FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thoughts on the RB3 vox engine
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyadesD4  

Location: A long-ass fuckin' time ago in a town called Kickapoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billtvshow wrote:

And it's not like the bonuses for harmonies are a little bit less than the other pro instruments. They are ridiculously lower when compared to the final results on songs. I think that the bonuses should have been a minimum of 2x higher and possibly as much as 3x higher.

100% agree with this. Perfect Harmony FCs go virtually unnoticed on the the leaderboards because the bonus is so small. Most of the time you get more points from activating mid-phrase and ESing.

MasterNobody wrote:
And somebody make D4 a banner! ^^^ He's an awesome guy and doesn't afraid of anything.
Jonathan-Ang  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the RB3 vox engine Reply with quote

LucasPWNS8907 wrote:

maybe the lack of legitimate competition is also demotivating to me. there's so many songs yet so fewer people that are actively competing. there's maybe 5 vocalists i see at the top of the leaderboards all the time.

/end rant

Lots of pro vocalist quit because of 2 main reasons, rampant cheating and protest of 'back button' ODs.

I'm too heavily invested into this game to quit but the obvious cheating on the leaderboards is seriously irritating
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BuRnInGJoNaThAn PSN Name: Jonathan-Ang
MrWednesday  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the RB3 vox engine Reply with quote

Jonathan-Ang wrote:

Lots of pro vocalist quit because of 2 main reasons, rampant cheating and protest of 'back button' ODs.

I'm too heavily invested into this game to quit but the obvious cheating on the leaderboards is seriously irritating

Wait, they're protesting the button OD activation? Seriously? Good riddance. I always thought the need to do voice activation was a little annoying, and the annoyance reached epic proportions when the vocal engine in RB3 wouldn't always recognize my attempts at activation.

Now, cheating really does concern me. I'm by no means one of the top vocalists around---it's certainly what I'm best at doing, I can count on one hand the FCs I have on other instruments, whereas I don't even bother to count my vocals FCs---but when I think I have a song pretty much nailed, it always nags at me whether the two or three people ahead of me on the leaderboard got there legitimately. I particularly noteworthy example would be "In Bloom", where there's about 40 people tied with the #3 score, then one person in second with one tick more points, and then one in first with four more ticks more points. Did they get that with an insanely good squeeze or by some sort of trickery? No way for me to know, and that's the fault of Harmonix for the bugs in scoring that let people cheat.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the RB3 vox engine Reply with quote

Jonathan-Ang wrote:

Cheating yes, but who has quit because of Select/Back OD activation? Virtually everyone hates the manual activation in RB3 because you can't change microphone sensitivity. Even those of us on PS3 who can alter our mic sensitivity from the console settings STILL hate RB3's vocal overdrive activations. It does more to level the playing field, sure, but frustration from missed activation windows is something I don't miss at all.

If anything, Rock Band has moved heavily away from the competitive scene; RB3 doesn't even have a score duel mode, and I'd say that has done more to discourage the competitive atmosphere than something tertiary like button OD activation (which every other instrument has - except drums, sort of).
Jonathan-Ang  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the RB3 vox engine Reply with quote

I cant remember who but I have seen people posting here who say they quit for the 'back' od thing and i'm too lazy to search for it......

And as for who cheated, there has been a few people who has admitted here as well they cheat openly.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BuRnInGJoNaThAn PSN Name: Jonathan-Ang
Iggy-Sparks  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know the two persons on the top scores of In Bloom are not cheaters.
The only cheater I know of is PresidentGoatse/warkwark.

And I cheated on one song : I got you (I feel good) by James Brown, but at the time I did that I didn't know it was considered as cheating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: McDuboff
MrWednesday  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggy-Sparks wrote:
As I know the two persons on the top scores of In Bloom are not cheaters.

What bothers me is, the way scoring works, there is room left for doubt about scoring on any particular song. "In Bloom" jumps out particularly because there's a cluster with only a few points less than #1 and #2. I know they're serious players, both of whom post here occasionally and both of whom have provided paths for some songs (and, incidentally, both are clearly better at RB vocals than I am).
Billtvshow  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the button activations. The whole whooping to activate is straight up bad for your voice.
It would be incredibly useful, especially for harmonies, if we had the option to disable sound activations. Or at worst, controllable sensitivity levels. Every time a vocal OD is accidentally activated by a shuffling mic or sneeze, a puppy dies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The select activations are a godsend which should have been part of the engine since the very beginning. Trying to make weird sounds just to get the OD window to activate (Tangled Up in Blue looking at you) was stupid.

The interface and the fact that octaves are now in different shades make's it a lot easier when to octave shift/use falsetto on a section.

I find the engine scoring itself kinda random. On some songs the engine is far easier than RB2. The woahhhahhhahah phrases in Peace of Mind which were a nightmare in RB2 are now a joke on RB3, and on certain long phrases, vibrato will easily fill up the meter. Then you have phrases where you need to be exact to combo (no no no no no phrase in BoRap).

Also the talkies suck in this game. I like the fact that they don't have broken talkies anymore, but I either have to falsetto them or literally yell at them at times to get them to hit. I've lost combo many times on all talkie phrases because i wasn't loud enough(can't adjust sensitivity is stupid as hell). The new talky glitch can die in a fire too. Especially if you ever encounter it online when they choose a metal song. It's not fun failing a metal song because all talkies cease to work, or ruin an FC run thanks to the glitch affecting the talky near the end of a song.

Jonathan-Ang  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkies can be a pain sometimes, there are songs i was doing while on a recent es3 run (non scoring run so i cant be other with FCs and stuff) where talkies would register for 1 phrase and then not for another) restarting (I did for up to 3 times) didnt work and it was always the same pharse. This made me begin to wonder if some talkies have to be shouted at or even need to be in tune coz it didnt manage to when i tried to go in the correct tune and octave (dont ask me which song, 83 at a go made me abit brain dead)
MrWednesday  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a non-bug problem with the talkies. The bug has bitten me a couple of times, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: