FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
6/21 DLC: Maroon 5, Puddle Of Mudd, Otep
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Icemage wrote:
Having F-bombs dropped like megaton firecrackers into the middle of a bar where everyone's drinking probably isn't an issue. Having them dropped into a birthday party for a 10-year old? That's a PR disaster just waiting to happen.

If you do not approve of your child hearing certain words in songs then set parental controls on your Xbox. If you don't do this and you complain anyways you are a shit parent. Yes people are stupid and they will go "HURR DURR it's Harmonix's fault" but that doesn't mean they're right. You can control what your children buy.

It's more on the lines of "this is something you're likely to forget when you're hosting a party so it's better to not have to remember every time". I take my Rock Band setup with me to parties and whatnot quite often, and while I will often ask out of courtesy if anyone objects to borderline language (particularly with kids around), sometimes I forget because I'm too busy setting stuff up and can't be bothered to spend the time to find the host/hostess.

For those of you who only play at home, this isn't (and shouldn't be) an issue. But again, it's one of many concerns that Harmonix has to juggle when determining how to release content. As things stand, no one is really going to refuse to buy a song just because the swear words are blanked out unless it's REALLY obnoxious (Sir Psycho Sexy), but some people would definitely object in the reverse situation even if they know about it ahead of time. And of course there will be people who will claim they had no idea that there were such things in the game and that they weren't warned and will be pointing fingers.

Right or wrong, those are headaches that I'm sure Harmonix has decided they don't want to deal with to gain marginally higher sales. That reasoning has always made sense to me, and while I'd be (personally) totally OK with every song being uncensored (and do so on all my YouTube videos whenever I'm aware of something being cut), that's not the same thing as it making any sort of business sense for Harmonix.
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Icemage wrote:
Having F-bombs dropped like megaton firecrackers into the middle of a bar where everyone's drinking probably isn't an issue. Having them dropped into a birthday party for a 10-year old? That's a PR disaster just waiting to happen.

If you do not approve of your child hearing certain words in songs then set parental controls on your Xbox. If you don't do this and you complain anyways you are a shit parent. Yes people are stupid and they will go "HURR DURR it's Harmonix's fault" but that doesn't mean they're right. You can control what your children buy.

That's common sense. You know how this works. If it's not Harmonix's fault because it's technically allowed, that means that it's ENTIRELY Harmonix's fault. There are people. People will complain. Call me pessimistic but it's definitely likely, and it's an easy way to avoid a lot less hassle for everyone. Why, if it were so easy to say "Oh, it's the PARENT'S fault" then we would have things so much more simple as it is. Hell, the only reason we got "shit" in the last GH DLC is because by that point Activision had all but given up hope, and therefore Beenox had stopped giving a shit, combined with the fact that only the hardcore players even gave a damn about the DLC released at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mav1 wrote:
or I could say you have no taste. I know there are all those songs from Maiden, Megadeth etc but IDGAF I will have them soon.

Well we have a solution then. You can GETBCAGATMYAM and stop posting BS here, and everyone else who can discuss the DLC from the upcoming week in a civil fashion can continue to do that.

Flame war over, srsly. Next person who breaks the peace gets a vacation.

(Go Explore The Back Catalog And Get All The Metal You Are Missing)
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm rather sick of the ridiculous elitism that plagues this site when it comes to music. Just because a song isn't final tier or is pop doesn't mean that you can honestly bash it, or should even post your opinion on it. Different strokes for different folks is definitely a motto to live by, at least when it comes to RB DLC.
free []
Anyway, now that I've gotten that off of my chest, I do believe that this is indeed a good week for DLC, even though I will probably never even consider buying any of the songs that are going to be released next week, as I stated earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's best not to bash music you're just not into, but people should be free to state their opinions. I'm not a fan of either of these bands, but I chose to focus on the one Maroon 5 song I actually kind of like. I never see any sense in being mad about what music came out, it's not like if they didn't release Maroon 5 that we'd get more of whatever music you might want. So when I see a week where there's nothing I want I just get a bit disappointed and move on to waiting for next week.
CHawk  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one (Besides Nvay) that's completely STOKED for all the DLC this Tuesday? >______>

Fuck you guys, I'm going to enjoy this DLC this week.

EDIT: I thought I would never shift-6 Sully, but:

Sully wrote:
I wonder when I'll go completely numb and stop checking the DLC announcements altogether.

^

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the music games are ever going to have the F-bomb in a song. No music game is ever going to come out M-rated because it'd be a massive hit in potential sales.

It's not like you get penalized for singing the censored word, anyway.
Bront  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say I feel dumb that I thought "This Love" was a Stevie Wonder song, when I read that it was inspired musically by him. It's the only song I'll grab this week. Puddle of Mudd stuff is ok, but I'm trying to hold off on just ok stuff.

Songs: Just over 1000.
SonicSpeed  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:
Could Harmonix sell a track pack that's M rated and let you export that into the game? I wonder if they could get around the ESRB that way.

They could certainly get away with it in terms of the ESRB. However, the PR fallout from concerned parents and/or Fox News wouldn't be worth the marginal increase in sales. Gotta remember that Rock Band's best method of marketing isn't what's on the boxes in store shelves; it's people who bring out Rock Band to parties and events and bars.

There is no possible way they would completely get away from the ESRB. The precedent has already been set for them to re-rate games because of new/hacked/patched in content (Oblivion/GTA:SA being the most obvious), so I doubt they would even think about doing anything like that.

As for this weeks worth of DLC its meh for me but since they finally released more Rise Against I'll settle down for now (just waiting for Billy Talent DLC pack )
wambafat  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/cry
Was really hoping for a black dahlia murder release with their new album coming out. Oh well, twas just silly dreaming.
urikobb3  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying the Puddle of Mudd songs for a laugh, remember listening to Blurry and Control when I was finishing school

I'd forgotten about Blurry, so it was a 'OH, THAT SONG!' moment when I heard it.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicSpeed wrote:
Icemage wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:
Could Harmonix sell a track pack that's M rated and let you export that into the game? I wonder if they could get around the ESRB that way.

They could certainly get away with it in terms of the ESRB. However, the PR fallout from concerned parents and/or Fox News wouldn't be worth the marginal increase in sales. Gotta remember that Rock Band's best method of marketing isn't what's on the boxes in store shelves; it's people who bring out Rock Band to parties and events and bars.

There is no possible way they would completely get away from the ESRB. The precedent has already been set for them to re-rate games because of new/hacked/patched in content (Oblivion/GTA:SA being the most obvious), so I doubt they would even think about doing anything like that.

Oblivion and GTA:SA were both re-rated because of hacks that allowed people to access M-rated material on the disc. Not because of DLC.

More to the point, I refer you to the ESRB FAQ:
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/faq.jsp#16.5

Quote:
How does the ESRB rate downloadable video game content?
Downloadable content (DLC) may be downloaded and installed directly onto a player's system. Oftentimes, DLC consists of additional content that supplements an existing, previously-rated product. DLC that will be appended to an existing, previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating will be associated with this DLC.

Emphasis mine.
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was the point of the in game ratings of the songs? You can filter according to family friendly, and parental guidance needed? Each song has one of these categories. If you're playing with family, put it on the family friendly songs! If not, I say put the song in without censoring and make sure the in game rating is appropriate...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:
I'm not sure what the big deal is about the censorship in She Hates Me.

Normally I completely understand. There's a bunch of cursing, and to hear it all get cut out would be incredibly weird.

But, in the case of this particular song...

Well, I can't be the only one who always hears it on the radio, but never really listens to it on my own? It's a very popular radio song (or was), so I can't be the only one who's far more used to hearing the censored version. In just this case, the uncensored version almost sounds weirder to me.

Yeah I'm also more familiar with the radio edit. Nothing stopping one from saying "fucking" oneself anyway.
Mystakin  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Quote:
How does the ESRB rate downloadable video game content?
Downloadable content (DLC) may be downloaded and installed directly onto a player's system. Oftentimes, DLC consists of additional content that supplements an existing, previously-rated product. DLC that will be appended to an existing, previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating will be associated with this DLC.

Emphasis mine.

Re-Emphasis mine. Not that I don't agree with you for the most part, HMX COULD release M-rated DLC if they so pleased... but I doubt they want to add the extra hurdle of re-submitting the songs to the ESRB just so you can say "FUCK" in a Puddle of Mudd song. That, combined with what you already said about PR fallout, mom's complaining, etc. is probably why they avoid it. Additionally, RB has a pretty good reputation of being for all ages ( even with a T-rating ) which M-rated DLC could tarnish at live events. ESRB doesn't prevent HMX from putting out M-rated DLC, but it does provide another roadblock whenever they want to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: