FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CyberRaiza's Drumming Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: CyberRaiza's Drumming Thread Reply with quote

I'm going to put any and all qualms, requests or needs for help/advice I have in this one thread because I have questions or difficulty frequently and instead of always making a new thread I think it'll be more concise to put everything in here and it'll avoid cluttering up the forum.

1)Let There Be Rock (live)
This is so hard. I'm not trying to be dramatic but I would tier it up with like Caught in a Mosh, Good Mourning/Black Friday, Roundabout, Run to the Hills, Guns of Summer.

I don't understand how your supposed to move your right arm for the yellow fast enough without intense physical pain. For the record no song except maybe I Want To Be Your Man (Beatles) physically hurts me close to as much. I try using the left to hit a yellow but I still drop combo and it still hurts so bad. How are you supposed to play this song? I gave up after two minutes, it wasn't worth injuring myself and wasting eight minutes of my life. xD

2)Double-stroking/Bouncing (paraddidles)
I need help becoming better at double-stroking/bouncing. I'm decent enough at it, I can use a R L L R L pattern for the quintuplets (?) in the beginning of Kryptonite and I can 99% Roundabout using bouncing/double-stroking for all the paraddidles. (PS I know the difference between double-stroking and bouncing but I'm not quite sure which one I always do so I treat them as generally the same thing though I probably just bounce a lot more than double-stroke).

But there are times when I cant bounce at all or it feels really weak and like I suck at it. For example in Times Like These (Foo Fighters) I can't hit the two fast yellows after the two snares at all no matter what I try. And if I were playing something like rolls at 2:33 in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzcCHmS-dlA&feature=relmfu I would never think to doublestroke I would just alternate. I basically need to actively try to do a doublestroke which is probably because for something like that I couldnt hit it doublestroking. I also can't do more than two or three doublestrokes directly in a row if its even moderately fast (like RR LL RR)

Is there any advice to get better at it or make it feel more natural?

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"

Last edited by CyberRaiza on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the Beatles one or the Free DLC one?

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:
If only there were a like button for ScoreHero posts...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthFizz wrote:
Do you mean the Beatles one or the Free DLC one?

whoops that clarification would be good, the Beatles one

machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume he's talking about the Beatles track.

It's a tough endurance track, for sure. There's too much left-hand movement to really use the alternating-hands trick effectively.

I'd consider it easier than most of what you mentioned if only because of the length. It's under 3 minutes long, and far less tiring on the other limbs than it is for the right hand (Compared to something like GM/BF or Caught in a Mosh, which pretty well tired out all your limbs).

If you really want endurance, go play Let There Be Rock (Live). It's constant 8th note hihats at a higher tempo than I Wanna Be Your Man, but for 7.5 minutes straight, followed by a minute and a half long BRE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KMFY6SizEs

It's torture.
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:
I would assume he's talking about the Beatles track.

It's a tough endurance track, for sure. There's too much left-hand movement to really use the alternating-hands trick effectively.

I'd consider it easier than most of what you mentioned if only because of the length. It's under 3 minutes long, and far less tiring on the other limbs than it is for the right hand (Compared to something like GM/BF or Caught in a Mosh, which pretty well tired out all your limbs).

If you really want endurance, go play Let There Be Rock (Live). It's constant 8th note hihats at a higher tempo than I Wanna Be Your Man, but for 7.5 minutes straight, followed by a minute and a half long BRE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KMFY6SizEs

It's torture.

The length is pretty good, but theres just no single part in any of those songs for me that is as draining. i mean i cant actually hit a lot of guns of summer so maybe if i had to play all of those notes thered be parts that are more tiring.

And yeah I've never played let there be rock live for that reason xD I've heard far too much bad about it

DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about an attempt to FC? 5*? Pass?

If you want to pass it then just try to get overdrive and when you see a green light on the green lane just don't play, and right after that overdrive note comes up start playing again without hitting it. It's like bootlegging without the overdrive lanes.

If you want to 5* it then try and use the alternating hands method every now and then, but not the entire song because it's hard to do with beats like that. Start building up your speed too. Also, if you want, find the path to this song so you can have a better chance at 5*.

If you want to FC it then build up your speed a lot and try to not use the alternating hands method because it's not the correct way to play and can possibly leave you with habits, especially with that kind of beat. Plus it will be hard as hell to get consistent with it for an FC run. Also once you get the beat down work on the fills right after that. The simple fills that come out of nowhere prevented me from SRFC'ing this.

I, for one, am not fond of that alternating hands method, especially if your a real drummer and using that method on stuff that's possible to hit one handed.

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:

Last edited by DarthFizz on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let There Be Rock (Live) is an excellent and not TOO brutal workout that helps build endurance, which you're going to need in a lot of songs, including IWBYM. Play that.
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
Let There Be Rock (Live) is an excellent and not TOO brutal workout that helps build endurance, which you're going to need in a lot of songs, including IWBYM. Play that.

Not too brutal?

Endurance-wise, that's one of the most brutal songs I've ever played. It's like the verses to Dammit (blink-182) in terms of tempo, but for 3 times the length.
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthFizz wrote:
Are we talking about an attempt to FC? 5*? Pass?

If you want to pass it then just try to get overdrive and when you see a green light on the green lane just don't play, and right after that overdrive note comes up start playing again without hitting it. It's like bootlegging without the overdrive lanes.

If you want to 5* it then try and use the alternating hands method every now and then, but not the entire song because it's hard to do with beats like that. Start building up your speed too. Also, if you want, find the path to this song so you can have a better chance at 5*.

If you want to FC it then build up your speed a lot and try to not use the alternating hands method because it's not the correct way to play and can possibly leave you with habits, especially with that kind of beat. Plus it will be hard as hell to get consistent with it for an FC run. Also once you get the beat down work on the fills right after that. The simple fills that come out of nowhere prevented me from SRFC'ing this.

I, for one, am not fond of that alternating hands method, especially if your a real drummer and using that method on stuff that's possible to hit one handed.

I can pass it fine and I never want to try enough to FC it so 5 star then xD

I will use the alternate hands method occasionally which should ease up some of the strain. Yeah Im a real drummer which is part of the reason I don't like the alternating hands method, but it seems like its a nice crutch ill say for now.

@Hobo111 then I shall give it a try

@machetemonkey: o.O discrepancy lol it does seem very brutal, but im sure to many people Run to the Hills would seem worse than IWTBYM xD ill weigh in my own opniion too when i play LTBR

Hobo111  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:
Hobo111 wrote:

Not too brutal?

Endurance-wise, that's one of the most brutal songs I've ever played. It's like the verses to Dammit (blink-182) in terms of tempo, but for 3 times the length.
I GSed it on SR and I'm horrible with endurance. (Of course, that may partly be due to the BRE.)
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread Edited for Accuracy.

TimEbaysball  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from somone who's FCed it on regular drums and PRO drums, my advice would be to use alternating hands like DarthFizz explained. Even if you do it this way your hands will get tired but it's a lot better than doing it all 1 handed. You can see the method I use in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw12dNdIP5g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimEbaysball wrote:
Coming from somone who's FCed it on regular drums and PRO drums, my advice would be to use alternating hands like DarthFizz explained. Even if you do it this way your hands will get tired but it's a lot better than doing it all 1 handed. You can see the method I use in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw12dNdIP5g

I will try using the alternating hands constantly. The problem is not so much tired in the usual sense, but my arms (feel like they) are literally about to tear or spasm. Like I need to stop doing anything for a few seconds to relieve the pain. Like if you've been running for a long time and your lungs are burning and you just need to stop cause your having trouble drawing breath. I usually have good endurance, like Run to the Hills or lots of blasting and thrash beats is no problem for my arms, but this is just like o.O

DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberRaiza wrote:
I will try using the alternating hands constantly. The problem is not so much tired in the usual sense, but my arms (feel like they) are literally about to tear or spasm. Like I need to stop doing anything for a few seconds to relieve the pain.

You just need to practice. Start slow and build up your speed. My speed came from boredom in band class. I had nothing to do because it wasn't a percussion class, so for 30-40 minutes every day I started doing eighth notes (eight per hand, repeat about 4-5 times; a metronome is mandatory and a drum pad is recommended) at around 150 beats per minute, and slowly went up every 5-10 to doing around 290 beats per minute for about half a year during my sophomore year of high school. Eventually I broke 310 beats per minute at eight notes, which is about the same as sextuplets at 195 beats per minute, which is the same speed as the Visions blasts (I think). Also another way to help you're endurance is to use HEAVY STICKS. Warm up with heavy sticks for awhile and then use you're lightest sticks available later and you will feel the difference. Now I'm not saying use marching sticks, because generally marching sticks aren't supposed to be used on drumsets at all. Plus a drum pad rebounds very well, so it depends on how much rebound your drumkit has too.

Now that was for speed. For endurance, I'd say to do all of the above, except don't stop when you're doing eighths, and keep going. See if you can do eighth notes at X bpm for Y minutes. Get what I'm saying? If you don't have a metronome, you can get them cheap at your local music store or online. Same for a drum pad, but most of them are usually more expensive than a metronome.

Hope this helps.

Also, I've never played Kryptonite on drums before, but telling by the ajanta chart, it looks like all sextuplets; R LR LRLRL LR.

HerbieHero wrote:
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthFizz wrote:

You just need to practice. Start slow and build up your speed. My speed came from boredom in band class. I had nothing to do because it wasn't a percussion class, so for 30-40 minutes every day I started doing eighth notes (eight per hand, repeat about 4-5 times; a metronome is mandatory and a drum pad is recommended) at around 150 beats per minute, and slowly went up every 5-10 to doing around 290 beats per minute for about half a year during my sophomore year of high school. Eventually I broke 310 beats per minute at eight notes, which is about the same as sextuplets at 195 beats per minute, which is the same speed as the Visions blasts (I think). Also another way to help you're endurance is to use HEAVY STICKS. Warm up with heavy sticks for awhile and then use you're lightest sticks available later and you will feel the difference. Now I'm not saying use marching sticks, because generally marching sticks aren't supposed to be used on drumsets at all. Plus a drum pad rebounds very well, so it depends on how much rebound your drumkit has too.

Now that was for speed. For endurance, I'd say to do all of the above, except don't stop when you're doing eighths, and keep going. See if you can do eighth notes at X bpm for Y minutes. Get what I'm saying? If you don't have a metronome, you can get them cheap at your local music store or online. Same for a drum pad, but most of them are usually more expensive than a metronome.

Hope this helps.

Also, I've never played Kryptonite on drums before, but telling by the ajanta chart, it looks like all sextuplets; R LR LRLRL LR.

All of this is noted. I don't have a drum pad and I'm kind of broke now so I dont know if I'll get one, but I'll consider it. I can already go about 190 pretty well, I'll continue to build it up. Thanks

And thanks I'll try doing it for extended periods of time and I do have a metronome.

As for Kryptonite I thought it was played as paradiddles in real life so I tried it like that the last time or two. I always used to alternate hands :p Cept I don't lead off with the left on patterns that fast cause I can't I cant do fast triplets or quads for instance starting with my left hand. I've tried working on it a bit. My hand can go fast enough but it's hard to mentally lead off with my left and follow through alternating o.O I dont know why.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: