FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
11/29 DLC: Roadrunner Pack (Opeth, Trivium, Dream Theater), + Starship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably skip the Trivium myself based on that news.
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played all three on drums. Opinions:

On the Backs of Angels: This one's devil-tiered, but it doesn't really deserve it. There's maybe one or two parts that could fail you, but they aren't very long, so if you flail, you'll get by just fine. Otherwise, the song is pretty fun. There's a decent amount of variety, and the epic length is a plus. There are also some cool effects during the intro of the song I haven't seen on any other song. Overall, it's a good value for drummers, although it is easy compared to Constant Motion and Panic Attack for sure. 4/5

Ghost of Perdition: Definitely the highlight of the weak. This one's tiered more appropriately at 5 dots, but it has a ton of variety. This one clocks in at ten and a half minutes, and the only downtime is for about in the middle. The beats you play all have really fun patterns, many including drags (double hits on red) that keep your skills tested. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite drum tracks ever yet (hello, Aesthetics of Hate), but it's a no-brainer for drummers, and will get many replays by me. 4.5/5

In Waves: As a song, this is my least favorite song in the pack by a good margin, and same thing goes for the chart. The chart is decent, although it is somewhat repetitive. The main parts you'll play are the verses and the chorus, neither which is too complex, although both are challenging for your foot for different reasons. I still had a decent time with it though, so if you're picking up the other two, you might as well get this one at a discount along with them. 3/5
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
Quazifuji  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R3venG wrote:
The song still shouldn't be devil tiered on guitar. Afterlife is way harder throughout the entire song, let alone the solo, and that doesn't even get devil heads. HMX and their crazy difficulty ratings...

Afterlife is horribly undertiered though, it really shouldn't be a reference for what deserves final tier. From the video, We Built This City looks borderline for the last tier. It looks pretty nasty, but it's short enough that you can probably flail through it with OD if you know to save a full bar in advance.
urikobb3  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why In Waves was pulled on the Wii. The intro riff has a really fast pulsating white light. It's really distracting and I can fully understand why it was pulled.

I don't even have epilepsy but I didn't like playing that part of the song; which is a shame because I liked the rest.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya this week's tierings are a bit odd to say the least. But charting wise I really have no complaints so far regarding Opeth or DT, I haven't bought the Trivium song yet though so I can't comment on the seizure inducing animations.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
Ya this week's tierings are a bit odd to say the least.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a HMX sense of humor thing... "We put out a new Roadrunner pack + Starship and Starship was the highest tiered song".
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
Ya this week's tierings are a bit odd to say the least. But charting wise I really have no complaints so far regarding Opeth or DT, I haven't bought the Trivium song yet though so I can't comment on the seizure inducing animations.

They aren't too bad, in my opinion. DT should probably be moved down a tier for guitar and drums, but Opeth is pretty much spot on, as is Trivium. Even at that, I wouldn't be surprised if HMX tiered DT high because of how low they did Constant Motion, and they don't want to screw it up again. Or maybe my standards of what should be final tier are too high.

Also, guitar opinions:

On the Backs of Angels: Like drums, this one's a tier too high. Other than the two solos early in the song (which are both exactly the same), you could FC the entire first five minutes of the song pretty easily. The main solo does get somewhat crazy near the end of it, but it's nowhere near Constant Motion crazy. It has a couple fun bits, but again, this is my least favorite of the DT songs to play. Definitely a good buy overall, but if you only play guitar you might want to watch a preview. 3.5/5

Ghost of Perdition: Again, just like on drums, this song is the highlight of the week. It's tiered about perfectly (it's tiered the same as pre-RBN 2.0 final tier guitar songs), and is full of variety. The song doesn't stay the same for very long, and you'll find yourself frequently switching between challenging HOPO parts, chord parts, and a combination of both. The length also helps add a ton of value to this track. None of the parts are too hard though, as this is the only song in the pack I could see myself FCing. Hell, I even got gold on my SR, but considering you earn gold at around 500k points, it feels like an accomplishment. 4.5/5

In Waves: Of the three tracks, this is the only one that's more fun on guitar than drums. It's pretty simple overall, with the much of it consisting of the chugging riff that kicks off in the intro. However, there are also two solos that are both cool, but not too hard. The second solo did throw me off a bit though, and it would definitely prevent many potential FCs from happening. Still though, it never really gets boring, and even though I'm not a huge fan of the band, it's great to play another one of their tracks on guitar, considering it has been SO LONG since Detonation came out on GH2 (a song I still really like, and would love in RB3). 4/5

Overall Impressions:

On the Backs of Angels: Fun overall. Pick it up if you love DT, but be aware it's not quite as hard as the tiering suggests. 3.75/5

Ghost of Perdition: Long, challenging, and full of variety. If you love RB enough to visit this site, you need this track. 4.5/5

In Waves: Solid all around, and if you're picking up the other two, this one is definitely worth it at a discount. 3.75/5
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On pro keys, Opeth and Starship were SR passes. Opeth is probably really a 4-dot song but anything long always get bumped up a bit. I horded OD waiting for when I'd need it and I basically never did. Starship is just fun... plenty of three-note chords but nothing really weird.

Dream Theater is a bit harder .
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DT song got better to listen to as it goes along. At first I thought it was horribly mundane. It's grew a bit. And I know it's better to play on pretty much everything but to be honest, and I know I'm going to be part of a very small minority, but I'd still much rather have got Pull Me Under, and not just to get it out of the way. I had a look at a video for PMU again on a refresher course, and, well, I'd like to see it on RB. I don't care for the GH:WT engine anymore, once GH5 came out it pretty much became obsolete. GH5/WOR(? Not sure if there's any alterations, apart from bass obviously having open held notes retrofitted to old songs.) is pretty much my favourite engine, which is a pity as I don't play it much anymore. Though nowadays I hardly tell the difference between GH/RB because...well, improvement, etc. But my point is that playing on the WT engine is now rubbish (Not just because of those purple notes), I'd like to play it on an engine I enjoy, it's a great song and I much prefer it to what we've got.

Still, I will say, OTBOA looks fun. I may have to get it, but I won't go and buy it instantly when it comes out on PSN tomorrow. I'll see what happens for the next week or two for DLC, and see if it's worth spending some of the money I have left in my account on it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
On pro keys, Opeth and Starship were SR passes. Opeth is probably really a 4-dot song but anything long always get bumped up a bit. I horded OD waiting for when I'd need it and I basically never did. Starship is just fun... plenty of three-note chords but nothing really weird.

Dream Theater is a bit harder .

Understatement of the week. Even reduced to one-hand, that keyboard solo is nuts, even more so than I thought it would be.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
YoshiiixD  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeaahh In Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaves!
xboxpro57  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTBOA was meh on guitar, I thought. Difficult at a few spots I suppose, but that was the only real fun part.

In Waves I actually enjoyed a lot. The seizure-inducing lighting is kinda annoying, but I think that's only because I was looking for it, and couldn't unnotice it after that. Really enjoyable to play the whole way through though. And the strumming bit in the solo was unexpected but very fun.

Cowdude7  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish the DT song was Bridges in the Sky or Lost Not Forgotten instead of On the Backs of Angels, but OTBOA represents the new album well, and the point of putting song off the new album for Rock Band DLC is probably to help sell the new album, so they picked the right one for their purposes. I think they really need to put up a DT song with a nice, long instrumental section, though. Or just an instrumental song of theirs. I feel like Dream Theater is being misrepresented if they never get a song with a 3+ minute instrumental section put into the series. I'd like to see what happens if they put up The Dance of Eternity for DLC. If OTBOA was max difficulty on all instruments... they'd need a patch to add a new difficulty rating for that one.

But alas, at a minimum of 3-4 songs a week and multiple genres to represent, we can't all have our favorite songs get added...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowdude7 wrote:
I'd like to see what happens if they put up The Dance of Eternity for DLC. If OTBOA was max difficulty on all instruments... they'd need a patch to add a new difficulty rating for that one.

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1758758#1758758
<_<

(it's not as hard as you think it is, except maybe on keys. Ruddess freaking owns that song.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye on a rock band setting Dance of Eternity would be quite easy.

The hardest part of that song is memorizing all the god damn time changes, which seeing as Rock Band takes care of that for you, that gets rid of the main source of difficulty.

Now if we start talking about some of Dream Theater's live jams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQmv_xcMOIU

Then yes, people would die: Especially on guitar and keys.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: