FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
6/14 DLC: Avenged Sevenfold, A-ha, Chumbawamba!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
thecaptainof wrote:
A lot of people don't seem to realise that they existed for well over a decade before that song and that they continue to this day, mostly because a lot of their material is all political an' whatnot and they can't seem to decide what genre they're playing at any given moment. Personally... eh, I don't think anyone's really missing out if all they know is this one song.

Also, re: Cake... we need Comfort Eagle. Like, now.

I vaguely recall Chumbawamba making waves when "Tubthumping" was so widely received, where they were chastised for espousing a "you should listen to our music, even if you have to steal the CD" viewpoint - their anarchic political roots shining through, the statement being solidly in line with their philosophy.

As for Cake: I'm more of a Fashion Nugget person myself... though at this point, seeing any of the band's offerings end up in the game would be embraced with open arms.

JTHomeslice wrote:
RustyWaffle wrote:
(Especially Take On Me, would've only been more epic if we had the Reel Big Fish version).

YES.

Counterpoint: NO. I mean, I like the Reel Big Fish version, it's cool and all... but ask me "epically iconic '80s song? or commercial alternarock band doing a cover of same?" and it's a no-brainer: I'm picking the former, every time. (This also applies to songs I care less about; I'd prefer that the "real" version of 99 Luftballons get into Rock Band rather than the Bjork or Goldfinger covers, minor sacrifices to in-game playability be damned. See also: the Save Ferris cover of "Come On Eileen".)

Nostalgia nonwithstanding, A-Ha were no less commercial than Reel Big Fish. Mostly "epically iconic 80's songs" were really quite commercial at the time. Journey was pretty well despised in the 80's for being commercial, and yet there's probably no rock song as iconic as Don't Stop Believing.

Anyways, beyond that I agree with you. I'd never mind a cover version of a song, but I'd always like to at least have the original one first, or as well. For example, I far prefer Social Distortion's version of Ring of Fire to the original (and I'm saying that as a huge Johnny Cash fan), but the fact that we went almost 2 years with the Social Distortion version before we got the original always bugged the crap out of me.
Tagrineth  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be the only one that wants to play the bassline to Going the Distance

My goals:
Put an X in this box: []
*loves dragons*
stuff i've done, insanely out of date
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Orgys Blue Monday. feels like the original drags. Only good thing is the floppy album art.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth: I would definitely love either of Nena's 99 Red Balloons/Luftballons but I also completely adore Goldfinger's version. It's pretty much a coin toss for which I'd rather have in the game - at least the cover would go some way towards addressing the criminal lack of ska bands in the game, even if it's not a ska song in itself.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
youhas  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:
Nostalgia nonwithstanding, A-Ha were no less commercial than Reel Big Fish. Mostly "epically iconic 80's songs" were really quite commercial at the time. Journey was pretty well despised in the 80's for being commercial, and yet there's probably no rock song as iconic as Don't Stop Believing.

Oh, sure, totally agreed. I did not intend to imply otherwise. I'm aware that the original versions of such things were every bit as commercialized as the covers that followed. I just have a soft spot for the "classical" versions of things.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
machetemonkey wrote:

Oh, sure, totally agreed. I did not intend to imply otherwise. I'm aware that the original versions of such things were every bit as commercialized as the covers that followed. I just have a soft spot for the "classical" versions of things.

Haha that's perfectly fair! I guess I just have a soft spot for third-wave Ska.
thespike  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagrineth wrote:

*cough*

Anyway, Tuesday can't get here fast enough, one of my most anticipated dlc weeks in a few months, Live, A7X and some great singles, flawless victory (but not for my wallet).
http://www.youtube.com/user/ignthespike1
Matt7x  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of them rare weeks where every single song is amazing. I get all DLC anyways but really looking forward to this.

Aiming for all Rock Band DLC: 809 out of 1391 (582 left)
Capt.Howdy  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thespike wrote:
*cough*

Do want.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thespike wrote:
*cough*

I saw the original RB2 custom chart that particular chart is based on. Makes me want it in RB more.

My goals:
Put an X in this box: []
*loves dragons*
stuff i've done, insanely out of date
BlueTornado  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet choices for the A7X songs! I plan to get those tomorrow.

You have died of dysentery. Put in your sig if lemons.
Proud Christian: If you are a Christian, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Christians are on ScoreHero!
***My Accomplishments: 67 RB2 H Guitar FCs!***
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BlueTornadoSH
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagrineth wrote:

YA!
SHADE45.  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have RB3 but was interested in seeing what the charts for these songs looked like. All I have to say is way to fudge up the Take On Me keys -_-
NSiYusuke  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm depressed; they didn't author the arpeggios on keys in Take on Me, and the mix sounds...weird to me. Seems a lot quieter than other songs...

D: I'm kinda disappointed honestly. There's also only guitar during the choruses and last half of the song. I haven't played vocals, bass, or drums yet, though.

RIP RBN
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most interesting things I've noticed was how complex the outro choruses for Tubthumping are on harmonies, and that the same song has no orange notes on XBass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: