songs. I've never passed Visions and I've only passed Panic Attack once. My drumkit is also broken, as the red pad won't pick up most notes I play (I've never passed the RBN Megamix because of the red rolls in the song right after Frontier Factory. Otherwise, I could probably hit them, but don't let that sway your opinion) I've had this game in the past, but my drum kit was broken. On the PS3 (the other system I had this game for), the hardest song I passed was Hammer Smashed face because Verse 3 is insane on an RB2 stock kit. I know I should work on my endurance because songs like Battery typically get the better of me. I also need to practice rolls. I've been getting better at those though, to the point where I can 5 star most Impossible songs.

So, what songs can I play to practice on? I might get songs for this game, but it's highly unlikely because I'm borrowing my friend's kit and game. Thanks for any advice you can give me!
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: FUGGNUTZ PSN Name: FUGGNUTZ
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will sound a little useless, but given the stage you're at, there aren't really single songs you need to practice. If you're at the point where you can 5 star a lot of impossible tier songs, then you're probably a decent player at most techniques. Just keep playing the impossible tier songs, trying to improve your score. Gold star somemid tier songs, try to FC some more low tier songs (if you can pass Hammer Smashed Face, you can get a LOT more than your current 2 FC's).

I guess if you really wanted a push for suggestions... Almost any of the Between the Buried and Me songs are great practice for high-level drummers (as a RB2 player, you're limited only to Prequel to the Sequel or Obfuscation. Mordecai as well, but I wouldn't recommend that one). On-disc I'd play Shoulder to the Plow and Panic Attack a lot. both of those have a wide variety of drumbeats, rolls, and fills.
FUGGNUTZ  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't get the 20 free DLC because the game was bought used. Otherwise, I would practice that song. I did, however, have it on the PS3. IIRC, I only got up to the first verse and failed, but I bet if I played it again today I'd get at least to the blasts and then fail. :P

As for Impossible tier songs, I can 5 star The Trees, Give it All, Battery, and probably Ace of Spades. Most other songs are out of my reach (Teen Age Riot and Everlong because of my shitty red pad D: ) I might try Shoulder to the Plow, but I'll need to practice more rolls first, because those are a major screw-up point for me.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: FUGGNUTZ PSN Name: FUGGNUTZ
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUGGNUTZ wrote:
Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't get the 20 free DLC because the game was bought used. Otherwise, I would practice that song. I did, however, have it on the PS3. IIRC, I only got up to the first verse and failed, but I bet if I played it again today I'd get at least to the blasts and then fail. :P

As for Impossible tier songs, I can 5 star The Trees, Give it All, Battery, and probably Ace of Spades. Most other songs are out of my reach (Teen Age Riot and Everlong because of my shitty red pad D: ) I might try Shoulder to the Plow, but I'll need to practice more rolls first, because those are a major screw-up point for me.

If you don't mind swallowing your pride a little bit, I highly recommend playing stuff like Shoulder to the Plow, Panic Attack, etc with no-fail on. Then, even if there are single hard parts you can't consistently pass, you can at least practice the rest of the song without worry of failure.
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megadeth songs can be pretty good, ones like Sleepwalker need a lot of endurance with bass pedal and have a lot of tricky fills thrown over them (theyll help you deal with stuff like rolls where every other note has a bass under it). Keep playing songs is always a good idea cause youll start to hit things you didnt before and youll immediately recognize it (like if youve played a song ten times missing a hard fill and you finally hit it youll know and youll be able to see that youve improved). Something interesting to try is putting songs on lefty flip. It doesnt require to relearn how to play (like guitar would, at least for me) but it does make for interesting charts and stuff you dont usually see otherwise. I do it sometimes and it's just a good way of playing a wider variety of parts/beats/etc (and it doesnt require you buying dlc). I hope some of this helps

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
11yearoldkid  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUGGNUTZ wrote:
Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't get the 20 free DLC because the game was bought used.

For some reason, I had lost my code. One day I decided to call up Harmonix to see if they would give me a new one. Without any questions whatsoever, he generated a code and gave it to me. So just call them up, and you'll get the songs.

TEN THOUSANNNNNNND!
My life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: