FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
7/26 DLC: Yes!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
I don't know how to explain my opinions of prog without sounding like a lunatic or just flat-out contradicting myself all over the place. Let's just say my preference for this sort of thing leans far more towards the psychedelic and Krautrock end of the spectrum. Get me some Amon Duul (either of them) in RB and I'll be as excited as anyone in this topic... although I'm pretty sure I'll be alone on that.

I would take Can over Amon Duul II (never bothered with Amon Duul), but to each their own . What we now call "prog" from the 70s was in fact so many different styles / influences / goals, that it doesn't really make sense to accept or reject it all monolithically. I don't think you need to feel contradicted about it. That's why when I see those amusing interviews with 70s musicians who insist they didn't feel like they were part of the same scene as "all those other overblown bands", I think they really believe what they were saying. Everyone kind of got lumped into the same boat together after the fact.

I guess what I'd say to your point is that barring RBN, for niche tastes, you have to take what you get. There's plenty of Yes songs I'd prefer over some of the ones we got, and there's plenty of other bands I'd prefer over Yes, but none of that is on the table. I know I will dig the hell out of playing these cuts, and if someone ever finds a way to bring Gentle Giant or Van der Graaf Generator to the RBN, I will buy those too.

I am sympathetic to the view that finds some or all prog to be too ridiculous or over the top, but once I stop trying to judge it for something it's not trying to be, I can simply enjoy it as a listener. It's not like Yes wanted to write gritty blues-based heartfelt love songs and accidentally produced Tales from Topographic Oceans.

Abomstar wrote:
it's definitely understandable that someone would like King Crimson and not Yes.

Certainly if Bill Bruford could ditch the latter for the former in 1973, we can hardly regard it as incomprehensible that some of the audience might agree . I'm sometimes in the mood for one, or the other, and I think we can agree it's a good thing Wakeman never played with Crimson, and possibly a good thing that Yes restricted whatever urge they might have had to improvise on stage.
bclare  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:
blingdomepiece wrote:
In the realm of prog, Yes is one of the two or three bands that define the genre. That's like saying in the realm of punk, the Sex Pistols are an acquired taste.

BUt I hate the Sex Pistols...Or, at least I hate Anarchy and their WT song.

Pretty Vacant is the song that was in GHWT.

I like the Sex Pistols, but I'll admit all their songs sound about the same, so I don't understand how you can say you don't like those songs without just saying you don't like the Sex Pistols. Unless you just don't like those songs because they're vaguely well-known, in which case
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
I like the Sex Pistols, but I'll admit all their songs sound about the same, so I don't understand how you can say you don't like those songs without just saying you don't like the Sex Pistols. Unless you just don't like those songs because they're vaguely well-known, in which case

I think it's probably more fair to not judge a band on two songs, even if they are say, The Ramones or whatever. I certainly am not a huge fan of SISOSIG or I Fought The Law, but Lost in the Supermarket is one of my favorite punk songs. (That said, what little I've heard of the Sex Pistols has dissuaded me from further listening.)

Also I want this pack as soon as possible. I'd make a joke about the band's name but that horse has been beaten pretty hard already.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
I think it's probably more fair to not judge a band on two songs
It's actually pretty fair for the Sex Pistols considering they only have the one album.

However, it's not really fair to base them on the Guitar Hero re-records.

Videos. Guitar Hero accomplishments. Rock Band accomplishments. GH customs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv Ganon PSN Name: PanOfMopsicle ICQ Number
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
I'd make a joke about the band's name but that horse has been beaten pretty hard already.

Yes, it has.

>__>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
In the realm of prog, Yes is one of the two or three bands that define the genre. That's like saying in the realm of punk, the Sex Pistols are an acquired taste.

Mind you I find a lot of current "prog" quite formulaic and safe, so maybe we're looking at the same situation in different ways.

Like I said first, most current prog performers consider Yes an inspiration, so I certainly agree with them defining the genre. I guess my stance is that any "innovator" of a musical style is an acquired taste, considering that they are introducing something new in the first place. Also, "acquired taste" may be the wrong term, but I'm sticking with it for lack of anything better. Also, as notably different musical styles become more universally accepted, the innovator of that style becomes dated as the style itself evolves. Kids that listen to metal may respect Sabbath, but if their preference is growled vocals and machine gun-style double kicks, they aren't likely to have Sabbath looping on their iPods. Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully you know what I'm getting at.

this1neguy wrote:
Come Sail Away (oh god the every frickin' instrument in the song including the vocals!), Ohhhh yeah. That would be incredible.

Fixed.

Abomstar wrote:
Sure, you can use that entire book of arguments against Dream Theater…

But that wouldn't make them any less fun to play in this game, especially now that keys are in the mix.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextlevel88 wrote:
Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully you know what I'm getting at.

I get what you are saying, and respect that POV. I am just excited about the DLC .
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me, in the Wishlist Thread on Feb 19 2011 wrote:
I want a Yes pack. I really love anything by Yes, so I don't have any specific wishes except for one: I've Seen All Good People. That would be such an awesome song for vocal harmonies, and the second half of the song would give the other instruments quite a good challenge too. Keys would also be great on both halves

SPLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
I am just excited about the DLC .

That makes two of us… Not counting everyone else that posted in this thread too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextlevel88 wrote:
blingdomepiece wrote:
I am just excited about the DLC .

That makes two of us… Not counting everyone else that posted in this thread too.

And me too! Haven't posted in here yet, but I yelled out when I first saw the announcement...this is the pack I have been waiting for, ever since keys and harmonies were announced (and then Roundabout). Heart of the Sunrise is a great choice, as is ISAGP, and Starship Trooper/OoaLH were givens. I hope that South Side of the Sky will win me over in the context of RB, because I would have traded it for Yours is No Disgrace, but by no means a complaint here.

I've been meaning to pick up a 3rd mic for some time, guess now I have a great excuse...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 2 friends that like to/are decent at singing, it's definitely worth getting the mics. After picking up harmonies, RB3 is like a completely new game. SO much fun, and I love that there are a lot of good harmonies songs on disc that get over looked when playing on other instruments.

With that being said, I cannot wait to buy this when I wake up in the morning. I'm only familiar with I've Seen All Good People and Owner of a Lonely Heart, but I'm assuming the others are just as spectacular? Anybody want to fill me in on any instrument (or vocals) specific parts to look forward to in the others?

LyokoFreaks  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xboxpro57 wrote:
Anybody want to fill me in on any instrument (or vocals) specific parts to look forward to in the others?

All of them on every instrument. I know this wasn't very helpful, but that just means you'll have to buy the whole pack and play every instrument. There's really no excuse not to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LyokoFreaks
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LyokoFreaks wrote:
xboxpro57 wrote:
Anybody want to fill me in on any instrument (or vocals) specific parts to look forward to in the others?

All of them on every instrument. I know this wasn't very helpful, but that just means you'll have to buy the whole pack and play every instrument. There's really no excuse not to.

Seriously! ISAGP is fantastic on vocals, obviously, and the Your Move section in the first half of the song is just a vocal showpiece. Starship Trooper and Heart of the Sunrise are lighter on the vocal harmonies (but awesome instrumentally), but South Side of the Sky has a middle section that is pure harmonies and reminds me a lot of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young the way the vocals are layered.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
DragoonXD  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find the drums that great. I've Seen All Good People and Owner of a Lonely Heart are ridiculously boring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: