FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Expert Vocalist One Stop Shop (Under new management!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: The Expert Vocalist One Stop Shop (Under new management!) Reply with quote

So, take two!

This thread is aimed at 2 types of people:
Type 1, which we will call MrAspiringVocalist.
"I'm a relatively new vocalist, who may have been active on SH for a while doing other instruments, someone who has mainly played for fun but now wants to challenge themselves, or someone completely new. I'd like to know songs that are worth buying for different vocal challenges and I'd also like to hear a little more about the precise things that make them hard. I'd also like to know a little about vocal techniques and generally be a little more active in the vocals community."

Type 2, who we will call MrEstablishedVocalist.
"I've been playing vocals for a while now, and I'd like to help MrAspiringVocalist to find new challenges and increase their level of ability. I'm either doing this out of altruism, or a desire for more competition in the vocals community. I'm a very skilled vocalist who can suggest songs, and give precise advice into how to hit tricky phrases."

Hopefully in this thread, MrEstablishedVocalist can help MrAspiringVocalist to become an Established Vocalist!

Vocal Techniques

Paths
Paths are instructions on how to activate during a song, to get either an optimal or the highest possible score, depending on your activation skills.
There are several threads with instructions on how to execute the paths and the paths themselves.

Vibrato - Vibrato is a classical technique, which oddly enough, fills your pie quicker in TB:RB, GD:RB and RB3. By doing this, you can often fill your pie before the end of a phrase or allow you to "miss" points that you can't hit in a phrase, yet still come out with a combo, due to filling it earlier in the pie.

End Squeezing - After reading the Paths guides, I'm assuming you know what squeezing is. I shouldn't really have put this in here, but end squeezing, or ESs, are an odd thing to get your head round, and are ESSENTIAL to be a competitive vocalist.
ESing means you have a phrase with 2 activation points, one before the phrase, and one inside the actual phrase, due to a long pause. ESing means you don't sing as much as physically possible of the phrase segment BEFORE the second activation point. This allows you to activate later and when liberal vibrato is used, you can get the full pie by the end. Paths will often tell you if the full ES is possible, but you may need to do your own research into the phrase to know your vibrato limits.

I highly encourage people to post videos explaining these techniques, or more techniques that you feel need explaining, if you feel they will help

What Makes A Tricky Song?
Vocals are a subjective thing. They vary wildly from one person to the next and make defining a set 50 or 100 "hard" songs a tricky task, so I've decided to not have a finite limit on songs, but just add any that people may struggle on, people feel deserve mention here. I'm not going to tell people to not bother posting songs below tier 4 or stuff like that because as always, there are TONS of exceptions.

Breathing Control
Flathead - 0:48 - 1:04, 1:36 - 1:52 and 2:32 - 2:48
These are very fast and quite varied pitches so take these sections in particular into practice. There are 2 ways of approaching the sections; by doing each one in one breath, or taking tiny breaths in between phrases. They both work, but you have to find your best style.

They're Red Hot - 0:17 - 1:26
Yes, that's the whole song. This looks very daunting, but by noting some of the key vocal patterns, you should be good. The outro is the hardest bit, so pay that some attention. There are a few places with whole phrases of talkies, so that should give you room to breathe.

Strange/Bad/Alternative Charting
Fat Kid 1:14 and 2:07
I can't really pinpoint the hard part of this song, but there are several very mischarted pitches in this, which mean you need to completely ignore the vocal audio. It's highly recommended to take it into practice mode, turn down the vocal audio and turn on the guide pitch. It will help TONS. This is considered one of the hardest FCs out there, so don't get bogged down in it.

Devil's Child
Not many people have it or have tried it on vocals, but it is very challenging. All of the "oh no!" phrases are short, and they go from the bottom of the chart to the very top. These phrases require good memorization and would be easy for an average player, or even an expert player to miss. The song jumps octaves all over the song, with a lot of high notes and most of the phrases are only a few words. There are also a lot of mischartings which also make it even more difficult to try and remember to sing the pitches differently than heard. In general, this song is just all over the chart, takes a crazy amount of concentration to FC, and has quick slides from the top to the bottom of the chart/vice versa.

Remedy
The main challenging things are the phrases in the chorus. The phrase is "and so we go" and "and tell yourself" 1:07 and 1:15. This happens in all the choruses.

Harmonies in the Lead Chart/Vocal Soloing
Bohemian Rhapsody (Hardest parts - 3:25-4:26)
Though it's debateable as to whether this or Good Vibrations is the hardest on RB3, what you have here is one of the hardest songs in the entire RB series due to it's pitches, not broken talkies. The song has some of the slowest pie-filling in the series too, meaning you have to be on the ball with this song constantly.
Granted, most of the song, while difficult, is totally doable. If you know the song well, you can FC most of the song pretty easily, and if not, then you can adapt to the majorty of the song too. But one whole section pushes this into one of the hardest songs in the series.
The Bridge.
If HMX had just charted Mercury to this lead vocal part, the song wouldn't be incredibly hard. However, what they have done here is mish-mash multiple harmony parts, such as the high/low Gallieo parts during 3:35, to the solo vocal part. The bridge is all over the place, in terms of octaves, pitches and whatnot because you're basically singing all the parts of the choir.
In terms of FCing this monster, practice is probably you're best bet. I know it sounds silly, but this section is hard. It took me a space of 3 days to FC this song, with multiple hours just spent practicing this bridge. You can somewhat manipulate the octaves a bit, for example, you could sing the Gallieo part in the same pitch I believe, but it works to a point.
Also length is somewhat a factor in this song. You have 3 minutes of singing before the bridge, the bridge takes up about a minute, then the remainder 2 minutes of the song is plenty chokable. You need to keep focused once you FC the bridge, and play through it beforehand as well, so you dont FC the bridge and go into the last section of the song blind to what's coming next.

Henrietta 2:13
Henrietta is typical of all the Fratellis songs, with very fast vocals and areas where breathing control is important, but not on the same level as Flathead. There is a vocal run of gibberish humming which seems to harmonise with the guitar at parts. There are some very low notes, so a suggestion is to falsetto it if this is your issue. Pronunciation will also be an issue with this part. Being crisp with your consonants, especially in the "lep dep dep mmm" phrase will cost your combo, so if you can't be 100% precise, I'd hum it.

Good Vibrations (Live) (Hardest parts – 1:45 to 2:11, 2:37 to 2:55 and 3:12 to 3:26)

Good Vibrations is the other of the two hardest RB3 songs, and it’s mostly for the same reasons as Bohemian. Much like Bohemian, the pie fill in Vibrations is tight, so you have to be aleart constantly. The choruses are pretty low, so unless you can go that low or maniuplate the octaves to get the phrases to register, those will give you a hard time. And pretty quickly after that, strange high notes are thrown at you, with some tricky pitches, particularly in the second chorus.
And then, much like Bohemian, the bridge kicks in. Mashing multiple harmony parts, you have to content with the fairly monotone middle pitches, suddenly switching to the higher harmony parts. Particularly the ‘Ooh, what a sensation phrase’, which jumps from a super-high pitch to the lower one, meaning use of vibrato on the higher phrase is probably your best bet. Your only break comes from a short talky break, in which you must hope the talkies are working.
Post bridge, there’s some nasty ‘oohs’, which can be tricky to hit if you aren’t precisely on, especially with the slow pie fill and the fact the phrases are at their smallest. A quick re-run of the chorus, where you must hope you can hit the low note one more time, and after that some very strange, very chokable ‘doos’ and such can trip you up moments before the end of the song. Much like Bohemian, practice will be key to FCing this.

Mixed Exercise Songs (more than one of the above issues)
The Most Beautiful Girl (In The Room)
This song combines some iffy harmony charting, as it's meshing both Jemaine and Bret into one lead part. This will trip you up. It also has a HUGE range, with some very high notes ("My place is usually tidier than THIS" and the low descending "beautiful").
This odd charting between singers means there are some very small phrases, giving little room for error, and introducing a huge choke factor. And of course, the lyrics are ridiculous, so missing due to laughing (which I do a lot) is a big issue too.

Smash The Control Machine
This song is a mess, and includes pretty much everything on the checklist. There are 101 phrases in under 4 minutes, giving the breathing element. Some of the phrases in this song are 2 words long, meaning you will have to be on the ball at all times. There are several phrases which seem mischarted ("Grease the machines", "Love discriminates", "And the perfect nose", "Start a war, use the poor" and an odd pitch change for the 2nd and 3rd "exploitation is contagious" phrases in the outro.
The 2nd verse is easily the hardest, with lots of tiny phrases, pitches that should be talkies. Basically, most of this song is on the edge of being a rap, which is typical of Otep's music. Another interesting feature is that there is a huge different in the song mix, and the game mix. The "America" is the actual song is inaudible as it's pretty much whispered, so that's useful. This is a ridiculous song, so approach with caution.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?

Last edited by JOE2210 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:33 pm; edited 34 times in total
xemhanort  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Top 50 Hardest Vocal FCs (Now accepting suggestions) Reply with quote

DarthFizz wrote:

Sleepwalker
Foreplay/Long Time
Jesus Christ Pose
Hello Goodbye
Homecoming
I Wanna Be Your Man (Beatles)
I Want It All
I Want You Back
Tribute
Hell in a Bucket
The Jack (Live)
Down with the Sickness
Henrietta
Dreaming of Love
Space Truckin'
Oh! Darling
Psycho Killer
Bold as Love
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Love Man
Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine - Pt 1
Wait Until Tomorrow
Somebody To Love
Spoonman
I've Got A Feeling
Real Wild Child
Chop Suey
ABC
Doin' That Rag
Can't Let Go
Helter Skelter
Tangled Up in Blue
All Right Now
High Voltage (Live)
They're Red Hot
Abbey Road Medley

I've bolded the ones I personally feel have no place being on this list. I've never sung Homecoming, so someone else would also have to dispute that, since I've never envisioned it being that hard. Aside from maybe some other Queen songs (BoRap? I dunno, I'm just assuming Queen songs = difficult, since I barely play vox anymore), this is a pretty solid list, though. Someone else can offer opinions, though. I'm actually rather ignorant on what should be in this list.
GT: KillXemHeartily
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/xemhanort

First ever Lego Rock Band FGOMBFC!
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, making a hardest vocals FC list that everyone's going to agree with is going to be REALLY FUCKING HARD.

Now that we have that out of the way, here are some suggestions: Take Down With The Sickness out. That song belongs nowhere near this list. People can't agree with most things about vocals, but this they probably will. Second, where the fuck is Bohemian Rhapsody, Like A Fool, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, and Good Vibrations? And also, Tribute, Homecoming, and Chop Suey probably aren't as hard as most of the songs listed.

My top 5 out of the songs that I've played that are (So no Doin' That Rag, ABC, All Right Now)

5. Bohemian Rhapsody - Landslide and the No's are the only hard part, but they're bitches.
4. Dreaming Of Love - This is assuming RB3 engine, RB2 isn't that bad
3. Somebody To Love - Looks like a bunch of random bullshit to me.
2. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - Just, lots of quiet phrases hypercharted, overall really chokeable, last phrase is stupid.
1. Good Vibrations - Fuck that.
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no Beatles or Green Day songs that deserve to be considered in the top 50 hardest FCs. Aside from that, I really don't think vocals can have a definitive top XX list anyway since vocal difficulty varies way too much from person to person.

Also, there's a glaring lack of AC/DC and Burn (NIN) on your list. I consider Burn to be the hardest vocal FC period, not counting broken talkies in previous games of course.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will only agree with Burn since the chart is ridiculous.

I do find DWTS hard thank you very much

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it won't hurt just to try out this list. If too much flaming happens and wars break out, I will ask blingdomepiece to lock this thread. Simple as that. Who knows, it may become amazing or something.

Anyway, do I need to add any Otis Redding songs on here? Also, these FCs are counting by the RB3 engine (except for Beatles obviously), so OWOA and Next To You will most likely not be on this list. The same goes for previously broken talkies, like alive (live), inside out, RBN Megamix, etc.

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:
If only there were a like button for ScoreHero posts...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another non-vibrato song is Just Dance by Lady Gaga (Colby O'Donis/Gaga rap section, and following "Half psychotic, sick hypnotic" parts. That echo is very offputting)

I'd also say that either of the Ohio Players songs belong here (probably more likely Fire as it's less repetitive than Rollercoaster), songs with little room for vibrato such as Just Dance probably should be here too. Just Dance is a real bitch actually, as it has the rapping-ish bit, and the "half psychotic, sick hypnotic" bit, which has an echo about a quarter of a second after it while you're singing which makes it quite confusing.

Dame Aire and Nur Ein Wort are also very hard, although Dame Aire may just be from being Spanish and singing in the accent robs any vibrato you have. Nur ein Wort is very fast, with lots of quick pitch drops and very little space to breathe. Another one with a big range and not much space to breathe is Must Have Done Something Right by Reliant K. Not top half material but for 40-50, it's a contender.

I see you have YMB listed, and I think you should have Eminence Front too, because that's far harder in my opinion, due to the descending "It's a put on" phrases. Unless you have a huge range or know your octaves it's very hard. A similar case of this is Sanctified and The Only Time by Nine Inch Nails. Pretty much the whole Pretty Hate pack was a mess, and I only have a 99% on HLaH and Terrible Lie, 95% on The Only Time and 93% on Sanctified. I swear the whole pack could have been damn talkies. Sanctified is the real offender here though.

On the ones you have there now, Love Man, Spoonman, Psycho Killer, Down With The Sickness and Chop Suey shouldn't really be on the list in my opinion.
Love Man - Fast, but no real massive stumbling points anywhere. No odd phrases, and from what I remember, not much variation in pitch.
Spoonman - Just not that difficult. Not fast, no really short phrases.
Psycho Killer - I don't remember anything really hard in this, but the French phrases tripped me up a bit. The whole second half is very monotone i.e. "We are vain and we are blind/ I hate people when they're not polite"
DWTS and Chop Suey - Should never have been T7 in any universe.

Sleepwalker should be higher, because of the Colombian Necktie verse being extremely chokable. They're Red Hot should be much lower, given that the only problem is the outro, which only requires a minimum of practice. Yes the speed is an intimidatory factor, but it's just not harder than ABC, Burn or All Right Now.

I do like the idea of this, but you will have a LOT of people not happy a lot of the time. Vocals are VERY subjective, and completely dependent of a number of factors such as range, base octave even down to how much you like the song. For example, I find Burn, Jesus Christ Pose and Can't Let Go very easy as they all have notes which are on my lowest note of the octave, especially JCP and Burn. Yet, I find songs such as Du Hast and Rob The Prez-o-dent very hard as Du Hast has talkies that hate deeper singing voices and RTP-o-D has some subtle drops which put it just out of my comfort range.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?

Last edited by JOE2210 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE2210 wrote:
really long post
I believe he said no RBN songs which would count out Fat Kid, Smash The Control Machine, ect.
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
JOE2210 wrote:
really long post
I believe he said no RBN songs which would count out Fat Kid, Smash The Control Machine, ect.

I think he meant that he hasn't listed any, not saying they don't have a place. I'm assuming it's from a lack of experience with some charts or something.
STCM is available on all consoles anyway, so it's no difference.

Eastwinn wrote:

anonymous_25  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE2210 wrote:
Hobo111 wrote:
JOE2210 wrote:
really long post

I think he meant that he hasn't listed any, not saying they don't have a place. I'm assuming it's from a lack of experience with some charts or something.

Umm.. I said I don't have any RBN on the list because I could not think of any, so RBN would be greatly appreciated.

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:
If only there were a like button for ScoreHero posts...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well the RBN ones I deleted were Dark Lord by Fallen Angel, Curse of the Werewolf by Timeless Miracle and Fat Kid.

Eastwinn wrote:

Hobo111  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthFizz wrote:
JOE2210 wrote:
Hobo111 wrote:
JOE2210 wrote:
really long post

Umm.. I said I don't have any RBN on the list because I could not think of any, so RBN would be greatly appreciated.
Fat Kid, Smash The Control Machine, (probably top 10 material) Bled To Be Free, (probably top 20) Death By Cancer Original Octave. (Top 1)
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how you consider Just Dance difficult, Joe, and I know you're a good vocalist. I sightread FC'd it back when the pack came out and have never had any trouble with it. I might have chalked that up to just liking Lady GaGa and therefore knowing the song beforehand being an advantage, but I'm pretty sure you have that too, so it just surprises me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns of Summer should be top 25
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: