FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Creepin Up The Backstairs - broken?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Creepin Up The Backstairs - broken? Reply with quote

Measure 53 - "Special"...this piece of phrase is broken. It's not "alive drop in the park" broken, its more "one way or another" broken. Ive awesome'd it once by sheer luck but missed like 4 accuracy points and got a 99%. I've tried adjusting calibration in either direction, intentionally singing sharp or flat, vibratoing that word, vibratoing the rest of the phrase to get more pie faster, no matter what I do I always get a strong (or an okay if I do worse like in the video).

Here's what JC found out via audition mode:
JCirri wrote:
For some reason, Autoplay won't fully combo a pitched phrase if the end of the last pitched tube is closer than 4/64 to the beginning of a talky that begins the next phrase. It also makes the phrase extremely hard to combo with a human player.
So we know WHAT happens, just not why or how to fix it.

http://site.tmullin.net:81/ipather/charts/xvocals/creepinupthebackstairs_xvocals_blank.png
Here's a video of me "missing" it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAUWs74vzIU

Any ideas??
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it and with a single mic, yes it seems you'll miss it every single time.

HOWEVER, it IS hittable using three mics simultaneously.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Still tricky, but doable.

EDIT: In case it matters, the microphones I used in this case were a pair of Blue/Red wired SingStar PS3 microphones and my Plantronics USB headset.

EDIT 2: By "tricky but doable" I mean that I hit the phrase two times out of seven, not having played the song in over a year.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two mics doesnt seem to make a bit of difference, even if I pause before that word and hold the pitch throughout, I get nothing. Sure the three mics wasnt just a coincidence and it wasnt something else that caused you to hit it?
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
Two mics doesnt seem to make a bit of difference, even if I pause before that word and hold the pitch throughout, I get nothing. Sure the three mics wasnt just a coincidence and it wasnt something else that caused you to hit it?

Nope.

I anticipated your question. Here's another run, got it on 2nd try, after dropping out my headset so I'm only working with 2 SingStar microphones.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT: Ok, got curious and took the song into Practice Mode with a single mic. If you sing straight pitches, no matter how accurate you are, you will NOT hold combo. However, if you've got a VERY fast and very controlled vibrato you CAN hold combo with a single mic, but it will sound very weird because you have to literally vibrato every word while bouncing around the melody at high speed. I was able to do it twice in around a dozen tries after deliberately trying for it. My successful technique sounds almost like I'm shivering while singing; I have to sort of "quiver" my lower lip (say "buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh" as fast as you possibly can; that's sort of what I'm doing).
Arcanon  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not played this song, but I'm the guy who found the Audition Mode problem/fix and posted it on Creators.

Before finding the fix, I was sometimes able to hit the broken phrases with one mic with a combination of exact pitch matching and a bit of vibrato. I'm assuming the phrase in question is pitched; try using vibrato and being as exact as possible. It's how I was able to combo phrases that Audition's autoplay couldn't even combo.

I'm gonna try this song myself tomorrow when people in my house are awake to see this for myself.

EDIT: Looks like I got edit ninja'd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Arcanon24
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcanon - Yes the phrase in question is a pitch backed right up against a talkie at the beginning of the next phrase, just like you described on Creators. Is Icemage's strategy what you did? I'll try the over-vibrato strategy tomorrow. I played it about a dozen times with two mics and it didnt seem to make a lick of difference over one.
Arcanon  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
Arcanon - Yes the phrase in question is a pitch backed right up against a talkie at the beginning of the next phrase, just like you described on Creators. Is Icemage's strategy what you did? I'll try the over-vibrato strategy tomorrow. I played it about a dozen times with two mics and it didnt seem to make a lick of difference over one.

Yeah, using vibrato constantly was what I did for my song in Audition. Though in that one, there were only three pitches in the phrase so it was easier for me to combo.

I tried this song a few times in real runs and practice mode. Sure enough, a few times the pie wouldn't fill or it would seem to. On my last run, I got a 99% FC, but that was for being stupid on an earlier phrase; I comboed the phrase in question just fine with one mic and no vibrato. That means that this song isn't as critically broken as the one I was working on, and a decent amount of vibrato should be enough to nail the phrase.

I'm gonna go for the full FC again before I go back to work, and see how I do then.

EDIT: I just FCed the song. No vibrato on the phrase, one mic. So yeah, if you're just short of filling the pie vibrato should be able to make up the difference on this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Arcanon24
LucasPWNS8907  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember this being a major pain in the ass on this engine. i can hit it with decent consistency. i haven't tried this on ps3 though but when i play on xbox i never use multiple mics unless i'm doing harmonies. that pitch has to be dead on with both pitch and TIMING. most likely your timing is off. take it into practice mode to figure out what timing you need. that should do the trick. but, that song is not easy on this engine. that's all the advice i have. good luck!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LucasPWNS8907 PSN Name: TheyCallMeLucas
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've never noticed this before, bit I've just played it twice now for the first time in RB3 and got it no probs on both runs O_o

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
ReaperZer0  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought it was weird. Was the only song I had 99% on for a while, until a few days ago, I just miraculously got it in band play.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going after it again. Of course I can hit it like 1/5 times in practice but 0/All times playing in full. Argh. If I finally hit that phrase and choke later in the song I'm gonna go apeshit.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never did get it in RB3, but I was able to just get it in RB4. It's still really touchy, I failed a bunch of times before I got it, but its much more doable than it was in RB3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: