FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Easier way to activate OD. on RB3?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xepher850  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Easier way to activate OD. on RB3? Reply with quote

I'm trying to FC Subdivisions and I'm literally having to shout, LOUD, into the mic to get it to activate. Does anybody know any easier ways to activate? Just using a stock RB2 mic.

MY ROCK BAND DRUM ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Will not remove from my signature until the whole debut album from Periphery is released as DLC
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few tips:

With the new patch, the game seems to take note of ambient noise and require something louder (thus avoiding auto-activations), so if you have a lot of noise or have your game sound high, turn it down some and you should be able to avoid screaming. When playing by myself I activate in a normal speaking voice. When I had some friends over and I had the game playing loudly through the stereo, we couldn't get it to activate no matter how loud we screamed, even with the mic literally in my mouth.

The game also seems to prefer if your activation noise is not in the same octave as whatever you're singing, so if you're doing falsetto, use a low voice.

I've also had better success using a varied pitch, going up and down (like a motor revving), rather than one quick shout or one stable pitch.
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering this myself cause its really hard to activate vocals when you have half a second in between lines and you need to jump to a higher octave and back down (I'm not really a good vocalist) so thanks I'll try some of these.

I've also found tapping the mic (like for cowbell) somewhat forcibly can activate it so this could be an easy way of not needing to strain your voice.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
Serj42  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to make a new topic about this but this seems like the right place to post this . The new patch makes it so that Vocal OD can be activated with the "back " or "select" button now. I personally love this as I've always had trouble activating during smaller windows.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serj42 wrote:
Was going to make a new topic about this but this seems like the right place to post this . The new patch makes it so that Vocal OD can be activated with the "back " or "select" button now. I personally love this as I've always had trouble activating during smaller windows.

In before the purists cry foul.

I like this option. It's a lot less stressful than playing Stupid Vocal Tricks to hit tiny windows and sounds better too since you no longer have to make choices like "breathe or activate overdrive" on songs like Feeling This.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a HUGE glitch in this. Using select button to activate overdrive will, just like pressing start, negate overdrive if your activation happens to be inside of an overdrive phrase. (See first activation of me enamora) So if its a BOD or a DOD don't use select!
Iggy-Sparks  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about it?
I tried to play "The Beautiful People" and played the DOD activation with SELECT, the star power was added to the star power that was running.

EDIT : Just FCed Me amonera using only select button, no problem for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: McDuboff
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Serj42 wrote:

In before the purists cry foul.

I like this option. It's a lot less stressful than playing Stupid Vocal Tricks to hit tiny windows and sounds better too since you no longer have to make choices like "breathe or activate overdrive" on songs like Feeling This.

/me crying foul

Oh well, at least I don't play competitively anymore. I'm sure some people will be upset with this.
PlexShaw  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggy-Sparks wrote:
Are you sure about it?
I tried to play "The Beautiful People" and played the DOD activation with SELECT, the star power was added to the star power that was running.

Yeah, it works fine for me too. I wonder if this is a PS3-only problem?

On the topic of button OD activation, whilst I'm sure many are no doubt pleased with this, my issue is that this doesn't address the underlying problems with the mic sensitivity and seems like a very lazy "fix" to me.

From me, the mic is normally way too sensitive due to the relatively low volume I play at, so I can often accidentally activate by coughing at the wrong moment. My concern now is that Harmonix will assume that this problem is resolved and do no further work on fixing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PlexShaw PSN Name: PlexShaw Wii Friend Code: 5941308033072690
r0bd0g  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer to be able to press a button to activate, but, I'm on Wii. My main concern here is that it puts the Wii at a huge disadvantage. Any Wii vocalists in the leagues should just drop out now, and save themselves a ton of headaches. And in band, there's going to be the occasional FRS, AS, or PB that would be impractical to perform on Wii, in the online setting.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlexShaw wrote:
Iggy-Sparks wrote:
Are you sure about it?

Yeah, it works fine for me too. I wonder if this is a PS3-only problem?

On the topic of button OD activation, whilst I'm sure many are no doubt pleased with this, my issue is that this doesn't address the underlying problems with the mic sensitivity and seems like a very lazy "fix" to me.

From me, the mic is normally way too sensitive due to the relatively low volume I play at, so I can often accidentally activate by coughing at the wrong moment. My concern now is that Harmonix will assume that this problem is resolved and do no further work on fixing it.
It only does it if the place you activate is within an od window. (And it MIGHT have something to do with how close you are to a word, just like pause, but I havent tested much) If you activate within a hair on me enamora it will cancel out that phrase.

I've also noticed that my normal vocal activation methods dont work well anymore - using a low voice and a growl, so I tried the old way (the high pitch whoop) which actually worked better. I wonder if they put it back in light of the select button method.
bclare  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0bd0g wrote:
I'd prefer to be able to press a button to activate, but, I'm on Wii. My main concern here is that it puts the Wii at a huge disadvantage. Any Wii vocalists in the leagues should just drop out now, and save themselves a ton of headaches. And in band, there's going to be the occasional FRS, AS, or PB that would be impractical to perform on Wii, in the online setting.

Just like every other cross-platform game, Wii is at a disadvantage. One of the many reasons I switched to xbox.
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
r0bd0g wrote:

Just like every other cross-platform game, Wii is at a disadvantage. One of the many reasons I switched to xbox.

Sadly Wii owners know what they are getting their selves into. Nothing SH can do about it =-\.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
LucasPWNS8907  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i can say to this is it's about time! it took them 5 games to implement this, something guitar hero vocalists have had the luxary of since day 1 (although those engines are by no means flawless).
i do feel bad for the people that squeezed the hell out of songs on rb3 with the old method because you can activate later or as late very simply now. at this point it all comes down to actual squeezing and not just activating.
on another note, some of my rb2 paths came back (since i never used pause button activating) which i'm very happy about but i imagine there may be a few other paths that change. for example, on "are you dead yet" there's an easier optimal due to a reverse squeeze that wasn't possible on the other engines because no matter what you did you couldn't shoot off the OD any earlier (new path is 5/RS! 2/ if anyone wants to try it),
now, if only we could get rid of the 99% glitch...

EDIT: path is 5/RS! 2/AS yielding 4k higher than old first place with 4/sk1-ES 3/
i didn't think the AS was possible but upon further inspection (i was recording a video run so people could see this path) i ended up squeezing it out. i'll post video with accompanying path in the path thread
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LucasPWNS8907 PSN Name: TheyCallMeLucas
Nimmy  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested on Space Oddity (2/PB 2/) and the back/select button works well, you don't need to do the PB trick anymore. That's great, and maybe significant for multiplayer..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: