FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I admit it! I fail at pathing. HELP ME!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: I admit it! I fail at pathing. HELP ME! Reply with quote

I don't have a clue how to successfully path my overdrives. I don't understand the shorthand people use to illustrate their optimal paths either.

I've watched youtube vids and emulated paths other people use to increase their scores and that works so far, but I still don't understand what I am supposed to.

I don't even know if chords score more points than single notes.

I had assumed that they do and was pathing accordingly but based on paths of copied from videos I'm not sure about that anymore.

OD pathing obviously is HUGE. I've increased scores on songs that I've FC'd by as much as 30% just by copying someone else's OD path.

However I cannot find any online reference material that really explains how the points work for PRO keys or how to decipher the codes people use to write out OD paths in threads.

Help this NOOB!
megallica  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, chords are worth more than single notes

you get the same number of points for each key in a chord that you would for a single note, so a 4 note chord is worth 4 times as many points as a single note

you also get points for hitting some of the notes in a chord, even if you miss others, but it will break your streak and bring your multiplier back to 0 if you miss some of them

i haven't taken pathing very seriously on keys, but i used to make my own paths for guitar, bass and vocals for RB2

if you're following the path of a video, you probably won't exceed the score that the person got in that video, so it'll only be helpful if that person got a good score in that video, relative to what the top score is

you should try to activate in areas with alot of notes, either because the section is really fast, or has alot of chords, or both

it's important to note that your multiplier is really important, and you want to activate during parts that you have a 4x multiplier on, so if you can't hit parts that have alot of notes, it might be better to activate in places that you can hit

one of the biggest factors in top scores on Pro Keys is going to be how much additional overdrive you get out of whammying sustained notes (which i haven't put much effort into so far)

the extra overdrive you can get from doing that can add up to thousands of points on alot of songs, depending on how many overdrive phrases have sustained notes

so far, this is the only site i've seen that gives paths for pro keys charts

http://site.tmullin.net:81/ipather/

unfortunately, i haven't tried to use it yet, so i can't really help you interpret the notation it uses, but maybe someone else can

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind making some Pro Keys paths, I enjoy the problem-solving aspect of pathing. The Pro charts on darylzero's site are a little strange to read / interpret though, since it just shows the color and doesn't have any indication for what note that is.

Quick and dirty, here's a path for Light My Fire. Each line of the path is one OD activation; the number is how many OD phrases you pick up before activating, the number in parentheses is how many more ODs you chain into, and then there's a description of which note to activate on. Ideally you should activate just before the described note. If you see something like m26 or m38, that's giving a measure number. Those are the red numbers at the top of the chart.

http://site.tmullin.net:81/ipather/charts/xprokeys/lightmyfire_xprokeys_blank.png

2 (0) - first 4-note chord in m26

1 (0) - beginning of organ solo section (m38)

3(+1) - first chord after sustains in m66

1 (0) - 4-note chord in m83 (2nd m of section organ solo C)

2(+1) - first note after solo section ends (3-note chord)

2 (0) - NN (next note, so activate just about immediately, this is m127)

2 (0) - start of m147, 3-note chord

2(+1) - m170 chords

1 (0) - 4-note chord at end of m183

2(+1) - start of m200

^ if you miss chaining that +1, it's a unison so you can do a last activation immediately after picking it up.

And there's a path! Very long song, maybe not the best place to start haha. I can do more of these though if you have any particular requests, and if I take some more time I can figure out an estimate for an FC score with proper activations. Also, no promises that this path is optimal, since I wasn't really checking everything. Some of the activations will get tweaked if I go back to this.
Voltgloss  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to give a little more explanation of Overlord path "terminology," using bclare's example:

bclare wrote:

2(+1) - m170 chords
2(+1) - start of m200

"2 (0)" means that you're activating at some point after hitting 2 OD phrases, and while OD is running, you will hit zero additional OD phrases.

"3 (+1)" means that you're activating at some point after hitting 3 OD phrases, and while OD is running, you will also hit one additional OD phrase.

Whether an OD phrase is a solo phrase (giving 1/4 OD bar, which generally equals 2 measures) or a unison phrase (giving 1/2 OD bar, which generally equals 4 measures), it's still counted as "one phrase" when reading path instructions. Hence why you can see a "1 (0)" indicator - you're activating after hitting only one phrase, and that's possible because it happens to be a unison phrase.

And with respect to whammying:

- The amount of OD you get for whammying a sustain in an OD phrase is, in most cases, exactly equal to the time spent whammying. In other words, if there's a sustain that lasts 2 beats, and you whammy it for the entire 2 beats, you'll usually get an extra 2 beats of OD. The corollary is that if you're whammying OD while under the effect of OD, it effectively "stops the clock" because the OD you're gaining is exactly equal to the OD you're losing as time passes. (This isn't ALWAYS the case, fyi, but it is more often than not.)

- The best way I've found to actually USE the whammy strip on the keyboard peripheral is to tap it quickly and repeatedly with the second and third fingers of your left hand (like you're playing a trill). Don't rub it or slide it - whenever I tried to do that I never got full whammy. But the tap method works like a charm.

I have some paths kicking around for simpler songs if you'd like to see some more examples. Alternatively, if there's a particular song you're interested in, let me know and when I have the chance I'll post - not only the path - but also my analysis of the chart that led to creation of said path.

RB3 Expert Pro Keys FCs: 58/63 + 214 DLC. My accomplishments thread.
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltgloss wrote:
Also, to give a little more explanation of Overlord path "terminology," using bclare's example:

bclare wrote:

2(+1) - m170 chords
2(+1) - start of m200

"2 (0)" means that you're activating at some point after hitting 2 OD phrases, and while OD is running, you will hit zero additional OD phrases.

"3 (+1)" means that you're activating at some point after hitting 3 OD phrases, and while OD is running, you will also hit one additional OD phrase.

Whether an OD phrase is a solo phrase (giving 1/4 OD bar, which generally equals 2 measures) or a unison phrase (giving 1/2 OD bar, which generally equals 4 measures), it's still counted as "one phrase" when reading path instructions. Hence why you can see a "1 (0)" indicator - you're activating after hitting only one phrase, and that's possible because it happens to be a unison phrase.

And with respect to whammying:

- The amount of OD you get for whammying a sustain in an OD phrase is, in most cases, exactly equal to the time spent whammying. In other words, if there's a sustain that lasts 2 beats, and you whammy it for the entire 2 beats, you'll usually get an extra 2 beats of OD. The corollary is that if you're whammying OD while under the effect of OD, it effectively "stops the clock" because the OD you're gaining is exactly equal to the OD you're losing as time passes. (This isn't ALWAYS the case, fyi, but it is more often than not.)

- The best way I've found to actually USE the whammy strip on the keyboard peripheral is to tap it quickly and repeatedly with the second and third fingers of your left hand (like you're playing a trill). Don't rub it or slide it - whenever I tried to do that I never got full whammy. But the tap method works like a charm.

I have some paths kicking around for simpler songs if you'd like to see some more examples. Alternatively, if there's a particular song you're interested in, let me know and when I have the chance I'll post - not only the path - but also my analysis of the chart that led to creation of said path.

All the posts so far have been very helpful and I will try to absorb this information and use it.

I've known about the "whammy" thing from the beginning though. "I'm still calling it "pitch bend" because that's what it is)

I also discovered that tapping produces better results than sliding. My methodology is a bit different than yours though. rest four fingers on the strip (my thumb is usually underneath the "neck" adding support) and drum them from left to right as fast as I can. I will "trill" them too as you suggest but I use my 4th and 2nd finger to do this as I can trill this pair more rapidly than any other combination (save 1st and 4th but I'm not gong to bring my thumb into play for this).
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyp1e wrote:

I've known about the "whammy" thing from the beginning though. "I'm still calling it "pitch bend" because that's what it is)

*twitch*
(
"

There we go.
Voltgloss  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other tips:

- The base score for hitting a Pro Keys note is 60 points. Obviously, at max 8x multiplier (4x plus OD) that becomes 480 points per note.

- Increase to score from holding sustains is a function of how long the sustain is. In most cases (actually, in all that I've checked so far), this works out to: 1 note held for 1 beat = 15 extra points, before taking multipliers into account. Yes, score multiplier (including OD) does increase the points gained from holding sustains, as well as hitting notes.

- As mentioned, you get points for EACH note in a chord. You also get points separately for each SUSTAINED note in a chord.

- So, as an example, if you're playing a 3-note chord that is held for 2 beats, and do so under 4x multipler:

--- You get 3 * 60 * 4 = 720 points for hitting the chord; and
--- You get 3 * 15 * 2 * 4 = 360 points from holding it for those two beats.

For a total of 1080 points. Do this under OD, and you'll get 2160 points instead.

twistedoak  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltgloss wrote:
The best way I've found to actually USE the whammy strip on the keyboard peripheral is to tap it quickly and repeatedly with the second and third fingers of your left hand (like you're playing a trill). Don't rub it or slide it - whenever I tried to do that I never got full whammy. But the tap method works like a charm.

That's interesting: I will have to try that.

Have you noticed about whammying during a chord? I've noticed that whammying doesn't always work if the whammying starts in the middle of a sustain, unless you release the previous sustain (non overdrive note). Have you found this true as well?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twistedoak wrote:
Have you noticed about whammying during a chord? I've noticed that whammying doesn't always work if the whammying starts in the middle of a sustain, unless you release the previous sustain (non overdrive note). Have you found this true as well?

Yes, I have! And it's frustrated me to no end when it comes up (Hold On Loosely is a good example). Usually the right answer score-wise is to release the previous sustain so you can get whammying to work and nab that extra OD... but not always! Definitely a pathing complication.

Deschain  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://therocktimizer.com/howto.html
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deschain wrote:
http://therocktimizer.com/howto.html

Yeah that's a good explanation too.

Also, for the Touch Me path that I did, again it's not optimal, I was assuming somewhat lazy activations and somewhat lazy whammy. If someone wants, I'd be more than willing to go over it more thoroughly and also get a score estimate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: