FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Aftermarket mic is much better.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket mic is much better. Reply with quote

I was having issues with my RB mic for a while. It was laggy, unresponsive, and lately was causing the arrow to bounce all over the place. When I played online, people could barely hear me. When I tried to record Vocals, the mic at full volume was minimally louder than the Vocal Track at 0.

So, I was in GameStop today and saw the Logitech Vantage mic. It was $30, but I just sold some stuff and since I spend so much time on Vocals, I figured what the heck; I could always return it.

Umm, this mic is amazing. There is ZERO lag, the Vocals are loud, crisp, and right on. It's also lighter, so trying to mount it in a makeshift stand is easier. It's white, instead of black and a little smaller in size, but man is this thing a Vocalist's dream. I tried it on one song and broke the Blitzkrieg Bop high score without trying very hard. I give this the Nickisimo Seal of Approval.
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with mine. Was yours just that bad out of the box?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
rabies  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lag is the number one thing I completely hate about rock band vocals...so you are saying this new mic completely eliminates that? Does this mean if I get this mike, I won't have to start singing every phrase a half second earlier?

Would you be willing to post a video..or some short clips of this new mic in action? I'm really excited about a mic that introduces zero lag into the vocals of this game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also intrigued.

Using the Rock Band mic, my voice comes through the television about .25 - .5 seconds after I have already sang something. You can really tell if I sing and then hit the pause button immediately.

Does this microphone eliminate that?
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I went a bit overboard with the ZERO lag...but I would say it's much better than the RB mic. My RB mic out of the box was always laggy but it was working great up until a few days ago when it just started getting muffled, massive sensitivity problems, etc.

I've got a ton of band videos to put up, but I'll try and make a vid with the Logitech mic just as a demo.

Last edited by Nickisimo on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: H2O Nickisimo
DemonHybrid  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting =) I will look around for it, thanks for the heads up.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DemonHybrid23
Rocker74  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a high quality mic from my old band days. I thought about trying to look for an xlr to usb cable, but the only one I found is this . I really don't want to drop $40 on a cable, but I am still curious if it would work.
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's an unmuted run with the new mic:
Interstate Love Song FC

Sorry, if the Vocals are fugly.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
Interstate Love Song FC

Good job with the FC. Mic seems to work pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
Interstate Love Song FC

Nice job, thanks for the video. Nothing to be ashamed of in that.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: McPryon PSN Name: McPryon
rabies  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea...it does appear the lag is substantially improved.

One other question nick..on the video (Nice run btw), do you have 5.1 surround sound turned on or off?

I noticed you are still starting phrases early...even though it does not seem like you really have to anymore...but that may be you have just become used to having to do it that way to play expert vocals with the old mic..

Rocker74: I'm in the same boat as you..having numerous microphones laying around...I'll do some reserach into a cable as well..but would also hate to drop 40$ on a cable and not have it work...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I have 5.1 turned off, but the TV I'm running it on has no sound system set up on it.

Yeah, I still try and sing early to line things up as a habit. I don't always know exactly what pitch I need to be at before it starts.
evilgoat  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice FC. I need to download this song.
You're pitch is spot on. I want a vocal match

XBL ragnartheawful PSN Ragnar_the_Awful
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: ragnartheawful PSN Name: Ragnar_the_Awful
Serges  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads-up to those of you with concerns about an XLR-to-USB mic cable...

I'm going out to buy one in the next day or 2 to be able to use my wireless mics for RB, as well as to jury-rig an audio setup that completely eliminates any potential for lag.

Details here: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3532

If it works, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

P.S. I wasn't able to find the cable for under $40 either, but since I host Rock Band shows in public, I'm kind of forced to drop the cash on something that might resolve the lag issue once and for all.

The only downside to hosting Rock Band competitions is not being able to enter them...
Ghazken  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, nice run man.

Secondly, okay, I'm sold, I'll have to give that mic a shot myself. I noticed that mine is starting to give me problems registering tamboreen hits, so it's a good excuse to get a new one. :
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: