FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Alternating right hand and right foot is killing me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S100Headache  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Alternating right hand and right foot is killing me! Reply with quote

I can go really fast when my right hand and right foot are going together, but when they alternate, I find myself fighting my foot. The more constant this beat, the worse I do.

I can 5-star Humanoid and almost 5-star Thrasher (no thanks to the fills), but anything faster and I drop dead. Unfortunately, a Pro Drums lesson ("Toms of Doom") is faster and is preventing me from unlocking my underwear.

Eighth 360 RB3 Completionist.
Tagrineth  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, you're looking at a limb independence issue here. The only thing you can do is keep at it and eventually it'll click. Practice at slower speeds and work your way up.

Take something like Toms of Doom and do it at 100bpm a few times. Then bump up the bpm until you start struggling, and practice at that bpm and the bpm below it until you can 100% the bpm you were struggling with.

Then, repeat the process, bumping up the bpm one step at a time. Practice practice practice.

My goals:
Put an X in this box: []
*loves dragons*
stuff i've done, insanely out of date
S100Headache  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, any songs other than the two I mentioned in the OP (to give you an idea of the speed I can just barely do) that have a similar pattern?

The lesson, I can handle at 85% speed, I managed to do 90% once.

I also plan on replacing the spring in my pedal with a lighter one, so my foot doesn't have to fight as much and I can focus on the motion.

Hobo111  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alternating right hand and right foot is killing me! Reply with quote

S100Headache wrote:
Unfortunately, a Pro Drums lesson ("Toms of Doom") is faster and is preventing me from unlocking my underwear.
Unlocking your underwear... weird. But really, if you can't do Tons of Doom, you aren't getting the underwear anytime soon, because there's much harder ones out there.
S100Headache  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Alternating right hand and right foot is killing me! Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
S100Headache wrote:
Unfortunately, a Pro Drums lesson ("Toms of Doom") is faster and is preventing me from unlocking my underwear.
Unlocking your underwear... weird. But really, if you can't do Tons of Doom, you aren't getting the underwear anytime soon, because there's much harder ones out there.

The only other two beats I have left are Tribal Frenzy 3 and Smells Like That Beat. The latter is just borked because it's faster than the actual song it's referring to - no joke, I can 5-star the actual song.

In the meantime, I'll be searching through my song library for songs that feature this. Ace of Spades is fast enough, but then there are on-beat kicks added which make it much easier because I can anchor my foot.

I just went back to the kit and I can confirm that pedal noise is also throwing me off. Looks like it's off to the hardware subforum to quiet this thing.

MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found those today and did all the expert ones. Just keep trying at Toms, I kept screwing up but then randomly FCed it.
S100Headache  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I stuffed my pedal with eraser chunks and electrical tape - reduced the travel and the noise. Half of the problem is gone.

I then got around to calibrating again (I move my 360 between an HDTV and an old CRT). How I forgot to do that, I don't know. Must have been the combination of correct calibration and that moment it finally clicked. Now to go off and play this type of beat in the wild.

Apparently, it was only an accident of fate. I couldn't keep the beat on Thrasher, the song I used to practice separation. (Then again, Thrasher has the foot on 1, while the other beat had the hands on 1)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: