FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
pause kill OD
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucasPWNS8907  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: pause kill OD Reply with quote

is there someone on here that can explain why scorehero is allowing this antic in pathing? it's literally breaking the game to get a higher score. i would just like legitimate reasoning or justification or official policy even on this issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LucasPWNS8907 PSN Name: TheyCallMeLucas
thewinnerisgeeg  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's because it's in the game without hacking or modifying it.

im a girl now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: geegSH
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with it, as it's obviously a glitch in the engine mechanics and was never intended as a normal mechanics of vocals. However, I also don't agree with pausing to rewind and hit windows, and abusing calibration to get higher scores, yet here we are. It will be argued that the engine allows you to do these things so they must be allowed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twistedoak wrote:
I don't agree with it, as it's obviously a glitch in the engine mechanics and was never intended as a normal mechanics of vocals. However, I also don't agree with pausing to rewind and hit windows, and abusing calibration to get higher scores, yet here we are. It will be argued that the engine allows you to do these things so they must be allowed.

there is no such thing as abusing calibration to get higher scores (for vocals at least). i never understood the logic behind allowing the pause button activating.
under this logic of yours it seems fair to be able to have a friend fail out in full band to pause your OD drain so you can squeeze out something now previously unsqueezable because "the engine allows it". any further detail/distinction would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LucasPWNS8907 PSN Name: TheyCallMeLucas
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rock Band 3 vocal engine doesn't cater towards a competitive spirit in a similar manner to its predecessors. Telling someone they can't pause in a song isn't a rule that can be enforced on Scorehero. The difference is a few frames of OD, which won't result in an astronomical amount points being added to a user's score.

I don't support the changes HMX has made in the engine. Push button activating was really the final straw for me. If the glitch bothers you so much, perhaps stop singing for score so much. I know that's what I, and many other former competitive vocalists, have decided to do.
LucasPWNS8907  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndestructibleSD wrote:
The Rock Band 3 vocal engine doesn't cater towards a competitive spirit in a similar manner to its predecessors. Telling someone they can't pause in a song isn't a rule that can be enforced on Scorehero. The difference is a few frames of OD, which won't result in an astronomical amount points being added to a user's score.

I don't support the changes HMX has made in the engine. Push button activating was really the final straw for me. If the glitch bothers you so much, perhaps stop singing for score so much. I know that's what I, and many other former competitive vocalists, have decided to do.

push button activating is the greatest thing to ever happen to rock band vocals. i still enjoy going for score but there are some blatant abuse issues score-wise on the LBs. as for pause squeezing, it's difficult to trace whether it's happening or not. it's just that there's SO much i like about singing in rock band 3 that it's hard to stay away from the competetive edge.
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push button being a good addition is debatable. It took a significant portion of the difficulty of achieving high scores out of the game. Perfect timing was what separated the best from the rest in games prior to RB3. The only thing that RB3 has that even resembles its predecessors in terms of squeezing is the fact that you still need to sing on pitch.

So I guess I fail to see why push button activation is "the greatest thing to ever to happen to Rock Band vocals" considering anyone can get a high score just by pressing a button now.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndestructibleSD wrote:
Push button being a good addition is debatable. It took a significant portion of the difficulty of achieving high scores out of the game. Perfect timing was what separated the best from the rest in games prior to RB3. The only thing that RB3 has that even resembles its predecessors in terms of squeezing is the fact that you still need to sing on pitch.

So I guess I fail to see why push button activation is "the greatest thing to ever to happen to Rock Band vocals" considering anyone can get a high score just by pressing a button now.

Button activation is bad for competitive vocal scoring, but it does make the actual act of singing much more natural and stress-free, particularly on songs where you would otherwise choose to take a breath during an OD window (see: Feeling This).

As for killing OD using failure, as far as I know, it is NOT allowed on ScoreHero. I saw the potential for abuse back when it was first discovered and remarked upon it here:

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32539

JCirri chimed in with this:

JCirri wrote:
Good point. I think the most logical stance is to require that solo scores submitted to SH are actually obtained in a solo setting.

But realistically, considering that proof isn't even required unless we ask, we won't be deleting every single solo score that doesn't meet that requirement. We will take action in cases where we notice abuse of solo scores under band play (e.g. intentional band-specific paths designed for improved solo scores), or scores that are otherwise impossible to achieve as a true solo score regardless of intention.

If you're seeing SH leaderboard scores that are clearly impossible, I would definitely report them.
tidus  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for myself, do succeed in seeing the button activation as something alluring, with so many times that I had to feel puny and ridiculous after yelling "WOO!", just to have to restart the song because the OD didn't want to be employed. All for a measly Top 50 score that gets down easily. Frustrating.

Either way, everyone will be able to activate OD as late as possible, but what about the back end of the activations? o_O

And before execrating me for insisting on taking the competitive course: for being the only instrument I have any excellence at, I do want take some steps further and be on the competitive zone on Vocals always when possible.

My 2 cents, bye.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how being the best at saying woo that latest made people the best singers I'll never know. Button activating makes the best singers the best singers. Seems like a great concept to me.

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BowlZ wrote:
how being the best at saying woo that latest made people the best singers I'll never know. Button activating makes the best singers the best singers. Seems like a great concept to me.

It was never a matter of being the best at saying woo. It was a matter of who was dedicated enough to perfect their timing. The activation sound was irrelevant. I know RJ and I use a vvvv sound (similar to the world vroom) for the majority of our activations.

It's just sad to see HMX making the process of getting a high score simpler. They've taken the squeeze out of squeezing. (Squeezing your select button doesn't count)

Obviously everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt considering my tremendous dedication to RB2, but it's sad to see HMX violate "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
MasterNobody  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndestructibleSD wrote:
it's sad to see HMX violate "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Thing is it was broke.

Many people were having issues activating at all, due to the auto-sensitivity issues present on 360, and some windows were impossible to hit without pausing and rewinding. If that's not broken I don't know what is...hence why they fixed it.

Not that I don't think they could have probably fixed it by addressing the appearance of windows and the sensitivity problem, but hey, they killed two birds with one stone with this addition...or killed one and seriously maimed the other xP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterNobody wrote:
IndestructibleSD wrote:

Thing is it was broke.

Many people were having issues activating at all, due to the auto-sensitivity issues present on 360, and some windows were impossible to hit without pausing and rewinding. If that's not broken I don't know what is...hence why they fixed it.

Not that I don't think they could have probably fixed it by addressing the appearance of windows and the sensitivity problem, but hey, they killed two birds with one stone with this addition...or killed one and seriously maimed the other xP

I was referencing the RB2 engine as my "if it ain't broke don't fix it" example. Trust me, we all know of the myriad of issues RB3's engine has lol.
MasterNobody  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndestructibleSD wrote:
MasterNobody wrote:
IndestructibleSD wrote:

Thing is it was broke.

I was referencing the RB2 engine as my "if it ain't broke don't fix it" example. Trust me, we all know of the myriad of issues RB3's engine has lol.

Oh. Durrrrrrrrrrr *flails arms around and falls over*
Forgive my suddenly very poor basic reading skills.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the new mechanics being bad for competitive gameplay, but i do beleive that, for casual play, pause-and-rewind is by far the best pausing mechanic that we've had in rhythm games, and RB3 was definately more aimed at the casual market than the competitive one, so im not gonna hold it against HMX too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: