FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wii > PS3 Guitar (Success) and Keyboard (Fail)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jas2o  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Wii > PS3 Guitar (Success) and Keyboard (Fail) Reply with quote

I've just gotten my Wii RB1 guitar controller completely working on my PS3 and now I need my keyboard converted.

Uses at minimum an Arduino UNO with PS3 gamepad firmware.
I tried 3 different ways of sending the USB HID data from a Wii adapter:

1: C Linux program transposes USB HID data into MIDI messages and sends that to the Arduino with a MIDI shield.
2: C# Windows program sends the USB HID data to the Arduino UNO with a USB to Serial convertor.
3: Wii adapter is plugged into a USB host shield attached to the Arduino.

LUFA gamepad firmware based off this, this, and this.
Sketch based off one with the LUFA firmware and a PS3 controller USB host shield example.

I have one problem, while I have the HID descriptor from my Wii RB3 keyboard and all the base code to send all the keyboard data, I do not have the Vendor and Product IDs from a PS3 keyboard. Anyone with one willing to help me can type 'lsusb' in Linux or use the Device Manager in Windows to find these values.

Update: Thanks for your help, but the PS3 just crashes. I may look into this later. I'm using a MIDI Pro-Adapter for now.
BTW, if you bridge S1 on a Wii keyboard's USB adapter it becomes a PS3 keyboard adapter, BUT the Wii keyboard will not connect to it. I could not find anything similar on the keyboard.

Last edited by jas2o on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:58 am; edited 5 times in total
JosJuice  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to connect my keyboard dongle to my PC, so I did this instead

Vendor ID: 040B
Product ID: 410A
View user's profile Send private message PSN Name: JosJuice Wii Friend Code: 5959909536341960
jas2o  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting the Vendor to be 12BA (Sony), but I tried it anyway and I wasn't surprised to see it appear in RB3 as a standard/vocal controller.

I then checked my Wii Keyboard adapter's "Generic USB Hub" item in the Windows Device Manager and found this: USB\VID_040B&PID_410A&REV_0200

So you need to find the actual controller device... Would you please try again?

If you use Windows:
-Vista/7: Start -> 'Device Manager'
-XP: Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware tab-> Device Manager
-It'll be under Human Interface Devices, the keyboard should be something like a HID-compliant game controller
-Double-click the item, go to the Details tab, look in 'Hardware Ids'.

If you use Linux, type 'lsusb' in a terminal.
JosJuice  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried doing it in Windows this time. Here's the data:

HID\Vid_12ba&Pid_2330&Rev_0005
HID\Vid_12ba&Pid_2330
HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_GAME
HID_DEVICE_UP:0001_U:0005
HID_DEVICE

I'm not sure if I got it right, so please tell me if it doesn't work.
View user's profile Send private message PSN Name: JosJuice Wii Friend Code: 5959909536341960
jas2o  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks better, thanks so much.

I must have failed last night's 3 AM quick Arduino firmware/sketch mods because no keys player is appearing and it's not triggering the vocal controller. That's something I noticed it does when the guitar VID/PID was right but something in the firmware was broken, making RB3 'lock out' the device.

Edit 1: When I put the Wii VID/PID in it works sort of fine on the Wii (needs to be plugged in twice). The PS3 just keeps crashing. I'll have to keep messing with it.

Edit 2: The RB3 PS3 must be expecting something guitars and drums don't normally do like a report, something I can't be bothered figuring out. I'll just buy a MIDI Pro-Adapter if I can get one into Australia.
kim666  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wii > PS3 Guitar (Success) and Keyboard (Fail) Reply with quote

jas2o wrote:
BTW, if you bridge S1 on a Wii keyboard's USB adapter it becomes a PS3 keyboard adapter, BUT the Wii keyboard will not connect to it. I could not find anything similar on the keyboard.

Great finding! Did you also take a look at the Midi Pro Adapter hardware? It would be nice to get a Wii Midi Pro Adapter on a Ps3 working or vice versa.
jas2o  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone ever does find out how to make the Wii keyboard connect to a "PS3" adapter, I would very much like to know.
I looked on my PS3 Mustang adapter and it has S1 joined.

If someone figures out what message you need to send to a Mustang to receive fret/string data, that would be interesting to know.
I plugged my PS3 mustang into my Wii with RB3 modded to accept any unknown controller as a pro-guitar and it wasn't able to sense frets or strings (it skips a few tests when I make it do this, that could be why).
Unless Wii adapters send this data without being told to? I thought I noticed my PS3 MIDI Pro-Adapter in keyboard mode didn't send the same HID messages as my Wii Keyboard adapter. Maybe I'm crazy.

I read on the Rock Band Forums (post #82) that the 3 MIDI Pro-adapters have different arrangements of 2 jumpers (unscrew the back cover and you should see it at the bottom). 360 has both, PS3 has one (so you can make it Xbox by bridging the other - which I have done but not tested on a console), and the Wii is unknown (either the other one, or none).
infnorm  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Making MIDI Pro Adaptor Console Switchable Reply with quote

Based on that post I was able to modify my Wii MIDI Pro Adaptor to be switchable by adding a bank of DIP switches. I've had success using it with a PS3 and Wii, but the XBox I tried it with does not recognize it, so it is partially useful! See my post over at
http://docsrockbandmods.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4707
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: