FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
3/29 DLC: Days Of Peace Pack and 2 Dragonforce singles!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GackTMN wrote:
I don't think it's much to be concerned about when it comes to multiple tracks in one long song, since there's the Abbey Road Medley on the Beatles game, and there's two Green Day songs that are two songs in one..

The Beatles and Green Day as full games and full Album DLC packs are completely different creatures from Black Magic Woman as an individual DLC song.

It seems likely that they COULD have given us the full song with Gypsy Queen, but that it would have cost more than the traditional $2.00. I'm guessing they thought releasing the main song for the regular price was a better option.

As far as the GH3 version of the song, it was a cover version as opposed to the master recording used in Rock Band. Presumably, using a cover version was cheaper than the master recording. Also, when licensing songs for a full game, there is probably less concern for the cost of each song as individuals since they aren't being sold that way.

While I agree that it would have been better to have the "full song," I don't think that Harmonix made a definitive mistake in only releasing the main song. They made a choice. If they went the other way and gave us the full thing and charged $3.00 - $4.00 for it, they would have gotten a completely different set of complaints (some from the same people who are complaining now).
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vuljatar wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:
Blame it on the label, not Harmonix. You can't expect them to buy two songs and only sell one.

I blame both. And in this case, I would expect them to buy two songs and only sell one, if that's what it took.

Seriously, I'm not trying to hate on Harmonix (I love 'em to death), but only making the first half of the song available is an incredibly poor choice from any perspective. They are going to miss out on a lot of sales. Beyond the musical integrity and listening quality considerations, there is of course the fact that the missing part of the song is the part that would unquestionably be the most fun on almost all instruments. I, for one, was really looking forward to the drums at the end.

Let me put it this way: If the first half of Free Bird and the guitar solo from Free Bird were considered two separate tracks for licensing purposes, would you expect Harmonix to license the first one but not the second?

I would in no circumstances expect Harmonix to do anything as stupid as paying for two songs and only selling one of them. They're not a charity and there's no way they'd ever make money on that kind of deal. The only way I see fault on their part is going the other way, that they shouldn't have licensed the song at all if they couldn't get both parts.
Vigarde  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question:

What exactly are the circumstances with this DLC in Europe on the Wii, because a friend of mine that lives in Germany can get them, and I can't...?

EDIT: YESH THEY'RE HERE

[22:59:02] Vigarde: ARE U BRAINDEAD?
[22:59:03] Tyler (W0Wzer333): yes

Last edited by Vigarde on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vuljatar  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:
I would in no circumstances expect Harmonix to do anything as stupid as paying for two songs and only selling one of them. They're not a charity and there's no way they'd ever make money on that kind of deal. The only way I see fault on their part is going the other way, that they shouldn't have licensed the song at all if they couldn't get both parts.

If paying twice as much to license two "songs" more than doubled the sales--and it definitely would--then they certainly would be making money on the deal. From any standpoint it would have been a better idea to get the whole song.

Black Magic Woman will not be financially successful as DLC without Gypsy Queen.
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vuljatar wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

If paying twice as much to license two "songs" more than doubled the sales--and it definitely would--then they certainly would be making money on the deal. From any standpoint it would have been a better idea to get the whole song.

Black Magic Woman will not be financially successful as DLC without Gypsy Queen.

No it wouldn't, most people aren't going to know in advance about it. They're just going to see from the music store, or on a game website "Black Magic Woman" not at any point ask themselves "I wonder if Gypsy Queen is part of this" and buy it. This will have next to no effect on sales of the dlc.

So many people on here are stuck in this bubble where they think the majority of people are aware of, or care about, these details.

Also, if they licensed both songs separately they'd have had to sell twice as much as normal and there's no conceivable reason for them to think people are going to empathize with their licensing plight and buy two copies of the song to compensate them for it. At that point it would just make sense to not license the song at all and just license another song that's not as problematic.
PlatStrat  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vuljatar wrote:

And you base this on what exactly? Other than the hardcore community, no one's going to even bother to find out if it's on there and buy it regardless. And even then in the hardcore community you have your DLC whores and people who'll get it because it has a protar upgrade and again there are people who will buy it regardless that it doesn't have Gypsy Queen. So how would it not be successful without it?

Edit: kinda ninja'd by yakkity
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TQSG wrote:
82erkle wrote:
OGaP will never be FC'ed.

You know what, I'm the guy that usually says "nothing is unFCable", but I'm going to have to agree. I don't see this ever being FCed.

I actually came to this thread to say that too. I always said TTFAF and DWDTG were possible when a lot of people didn't agree. However, I firmly believe that if there is a song that will never be FCed, OGaP would be that song. I won't say impossible though. There is a difference.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
Bront  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deak2112 wrote:
TQSG wrote:
82erkle wrote:
OGaP will never be FC'ed.

You know what, I'm the guy that usually says "nothing is unFCable", but I'm going to have to agree. I don't see this ever being FCed.

I actually came to this thread to say that too. I always said TTFAF and DWDTG were possible when a lot of people didn't agree. However, I firmly believe that if there is a song that will never be FCed, OGaP would be that song. I won't say impossible though. There is a difference.
Both songs have already been "technical FCed". So it's possible. Just highly unlikely for a while.

Songs: Just over 1000.
Finalizer  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bront wrote:
Both songs have already been "technical FCed". So it's possible. Just highly unlikely for a while.

TtFaF has, but I'm pretty sure people have been excited just to legitimately pass OGaP. I don't think anyone's FC'd those 32nd note sections yet.

Oh snap son | Finalizer's Custom charts | Attention Internet: Before you use the word "Awesome", consider using this first.
Niall  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed replies, everyone. What I got out of it:

- I didn't know GH3's BMW/GQ was a cover, so yes, they got both for much less money. This explains the differences in approach between the two games.

- I fully believe the label house would put both as seperate licencing; since this is a very iconic track, I figure the cost for just BMW was not cheap either.

- I was unaware the "funky, fun end part of BMW" was a seperate track with its own name; I may not be the only one, and so many may buy the track without checking on here, and be a little surprised.

So I think the track will be popular, especially bundled with the two great songs in it. A letdown, but an understandable one. I don't think it was going to be ever possible to have the same thing as GH3. Purists won't buy it at all, others will enjoy but still be sad, more others won't care...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finalizer wrote:
Bront wrote:

TtFaF has, but I'm pretty sure people have been excited just to legitimately pass OGaP. I don't think anyone's FC'd those 32nd note sections yet.
No, someone posted a link to an OGaP technical FC video sometime on release day.

Me, I don't think I'll touch either song. I'm not a masochist, and I'm still struggling to pass Betty and Me.

Hobo111  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bront wrote:
Finalizer wrote:
Bront wrote:

No, someone posted a link to an OGaP technical FC video sometime on release day.
UM, WHAT?
Bront  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
Bront wrote:
Finalizer wrote:
Bront wrote:

UM, WHAT?
Technical FC = FCing each part separately. (I'd never heard of it before). At least that's what they claimed it was (I couldn't check at the time, no one disputed it).

Search is borked there, so I'm not going to go look for it again.

Doing a youtube search, WMG appears to be actively removing vids, so it might have gotten pulled.

Hobo111  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bront wrote:
Hobo111 wrote:
Bront wrote:
Finalizer wrote:
Bront wrote:

UM, WHAT?
Technical FC = FCing each part separately. (I'd never heard of it before). At least that's what they claimed it was (I couldn't check at the time, no one disputed it).

Search is borked there, so I'm not going to go look for it again.

Doing a youtube search, WMG appears to be actively removing vids, so it might have gotten pulled.
I think he means TTFAF tech FC.
DerWaffelappen  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was mentioned in this thread already, I completely missed it... Exactly how fast is all that crazy crap in Operation Ground and Pound, NPS-wise?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Mister Salami
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Rock Band News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: