FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
S12: RB3 Pro Keys League: Winner is Voltgloss!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malictus  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Rock Lobster path, the best I can remember it (based on looking at this).

All activations assume you are whammying whenever possible.
Activation 1 - Immediately after the last note of the second OD phrase. This is the trickiest activation; you'll need to have just enough OD so that every note of the third OD phrase is included in your OD EXCEPT the last one.
Activation 2 - After the 4th OD phrase and the long silence, 2 beats before the two-note chords start up again. Again this should be timed so that every note of the 5th OD phrase is included except the last one.
Activation 3 - Right on the 5th note after the 6th OD phrase (start of measure 67, if you're looking at the chart).
Activation 4 - Middle of measure 74. (This one I can't quite remember exactly, but it should definitely not overlap the end of the next OD phrase.
Activation 5 - After the silence after the 9th OD phrase (measure 93). If you did it right you should have a full bar of OD going into this, or very close. This is where I might have been able to squeeze in another note.

Last edited by malictus on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Voltgloss  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malictus wrote:
Here's my Rock Lobster path, the best I can remember it (based on looking at this).

All activations assume you are whammying whenever possible.
Activation 1 - Immediately after the last note of the second OD phrase. This is the trickiest activation; you'll need to have just enough OD so that every note of the third OD phrase is included in your OD EXCEPT the last one.
Activation 2 - After the 4th OD phrase and the long silence, 2 beats before the two-note chords start up again. Again this should be timed so that every note of the 5th OD phrase is included except the last one.
Activation 3 - Right on the 5th note after the 6th OD phrase (start of measure 67, if you're looking at the chart).
Activation 4 - After the silence after the 9th OD phrase (measure 93). If you did it right you should have a full bar of OD going into this, or very close. This is where I might have been able to squeeze in another note.

Malictus, I think your description may be missing an activation - although you clearly didn't miss it in practice. Perhaps at the fourth beat of measure 74?

With that added, we used the same path - except you were more skilled at squeezing in all the notes for Activations 1 and 2. Nicely done!
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol at me being last in replacements.
malictus  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltgloss wrote:
Malictus, I think your description may be missing an activation - although you clearly didn't miss it in practice. Perhaps at the fourth beat of measure 74?

With that added, we used the same path - except you were more skilled at squeezing in all the notes for Activations 1 and 2. Nicely done!

Whoops you're right! I've corrected the post now to reflect the missing activation. I was trying to do it by looking at the chart only, so I just missed one.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that path Malictus. Yeah, we were pretty much right in line. For the most part, the strategy is "run out immediately before the last OD note".

While the first two activations are tricky, the good news is that they generally don't leave you guessing whether or not you did them properly. The 3rd activation I believe is the first quarter note after a short sustain. #4 is the one where I believe you got your advantage. I think my OD ran out a note or two before the final note of the very next OD phrase. #5, unless there's an OD trick with the touch pad to get it full, I have my doubts that this squeeze is possible. If it is, then there are at least 481 points still on the table - and possibly 721.
Dougtron3030  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
Lol at me being last in replacements.

You took my spot! I was sure I had last place locked up!

Congrats to those in the playoffs!
Voltgloss  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this round's song is China Grove? Can't say I was expecting that song to have made it into the "final" tier.

I won't lie, I was hoping for Antibodies this round. ...So what do I get instead? The pleasure of playing Antibodies in the Bass league instead.

Good luck all!

Edit: Oh, and here's something you'll all appreciate. I was randomly playing online Pro Keys tonight and some kind soul I was playing with put Need You Tonight in the setlist. But that's not the interesting part. The interesting part was the results when we were done:

Perhaps the key to getting the extra tick is to play the song as part of a multi-person band?
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltgloss wrote:
So this round's song is China Grove? Can't say I was expecting that song to have made it into the "final" tier.

Well, like I said a while back, I didn't limit the randomizer choices for playoffs to only the handful of most ridiculous songs. I agree with the complaint that was brought up a few times in the past that it doesn't seem right to determine seeds by a combination of pathing and skill but then only use the very hardest songs to determine the winner. Granted, it shouldn't be an easy song where ties are likely, either, but not one where it's so difficult that pathing goes out the window for most people.

So basically, the songs you'll see are among the harder ones in the game, but are not all going to be Llama/Roundabout difficulty.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
malictus  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltgloss wrote:
Edit: Oh, and here's something you'll all appreciate. I was randomly playing online Pro Keys tonight and some kind soul I was playing with put Need You Tonight in the setlist. But that's not the interesting part. The interesting part was the results when we were done:

Perhaps the key to getting the extra tick is to play the song as part of a multi-person band?

Congrats for knocking a million people from 3rd place to 4th place
googleimage  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not the round 1 song is extreme or merely sorta-tough, all I care about is that it's effin awesome.

I'm definitely gonna have my work cut out for me on it, but it's one I'll enjoy spending some time with.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think China Grove is a good pick. It's definitely easy to pass, but there are only a handful of FCs and a good deal of variation in score based on path. The real litmus test is how many ties there end up being... if half of you guys end up with optimal FCs it's not a good choice, but if there are no ties, it is.
Voltgloss  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to suggest China Grove is a bad choice. I was simply surprised to see it among the "eight to ten hardest songs" that woozerkristen had indicated was the set from which playoff songs would be drawn. Back when we were all speculating what songs were in that set, China Grove was routinely excluded from our lists, in favor of "lower tier" songs like Smoke on the Water and Fly Like an Eagle.

I do think it's a good choice. Just surprised me, that's all. It's definitely a fun song, which means I'll probably play it and submit a score "just for fun" and see how I stack up against everyone.

RB3 Expert Pro Keys FCs: 58/63 + 214 DLC. My accomplishments thread.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltgloss wrote:
I wasn't trying to suggest China Grove is a bad choice. I was simply surprised to see it among the "eight to ten hardest songs" that woozerkristen had indicated was the set from which playoff songs would be drawn. Back when we were all speculating what songs were in that set, China Grove was routinely excluded from our lists, in favor of "lower tier" songs like Smoke on the Water and Fly Like an Eagle.

Understood. I'd agree it's not in the top 10 hardest songs. This was a pretty fun league in that ties were pretty rare. Incidentally thanks for not getting that 15121 on Need You Tonight until now...
malictus  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me China Grove is a great song to work on --- decently difficult but a FC isn't entirely out of the question. Guess I gotta get going on this now...
GanonMetroid  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got RRoD. Gonna have to drop out.

Already have my co-op roulette score done and I got a bye this round in guitar. Hopefully I can find workarounds for the next rounds in those, but I haven't done my score yet for this so I'll have to drop. Sorry.

Videos. Guitar Hero accomplishments. Rock Band accomplishments. GH customs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv Ganon PSN Name: PanOfMopsicle ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: