FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help using double Bass ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Help using double Bass ? Reply with quote

I have played real drums for about a year and a half now. I listen to a lot of metal music, so naturally, that's what I what to play. So with some christmas money, I bought some Pacific drums DP402s (For those who don't know of them : http://www.guitarcenter.com/PDP-DP402-Double-Bass-Drum-Pedal-100991934-i1135452.gc). However, I am having a lot of trouble using them. My left foot is literally disfunctional. My drum teacher said he'd help me with some of it, but I'd still like to hear any good advice for practicing double bass. Any tips? I know I have them set up right, so it's not that. :/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice for this kind of question is generally play everything with your left foot for a while. I'm in the same boat just in RB and i've started to play songs with my left foot for half my playing time then switching back to my right. Do it until you feel as comfortable playing with your left as you do with your right.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EinsteinSL wrote:
The advice for this kind of question is generally play everything with your left foot for a while. I'm in the same boat just in RB and i've started to play songs with my left foot for half my playing time then switching back to my right. Do it until you feel as comfortable playing with your left as you do with your right.

So like lefty flip, except for your feet? maybe I'll give that a go!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure how that would work... I'm comfortable enough with my left foot to pass Embedded on lefty flip but I assure you I cannot double bass to save my life. If I try, I still end up trying to move both legs at the same time.

Not saying it won't work, it's just, I guess he's telling you to get your leg's stamina up? Anyway moving one leg is mentally different from moving two in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly are you having problems with with double bass? Is it continuously alternating? Or just fast gallops? If it's continuous fast bass what i did to get used to it is whenever i'me sitting somewhere i just act like i'm using double bass. Even when i'm stopped at a red light while i'm driving. Start off slow to make sure it stays even, then you'll naturally pick up a lot of speed. I'm not saying i'm a master of double bass but I used to be TERRIBLE at it, now i'm just mediocre. Hope this helped
EinsteinSL  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaelaen wrote:
Anyway moving one leg is mentally different from moving two in my experience.

Yeah I was talking about stamina more since that's what I need to work on but the only way to get your legs coordinated for double bass is to just practice it, theres no trick to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing double bass for a little while now, but only recently started to actually focus on practice for just the feet. The advice I found, and am putting to use, is play through Stick Control with your feet, heels down. If you've never seen it, it's basically 16th note patterns with various stickings that you repeat over and over before moving on. RLRLRLRL or RLRLLRLR are a couple of examples, but there are many combinations. These exercises will help you develop control. Just start out slow and work your way up. I'm going through at 80 BPM right now.

Also, use a metronome everytime. Playing fast doesn't matter if you can't do it evenly. Keep this up and you will start to see real progress with your left foot. Don't get frustrated though. It can take some time to get it built up.

Once your foot feels comfortable, try the Speed & Control workout here: http://www.georgekollias.com/index2.htm

Hope it all works out for you and feel free to ask anything.
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drummerguy520 wrote:
I've been playing double bass for a little while now, but only recently started to actually focus on practice for just the feet. The advice I found, and am putting to use, is play through Stick Control with your feet, heels down. If you've never seen it, it's basically 16th note patterns with various stickings that you repeat over and over before moving on. RLRLRLRL or RLRLLRLR are a couple of examples, but there are many combinations. These exercises will help you develop control. Just start out slow and work your way up. I'm going through at 80 BPM right now.

Also, use a metronome everytime. Playing fast doesn't matter if you can't do it evenly. Keep this up and you will start to see real progress with your left foot. Don't get frustrated though. It can take some time to get it built up.

Once your foot feels comfortable, try the Speed & Control workout here: http://www.georgekollias.com/index2.htm

Hope it all works out for you and feel free to ask anything.

I actually have a stick control book at home. That's great advice, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: