FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
So does no one play Harmonies or what?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shashakiro  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: So does no one play Harmonies or what? Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I got 5th place on Beast and the Harlot harmonies without even hitting all the double awesomes (hit all the verse ones, but not that many of the chorus ones and none of the chorus ones at the end), let alone thinking about the path or squeezing or anything. That seems REALLY high, on solo vocals if I don't look up a path and FC with squeezes, I'm not even top 100.

Is harmonies mode just not very competitive for some reason or what?

Total banners earned: 35. Above are links to accomp thread.
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not competitive at all, which is a shame.
It's mainly because there's very few people who have 2 expert level vocalists in the vicinity, let alone 3.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 other expert vocalists where I live. I have 2 mics and one of them has a third, but we have yet to actually sing 3 part harmonies, although I have sang 2 part and it is FUN AS HELL.

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:
If only there were a like button for ScoreHero posts...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
GanonMetroid  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live pretty close to Tobias911 and his wife, who is also a capable expert vocalist. We've done a few things as far as harmonies goes, but not a whole lot. I guess it's just that not a lot of people who are capable are even willing to go out of their way to do it.

Videos. Guitar Hero accomplishments. Rock Band accomplishments. GH customs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv Ganon PSN Name: PanOfMopsicle ICQ Number
HyadesD4  

Location: A long-ass fuckin' time ago in a town called Kickapoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE2210 wrote:
It's not competitive at all, which is a shame.
It's mainly because there's very few people who have 2 expert level vocalists in the vicinity, let alone 3.

This. Not only is it difficult just to find 2-3 people who play vocals at all, it's hard to find people willing to learn new parts. Some songs practically require learning a whole new part. And sometimes those parts are hard to hear, so you have to be really top notch. There's not a lot of room to BS (although MasterNobody has repeatedly proved me wrong on this), especially on some of the more complex RB3 and Beatles songs. It also requires a lot of organization to manage who gets what part. MN and I have 2 separate lists to keep track of everything.

As for why you got such an unexpectedly high ranking: it's probably just because you used a good path and got 100%. The path is AI, which is simple enough to figure out. It's worth pointing out that the optimal solo path is almost always the same as the optimal harmony path, which is why you see people who got 1 or 2 double harmonies with high rankings.

MasterNobody wrote:
And somebody make D4 a banner! ^^^ He's an awesome guy and doesn't afraid of anything.
CaptCalamity  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be much more competitive if we had the ability to do harmonies online. I always heard the bandwidth excuse as a reason, but if we just had the ability to do it even without other instruments, that would still be better than it currently is imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: CaptCalamity
TalonHawk  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely competition, there are just not nearly as many people competing as in solo vocals for the reasons people have already said.

Think of it this way, if every vocalist paired with 2 others, you'd still only have 1/3rd the number of scores, and obviously that isn't happening, so you end up with a much smaller fraction.

Pathing harmonies can be much harder as well if you're trying to squeeze out every bit of score. I won't go into why, but trust me on it ;-)
TimEbaysball  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play harmonies for every song. I just sing all the parts myself on separate runs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyadesD4 wrote:
There's not a lot of room to BS (although MasterNobody has repeatedly proved me wrong on this)

I don't know what you're talking about, guessing at red/yellow lines based only on their juxtaposition to the blue lines is EASY!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harms are amazingly fun and I'm still surprised more people haven't tried 'em, even just with 1 singer holding 1-3 mics. Beez and I pathed and ran a handful of on-disc songs together a while back, but nothing lately.

If you're going for score, the solo path is a decent place to start, but the harms chart is worth a look for better places to ES, especially with a good vibratist. You can alter your path based on the number of singers on your team, and there's also harmony part priority scoring (including intentionally missed parts) to consider.

Ending with a few fun facts... the on-disc career score is far from maxed. Based on shared SH paths and x-plat leaderboard data:

- 7 songs aren't maxed yet and probably several more
- 10,000+ points are unclaimed from just those 7 songs combined
- 13.2 mil is a conservative career max

Looks like we've all got a bit o' work to do!
Billtvshow  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends and I did that Killing Loneliness harmonies video awhile back and we also legit FC'ed a few other songs over time, including Misery Business. As good as the two of them are at solo mode, it's very hard for them to do harmony parts when we are all singing together side by side because trying to separate the voices in your head is not the easiest thing to do if you're not used to it. Which is why legit FC's are much harder than individual line runs / recordings. And that factor is one reason I haven't made much of a push to pursue it competitively, because there's a number of people out there (see Youtube) that must have missed the memo that it's a dick move to try to get first place using your recorded voice runs (Not you Tim, but the people playing their recordings back into other mics during a single run). That's way, way, way easier than doing it with three people who all have to get it right all on the same run while hearing the other parts at point blank range. They may not have other people to play with nearby, but that's still no excuse to do it, despite that circumstance. The way MrsJadePhoenix does her harmonies recordings is technically the way it should be done for video purposes. HMX could take care of this by making it possible to do the harmonies online. I stand by my reasoning that if they could do vocal score duels the way they did them in RB1 and RB2, online harmonies could have been made to work. Also, the bonuses for harmonies (since it's more or less considered to be the "Pro" mode for vocals) are absolutely absurd; they should be much higher, comparable to the percentage increases made by playing a song on Pro Drums vs. regular drums. That would definitely make them a much more vital element in full band competition.
/end harmonies rant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played through on-disc solo harmonies by myself. Only plausible FC with one mic is I Need To Know, which surprisingly very few people have a high score on that song
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billtvshow wrote:
My friends and I did that Killing Loneliness harmonies video awhile back and we also legit FC'ed a few other songs over time, including Misery Business. As good as the two of them are at solo mode, it's very hard for them to do harmony parts when we are all singing together side by side because trying to separate the voices in your head is not the easiest thing to do if you're not used to it. Which is why legit FC's are much harder than individual line runs / recordings. And that factor is one reason I haven't made much of a push to pursue it competitively, because there's a number of people out there (see Youtube) that must have missed the memo that it's a dick move to try to get first place using your recorded voice runs (Not you Tim, but the people playing their recordings back into other mics during a single run). That's way, way, way easier than doing it with three people who all have to get it right all on the same run while hearing the other parts at point blank range. They may not have other people to play with nearby, but that's still no excuse to do it, despite that circumstance. The way MrsJadePhoenix does her harmonies recordings is technically the way it should be done for video purposes. HMX could take care of this by making it possible to do the harmonies online. I stand by my reasoning that if they could do vocal score duels the way they did them in RB1 and RB2, online harmonies could have been made to work. Also, the bonuses for harmonies (since it's more or less considered to be the "Pro" mode for vocals) are absolutely absurd; they should be much higher, comparable to the percentage increases made by playing a song on Pro Drums vs. regular drums. That would definitely make them a much more vital element in full band competition.
/end harmonies rant

Totally agree with most of this post, aside from the score duel comparison.

In RB1/RB2 vocal score duel, your overdrive only applies to your local score, and doesn't affect anyone else, so all you're transmitting is score data.

In multiplayer co-op with other instruments and/or harmonies, the exact timing of the overdrive activation comes under scrutiny. I think the problem that Harmonix faced when trying to implement that was "how do we know exactly when someone in London activated overdrive so that we know when to apply score (retroactively if necessary) to other parts for the people in Los Angeles and Sydney?" Bear in mind that it's entirely possible - even likely - that people don't have synchronized clocks, especially not down to milliseconds.

Given that vocal overdrive scoring in Rock Band is tick-based, the exact timing is extremely important. If Rock Band 4 comes out and Harmonix instead adopts a GH5/WoR-like system of all-or-nothing overdrive bonus per phrase, or some other configuration which isn't so dependent on constant monitoring of ticks, that would greatly simplify matters.
HyadesD4  

Location: A long-ass fuckin' time ago in a town called Kickapoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

Given that vocal overdrive scoring in Rock Band is tick-based, the exact timing is extremely important. If Rock Band 4 comes out and Harmonix instead adopts a GH5/WoR-like system of all-or-nothing overdrive bonus per phrase, or some other configuration which isn't so dependent on constant monitoring of ticks, that would greatly simplify matters.

Oh god, that would make this game completely non-competitive...

Bill: You're right, getting all Double or Triple Harmonies in a song is tough. Some of the 3 part songs on RB3 get so complicated, it's hard to even see what's going on (see Midlife Crisis, Get Up Stand Up outros). I think that a Bohemian Rhapsody Full Harmonies FC with 3 people would be near the difficulty of a Next to You RB1 FC.

MasterNobody wrote:
And somebody make D4 a banner! ^^^ He's an awesome guy and doesn't afraid of anything.
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree with the comparison. Figuring out a trick with timing to make a talky work in rockband 1 does not compare to the talent of singing a harmony. With a little bit of practice, I could hit any harmony out there in rockband 3, but will never be able to make that stupid talky work in rockband 1. It would be like comparing that horrible screeching noise to get cherry bomb to work in rockband 2 is comparable to triple fcing bohemian rhapsody in harmonies.

I still don't understand why online harmonies can't work. We have bonuses for band play, yes? Doesn't that require split second timing to get the scoring right? If the 8x multiplier is different for each player due to lag, then why don't we all have different scores? Why in the world can't vocals be looked at in the same way? I'm not the programming genius, but I would think that harmonies could be implemented in the same way as playing different instruments.

Back to the op, there are two problems I have with harmonies. First is that only my son likes to sing so harmonies are shared with him when I sing. I don't have expert singers out there to play with to make it competitive. Also, I hate the "voice snapping" the game does. If I'm trying to find a pitch, sometimes it will snap to a lower octave, then go to the higher one the next phrase even though I'm singing the same note. I've missed too many phrases that way in harmonies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: