FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
drums newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GomelHero  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: drums newbie questions Reply with quote

Hello there.

I've started to study drums from rock Band 3 training, and I have couple of questions about proper technique.

1. Intermediate Beats - Mixed Hands Training (last training). I've used my strong hand for Y notes and both hands for Y R notes, when i switch to use my strong hand for R note and use both hands on R Y. Is it right? Or in this training should I always hit snare with my weak hand?

2. Hard Techniques - Polyrhythm 3 on 2. Description say: "Strong hand plays 3, weak hands plays 2". I finished this training using both hand on first note, and when using (Strong, Weak, Strong) on 2nd, 3rd notes. As I understand I was wrong. Should I play this training using Weak on 2nd note (Blue) and Strong hand on both 3d notes (Yellow, Blue)?

3 Hard Techniques - 8th Note Double Strokes. Description say: "Use one hand per lane" What does that mean? I should always play blue notes with my strong hand and yellow notes with weak hand? I've tried it but it's hard. I easily passed this training using Strong, Weak on blue notes and when Strong, Weak on yellow notes with bass kick always on strong hand.

4 Advanced Techniques - Polyrhythm 4 on 3. Description say: "Your strong hand plays 4, weak hands plays 3" Same question as #2.
Should I play both 2nd notes with my strong hand when 3d note with my weak hand and when both 4th notes with my strong hand?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: drums newbie questions Reply with quote

GomelHero wrote:
Hello there.

I've started to study drums from rock Band 3 training, and I have couple of questions about proper technique.

1. Intermediate Beats - Mixed Hands Training (last training). I've used my strong hand for Y notes and both hands for Y R notes, when i switch to use my strong hand for R note and use both hands on R Y. Is it right? Or in this training should I always hit snare with my weak hand?

2. Hard Techniques - Polyrhythm 3 on 2. Description say: "Strong hand plays 3, weak hands plays 2". I finished this training using both hand on first note, and when using (Strong, Weak, Strong) on 2nd, 3rd notes. As I understand I was wrong. Should I play this training using Weak on 2nd note (Blue) and Strong hand on both 3d notes (Yellow, Blue)?

3 Hard Techniques - 8th Note Double Strokes. Description say: "Use one hand per lane" What does that mean? I should always play blue notes with my strong hand and yellow notes with weak hand? I've tried it but it's hard. I easily passed this training using Strong, Weak on blue notes and when Strong, Weak on yellow notes with bass kick always on strong hand.

4 Advanced Techniques - Polyrhythm 4 on 3. Description say: "Your strong hand plays 4, weak hands plays 3" Same question as #2.
Should I play both 2nd notes with my strong hand when 3d note with my weak hand and when both 4th notes with my strong hand?

Thanks in advance.

Firstly: You should almost always play the snare (red) with your non-dominant hand.

2: It meant three notes, not "the second and third note." Your main hand hit three times in the pattern, your weak hand hit twice. You did it right.

3: Yeah, that's what it means. RRLLRRLLRRLL. It's not very fast, at least.

4: Yellows with one hand, blues with another.
GomelHero  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr, thanks for the fast response. You Rock!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: drums newbie questions Reply with quote

GomelHero wrote:
Hello there.

Thanks in advance.

1. If you are talking about patterns like the one below, you should always hit the reds with your weak hand.
or

2. MehPlusRawr gave a good explanation.

3. You should play it as its meant to be played (right hand plays all blue notes, left hand plays all yellow notes). You should practice double stroking a lot, it's a really important technique specially if you want to play fast rolls. And if you get used to single strokes only, you will have a hard time later.

4. MehPlusRawr gave a good explanation.

The Rock Band Master FC Breakdown Project: RB1 RB2
My Youtube Account: Click Here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: