FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
11/29 DLC: Roadrunner Pack (Opeth, Trivium, Dream Theater), + Starship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the only complaint is that you want "more", you have nothing to complain about.

Now, give me more!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't paid much attention to recent Dream Theater but the keyboard part on the new song is going to be ridiculous. Only thing is if the piano runs are played with two hands I could see them simplifying it the same way they did with the Prelude/Angry Young Man chart, charting only the right hand part.
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
I haven't paid much attention to recent Dream Theater but the keyboard part on the new song is going to be ridiculous. Only thing is if the piano runs are played with two hands I could see them simplifying it the same way they did with the Prelude/Angry Young Man chart, charting only the right hand part.

Most of the keyboard part should be playable with one hand, because that's how Jordan does it. He's usually using his left hand to switch patches or use the pitch bend or something. The one part of this particular song that will definitely get simplified is the piano break about 2/3 through right before the guitar solo. There's a piano solo section that is played using a traditional grand piano patch and is definitely a two-handed part. It'll still be insane, even with only the right hand.

Incidentally, if you haven't paid much attention to recent DT, you should definitely give the new album a listen. I think it's a marked improvement over their more recent albums, and one track in particular, Breaking All Illusions, is like a mad love child between Learning to Live and Liquid Tension Experiment. It is without a doubt the progiest track they've done in a long time and, IMO, the best fucking song they've written since at least Scenes From A Memory, possibly even since Images and Words. I'm tackling this track for my next custom chart.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorkmasterFlek wrote:

Most of the keyboard part should be playable with one hand, because that's how Jordan does it. He's usually using his left hand to switch patches or use the pitch bend or something. The one part of this particular song that will definitely get simplified is the piano break about 2/3 through right before the guitar solo. There's a piano solo section that is played using a traditional grand piano patch and is definitely a two-handed part. It'll still be insane, even with only the right hand.

Yeah, that's exactly the part I was thinking of. I don't expect to be able to pass it right away.

Quote:
Incidentally, if you haven't paid much attention to recent DT, you should definitely give the new album a listen. I think it's a marked improvement over their more recent albums, and one track in particular, Breaking All Illusions, is like a mad love child between Learning to Live and Liquid Tension Experiment. It is without a doubt the progiest track they've done in a long time and, IMO, the best fucking song they've written since at least Scenes From A Memory, possibly even since Images and Words. I'm tackling this track for my next custom chart.

I should take another listen. I listened to the whole album once and this song a couple times. I'm basically into their 1989-1994 period, although I like parts of SFAM, and I moved away from them at one point once it seemed like they weren't ever going back to the early sound.
Xepher850  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get In Waves right away, pick up the others a bit later.

MY ROCK BAND DRUM ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Will not remove from my signature until the whole debut album from Periphery is released as DLC
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
I should take another listen. I listened to the whole album once and this song a couple times. I'm basically into their 1989-1994 period, although I like parts of SFAM, and I moved away from them at one point once it seemed like they weren't ever going back to the early sound.

At the risk of this becoming a DT thread, I had to listen to the new album several times before it suddenly starting "clicking", for lack of a better term. The first time I listened to it straight through, I felt like I got hit by a freight train. The technical intensity on songs like Bridges in the Sky, Lost Not Forgotten and Outcry is just insane, even by DT standards. You need to give it several listens just to digest what the hell is going on. Even though there's still plenty of metal going on, I noticed more focus on melodic lines in the compositions. OTBOA is basically Pull Me Under 2.0 but there's definitely a strong melodic underpinning to the whole song. Jordan's keyboards sound much more prominent in the mix as well, which probably helps. Even on Build Me Up, Break Me Down which is usually regarded as the weakest track on the album, there are some epic keys that work really well. That track in particular reminds me a lot of the style of Awake, specifically Caught in a Web. I really like the vocal layering in the chorus on that track.

Lost Not Forgotten is probably my second favourite track on the album overall. That track is just pure badass the whole way. Cool rhythmic syncopation between the vocals and guitar in the verse, awesome catchy chorus, and wicked instrumental breakdown in vein of Under a Glass Moon with one of Petrucci's better solos IMO. Outcry has some cool timing changes in the verses, and technically it's probably the most insane thing on the album when it hits the breakdown. Bridges in the Sky has an absolutely awesome build-up into the instrumental breakdown. The vocals are soaring high and the instrumental line is just mad riffing up and then down into the break. I get chills listening to that. I hate to rag on James (I never listened to DT for the vocals, sometimes I wish they'd write only instrumentals), but that's honestly one of the few times where his vocal part has actually made a big contribution to the sound as a whole to me personally. This song is also, I think, the best they've ever done at capturing a Middle Eastern sound and feel in their instrumental parts. They've tried it before (and even in Outcry on the very next track), but it really works here IMO. Also, another really awesome Petrucci solo on this one. I think he has some of his best soloing on this album.

Breaking All Illusions is, as I said, the best gorram thing they've written in years as far as I'm concerned. That song is an eargasm for prog-heads like myself.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
xGaberadex  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prong1978 wrote:
I just really hope that it's the original album track and not the re-record.
It's definitely the original album track.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 shit bands (DT and Trivium), 1 good band (Opeth) and one meh band with a catchy song.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant be the only one who thinks We Built This City is the worst song ever created by any species in the history of the universe can I??? Thankful its overshadowed by the hopefully funness that will be this whole pack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buttfaceninja wrote:
I cant be the only one who thinks We Built This City is the worst song ever created by any species in the history of the universe can I???

It's pretty traditional for that song to top "worst song ever" polls, so no, you're very conventional in your belief. Personally, I've always liked it because I first heard it when I was young and innocent.
johnnyhala  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad134 wrote:
OTBOA will be ridiculous on Drums and Keyboard. Guitar won't be as hard as the other DT songs we have, but Pro Guitar will be mental.

That was one of my thoughts as well. As much as people, at least in this thread, seem to be disappointed in the song choice, this IS the first DT song with keyboards. So get ready to tickle some ivory.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MAN. OH MAN.

OPETH. YES.

As a drummer I am super pumped for this week. Dream Theater and Opeth are going to be fun as hell. Trivium might be as well.

Anyone complaining that we only got 3 songs, I see it this way:

Ghost of Perdition is 10 1/2 minutes of Opeth goodness

On The Backs of Angels is 8 3/4 minutes of Dream Theater goodness

In Waves is 6 1/2 minutes of Trivium

We're getting almost 26 minutes of music out of this 3 pack.

This week is mega win for Drummers.
youhas  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
buttfaceninja wrote:
I cant be the only one who thinks We Built This City is the worst song ever created by any species in the history of the universe can I???

It's pretty traditional for that song to top "worst song ever" polls, so no, you're very conventional in your belief. Personally, I've always liked it because I first heard it when I was young and innocent.

I think "We Built This City" tops a lot of "worst song ever" polls because of the heritage of the group. I mean, if Random Johnny Suckbuttom penned "We Built This City" and it was a guilty-pleasure chart-topper, no one would give it all that much notice. But Jefferson Airplane and its variants were historic, comprised of veritable rock gods... who then produced something like this? Unabashedly selling out to recent changes in what was conventionally popular? What an outrage! It's like learning that Picasso was written a fat check to paint up a series of Bazooka Joe comics or something! It'd be hard to assemble a more perfect "pop song crafted to be a conventionally-hated lightning rod" entity if one were actively trying.

I personally don't care about any of that. And am happy to have another song to toss into the "tunes my mom will actually sing in the game" bucket, to be honest.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Bront  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, after listening to the RR stuff, OTBOA is the only one I'll think about snagging, and I'm iffy on that, so I'll probably hold off and see if it calls to me in a few weeks.

Songs: Just over 1000.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
I think "We Built This City" tops a lot of "worst song ever" polls because of the heritage of the group.

Could very well be. I know with many of my progger friends, the band Asia is regarded the same way. Since the late 70s, prog was dying... Yes was more or less broken up, Genesis had gone pop, Gentle Giant was gone, ELP was done, King Crimson was around but doing a new thing. Then you find out about this new band Asia with Steve Howe and Geoff Downes from Yes, John Wetton from King Crimson, Carl Palmer from ELP, and pretty Roger Dean artwork. Buy the album, bring it home, put it on the turntable, and... it was the heat of the moment!

I mean Asia is really no "worse" than any amount of disposable pop from the 80s, but they are the seventh circle of Hell for a number of people who grew up on minimoogs and Mellotrons. Asia doesn't get the same level of backlash from rock critics because critics hated the feeder bands in the first place so they didn't expect anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: