FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pro Drummers - where do you have your crash and ride set up?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome11  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Pro Drummers - where do you have your crash and ride set up? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get a feel for my set and I can't decide where I like having my ride and crash cymbals.

I know it's a very personal thing, but in terms of RB how do prefer it? Do you like the specific cymbals to coincide with the colored positioning on the RB charts, or do you just have them where you like it?

Right now I have the "green" crash on the left (even though it's charted in RB on the far right). I feel like some songs it's easier if it's on the left, but others it's easier on the right. My ride is on the right, near the "blue" pad (mid tom).

How do you have yours set up? Do a lot of you have a crash on the right and the left?

(I'm right handed, btw.)
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash on the left, ride on the right.

edit: Oops. I fail.
EinsteinSL  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my crash on the right because it's an easier transition going from a roll across the toms to the crash.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your crash on the right, isn't it a rather awkward crossover for hitting ride patterns? It seems like your arm would get in the way of at least the yellow tom, making it harder for patterns like that Radar Love jazzy bit.
EinsteinSL  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:
With your crash on the right, isn't it a rather awkward crossover for hitting ride patterns? It seems like your arm would get in the way of at least the yellow tom, making it harder for patterns like that Radar Love jazzy bit.

Not really sure what you mean, it's been a while since I played Radar and i've never played it on Pro. Here's a picture of my kit, the ride isn't even close to the yellow pad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EinsteinSL wrote:
MehPlusRawr wrote:

Not really sure what you mean, it's been a while since I played Radar and i've never played it on Pro. Here's a picture of my kit, the ride isn't even close to the yellow pad.

My set looks like this.

I thought the standard order for pads was red-yellow-blue-green.

Snare is red, and the three toms, from left to right, are yellow, blue, and green. Ride is at the top left, hi-hat is at the left, crash is at the top right.
EinsteinSL  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah those are just pad silencers, I just switched the colors because the yellow was wearing out. It's still the regular RYBG setup.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:

My set looks like this.

Snare is red, and the three toms, from left to right, are yellow, blue, and green. Ride is at the top left, hi-hat is at the left, crash is at the top right.

That's a very condensed setup, and it's best not to bring real drumsets into this. As generally on a real drumset you'll have your ride to the far right, giving your hand free range across the set when playing ride beats. And usually you place the crash wherever feels natural to you (on my set I have one above my mid tom, one just above my hi-hat, and one to the right and underneath my ride).

However that wouldn't translate well onto a Rock Band drumset, as the blue cymbal is not always a ride, so it's best to keep the normal setup of yellow on the left, blue in the "middle" (on the right), and green on the right.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's the actual drumset I have. I'm playing using the MIDI box.
Rome11  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:

That's a very condensed setup, and it's best not to bring real drumsets into this. As generally on a real drumset you'll have your ride to the far right, giving your hand free range across the set when playing ride beats. And usually you place the crash wherever feels natural to you (on my set I have one above my mid tom, one just above my hi-hat, and one to the right and underneath my ride).

However that wouldn't translate well onto a Rock Band drumset, as the blue cymbal is not always a ride, so it's best to keep the normal setup of yellow on the left, blue in the "middle" (on the right), and green on the right.

i'm using a Roland set with Pro Mode, so it's all I have to use. I think it would almost be beneficial to me to get another crash cymbal so I can have on on each side of the kit. Anyone know where to get another cymbal mount for a TD-4S that will match my other ones?

Right now I just have one and have experimented having it on both sides. I can't figure out what I like better because some songs it feels natural on a certain side, but others not so much.

also, for those using e-kits, how low do you have your snare in relation to your high hat? i always seem to be banging sticks or hands on certain beats.
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome11 wrote:

also, for those using e-kits, how low do you have your snare in relation to your high hat? i always seem to be banging sticks or hands on certain beats.

About three inches lower.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye three inches at a minimum. I personally have my real set at 6 inch difference, but with an e-set on rock band, you don't need to worry about accenting notes so 3 inches will be fine.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2ryNjTP00

My setup is pretty standard. Hihat right above the snare (so I can do disco beats well), ride above the blue tom and crash right below it and to the right a bit.
S4VN01  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to set mine up (when I had it set up) just like my real kit. Yellow cymbal to the left of the snare and slightly above it (where a usual hi-hat would be), crash located on the right side of the kit Above the blue and green toms, and the ride all the way to the right, over just the green tom.
I don't know about you guys, but I as a player of video games - and therefore a musician - am certainly enamoured of the prospect of, next time I begin to play Horrible Night, sitting down with a wide grin on my face as I rub my hands together in glee and shout out to the world "I know your secret! You're in a deceptive time signature!" before failing to hit any notes at all because the song is still balls-out hard.

My Youtube! My Youtube for GD:RB! My Twitter!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: S4VN01
Systematic1  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
MehPlusRawr wrote:

My set looks like this.

Actually, IMO, there's VERY few songs (I own 600+) where it's a problem. I have my hi hat (yellow cymb) almost directly above the snare (pro mode makes disco beats awesome), my ride (blue cymb) directly above the blue tom, and the crash(green cymb) directly above the floor tom.

The only song I've run into where it's an issue is Subdivisions. That gets REALLY, REALLY fucking hard when I have to swing to my ride constantly. If I had my yellow+blue cymbs on the left of the set, it'd be much easier.

I tried finding a picture since I don't feel like uploading, but I can't find a damn ION kit on google images thats setup like mine. Frankly, its set up JUST like a RB2+madcatz 3cymb kit, except the cymbals are much higher/spread out.

edit: Here's a setup much like mine. Not me playing, found on Google.[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: