FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GH games suspended indefinitely. What does this mean for RB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
preppypoof  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: GH games suspended indefinitely. What does this mean for RB? Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/09/guitar.hero.gone/index.html

Ways this could be good for the Rock Band franchise:
- Less watering down of the market; better sales for Rock Band games?
- No more Guitar Hero exclusive artists; wider range of DLC / on-disc songs?

Ways this could be bad for the Rock Band franchise:
- A sign of a soon-to-be dead genre?
- Competition breeds innovation, will HMX start being sloppy with no major competition?

My initial reaction was worry for the genre. I really hope HMX keeps making Rock Band games, but I'm very worried. What do you guys think?
espher  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of making a thread like this when I first read the story, but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for the RB side of the boards, really.

I don't think we have to worry about Harmonix being 'sloppy', since it seems their primary motivator in making music games has not been dollar signs.

I do wonder what it means for Harmonix's access to material, however... will the exclusivity arrangements still hold of the business unit is gone? Were there contingencies in them for this sort of thing?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
toopskittles  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a strange thing to think about. on the topic of loss of quality due to lack of competition, i don't think it really applies. the genre is struggling and harmonix can't afford to be sloppy, especially right now while they are independently operated. dropping the ball on the quality of a game would essentially ruin them.

and i, like probably everyone else, am curious about the exclusives, other than the obvious dlc possibilities, is there a chance we could get the metallica, soundgarden, and red hot chilli peppers export songs back?

Shredin0id  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that since Rock Band has no competition more users will get DLC as long as no other Guitar Hero DLC is made. And if Rock Band is the only game to buy in the future they will make 100% of all buys in music games (not unless there's a new crappy music game that someone's crazy to buy.) Well I really hope the genre doesn't die out. I'm praying right now!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, I think this is good for the GH franchise, assuming it's a break, and is not gone forever. If it's just an extended break, they run the risk of losing a bunch of people, but churning out releases year after year (or, to many a complaint, more often than that) would do much the same thing.

As for Rock Band, I think HMX will probably just keep on with what they want to do, they didn't pay too much attention to what GH does anyway (if they did, there would be open bass notes in RB3).
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
TheHammer417  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me, the rhythm game genre had it's peak around the GH3 era...
I'm sure Harmonix will continue to put out games, but what more can they add to them after RB3...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough to say. Hopefully Harmonix will keep doing what they're doing. I really, really, hope so.

www.highschoolorlower.com | VISIT OR PERISH
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ViperX66
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

espher wrote:
I was thinking of making a thread like this when I first read the story, but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for the RB side of the boards, really.

As long as the discussion here remains about the impact on RB/HMX, I'm personally ok with it. Discussion purely about the GH announcement should go on the other side.

I would not assume that this means the end to any exclusives quite yet. It depends on the terms of the licensing. Even though there is no more DLC / no upcoming game in 2011, it doesn't automatically nullify a deal signed for a game released in 2010. In fact I would assume it wouldn't. If we see any Metallica / RHCP / Soundgarden announcements from HMX then I reserve the right to revise my opinion on this .

I think if there is a RB4 forthcoming anytime soon it will be more like what RB2 was to RB1; new songs, bug fixes and experience improvements, but not major innovation. I think this would have been the case regardless of what was announced today.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think HMX would be wise to wait a while before considering RB4. Oversaturation is basically what caused the whole mess IMO, and with the versatility of RB3 + RBN, I don't remotely see a need for a new title.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
I think HMX would be wise to wait a while before considering RB4. Oversaturation is basically what caused the whole mess IMO, and with the versatility of RB3 + RBN, I don't remotely see a need for a new title.

This, really.

What will it mean for Rock Band? Well... hopefully the lack of competition will encourage EA/HMX to make some sort of effort to promote, and therefore sell more than five copies of, any future games in Europe. It was like they saw how much more popular GH is over here and decided flat-out not to bother.

As agreed above though, I'd hope that future games are a long way in the future, but perhaps a relaunch of RB3 would be a good idea to make up for the complete lack of one in October.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, what do you mean "no competition" ? This totally opens the door for PowerGig.
BlueTornado  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:

This. I don't mind waiting until 2012 or 2013 before we see RB4. Harmonix should learn from Neversoft and not fall into oversaturation, especially because now they're the only major music game brand. I only hope the best for RB and that the GH-exclusive artists can come over. I'm worried about RB as well with the decline of the genre.

You have died of dysentery. Put in your sig if lemons.
Proud Christian: If you are a Christian, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Christians are on ScoreHero!
***My Accomplishments: 67 RB2 H Guitar FCs!***
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BlueTornadoSH
Xepher850  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
PowerGig.

lol

MY ROCK BAND DRUM ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Will not remove from my signature until the whole debut album from Periphery is released as DLC
lazor  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting RB4 will be the last RB release for this gen of consoles.
DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
Guys, what do you mean "no competition" ? This totally opens the door for PowerGig.

lol

If so then they need to get a move on.

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:
If only there were a like button for ScoreHero posts...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: