FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New to drumming, need advice on what to work on
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't read through the whole thread yet so i dont know if these has been mentioned, but warming up is a really good idea (doing like hand excercises). I used to not warm up at all on drums then i started warming up any time i would drum and its MILES better. Real drummers do it and so should RB drummers.

I usually spend a few minutes doing excercises like stretching down and touching your toes (helps with calf muscle for bass pedal) and then taking turns holding my legs out with the knee straight (i cant think of a better way to describe it, if your doing it ight youll feel a little tension on your calf muscle briefly. I almost never have problems with my calf muscles (which sometimes would burn and hurt if i jumped into a lot of bass to fast).

Then for my hands i push my thumb back (away from your open palm) and hold my arms straight palm-to palm level with my body and push gently (REMEMBER never do something that feels like it hurts, you want to warm up your muscles, not damage them) and swing my arms in circular motions (loosen up shoulders though most drumming should be in the wrist).

Then right before the song starts i usually try hitting the pads a little bit and doing the bass pedal at a slow steady tempo, try some light drum rolling and maybe a few quick rhythms.

IT HELPS SO MUCH and any real-life drummer will tell you warming up is important especially if you plan on doing a lot of drumming. My routine probably isnt the best, but many of the exercises i do I've picked up from published drummers and people ive attended drum clinics of so its some stuff im throwing out there that i hope will help.

Beyond warming up i find that especially if your doing easier songs try maing up your own fills every chance (it helps develop a style if u want drum later in real life, which is what happened to me, but more importantly its practice for just doing fills and rudiments naturally). a lot of the time ill remember crazy fills i cant hit but when i play other songs i remember to work on them.

Sleepwalker is a song that I found helpful for working on steady bass pedal and fills, and akward bass pedal beats rush is also good at an early stage (working man and camera eye are good for buzz rolls, tom sawyer is good for constant semi-fast right hand work). I've found subdivisions has some patterns not seen that much (from my experience) and has some variety among patterns.

I hope this helps and i havent accidentally rehashed already mentioned stuff.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: