FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
if u are a vocals, see this, please
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tidus  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrwoods wrote:
Wait, vibrato helps with scores?

<- is lost

Since TB:RB, vibrato makes the pie spin faster. This video is an example of it, although the effect of vibrato on RB3 is tuned down in comparison to TB:RB. Not only it helps on turning Strong's (Great's) into Awesome's (Fab's), but it helps with squeezing.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
SakuraSylph  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandaddy wrote:
Judging by the posts in here, it looks like a lot of the RB1 and RB2 top vox players have given RB3 much less effort, or maybe just don't get into vox as much?

Yes. There is a reasonably-sized consensus that RB3 is not inspiring for competitive vocals like RB2 was. The former top singers have responded to this in various ways.

Some have become lurkers in the forums when they used to post a lot. I've responded by continuing to play RB2 and spending very little time on RB3 at all. Others have responded by playing RB3 only but not for score. Only a handful have continued playing for score on RB3's new engine.

In a way that's good, since it opens the door for new blood for whom RB3 is satisfying to have their time in the spotlight.

Personally I'm looking forward to RB4. Harmonix has a cycle of innovate then perfect. RB1 was innovation but had problems, RB2 was perfecting it. RB3 brought new goodies to the table but has problems.. Will RB4 perfect the genre?
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandaddy wrote:
But what's the difference between using vibrato in songs where the singer clearly does not sing in vibrato, versus mumbling, slurring, or humming?
It's a technique to appease the vocals engine, either way.

There's not much difference. This is just another case of game mechanics warping the concept behind what you really "ought" to be doing, which is singing (not humming, not mumbling, not shaking random body parts, not wrapping bags around your microphones, etc.). I don't begrudge people their accomplishments if they do want to go out of their way to squeeze an extra few hundred points out of a phrase using (insert method here), but for me it just seems like a never-ending and pointless task.

Quote:
I just sing the words best I can, let the background music from the speakers ruin my scores, and have fun now. There's just too many tweaks and specialties for top scores (pause activation, button activation, vibrato, mid phrase activations, etc), and has taken singing for score meaningless to me.

Generally speaking I'll take a stab at a decent path, get 100% on songs that I care to learn, and move on. It's not worth my time to chase the leaderboards. There's too many songs, too many lyrics to learn, and not enough hours in the day to do anything else.

Quote:
Judging by the posts in here, it looks like a lot of the RB1 and RB2 top vox players have given RB3 much less effort, or maybe just don't get into vox as much?

I think I enjoy RB3 a little less than RB2. Not because of the scoring mechanics, per se. Just that it has become an impossible task to stay on top of scores for all released songs, so what used to be a manageable 3-6 songs per week has become a neverending flood of content, and wiping the slate clean in RB3 meant that all of us started with over a thousand songs to "catch up" on score-wise. Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't say that the online mode for RB3 most definitely sucks worse than RB2's.

I took one look at the numbers, shrugged and now just play the songs I enjoy and leave the rest for people to pick at parties.
DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason I like RB3 more than RB2 is the ability to practice parts of the songs separately. There are a few times where I kick in the vibrato, but I don't completely rely on it to FC a song unless it were an extremely hard phrase.

I have to admit though, FC'ing a song on RB3 can take much less effort and time than RB2 because of the same reasons bandaddy said. This engine is clearly for more casual, less skilled players. I have seen about 5 players (including myself) who previously used to almost never sing, but now are singing a lot because of this engine.

I'm like IceMage though. I just FC the song and move on to the next one. I don't have time to learn the lyrics and squeeze the hell out of the song when I can just use that time to FC another one of my 1000 songs. It's not like I don't enjoy singing the songs though. Just my attitude/opinion of a non-competitive vocalist. ^^

And I generally do that with any instrument, not just vocals.

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:
If only there were a like button for ScoreHero posts...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: