FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New to drumming, need advice on what to work on
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextneilpeart95 wrote:

A fun song played by a douche of a drummer.....

If you're talking about him DT, I highly suggest you actually know all the facts before ever commenting on it again.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Quazifuji  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaosSyn wrote:
Alright guys i updated the list again, but i'm thinking about maybe changing the color of the song names depending on its game so other people that want to use this list can use the songs that apply to them. Also, can you guys look over the bolded songs and tell me if they're in the correct order (from easiest to hardest)? Thanks again for everyone's help!

EDIT: oh and can someone please tell me the secret to calibrating stupid rb3? I'm still playing rb2 since i can't find the calibration that works for 3. :/

Give it All is probably in the right spot and I think the punk/thrash beats are in the right order. For the last category, I'd probably order it Caprici, Laid to Rest, Colony of Birchmen, Constant Motion, Sleepwalker, Love Spreads, but that one's trickier to rank because it involves different skills so some people might be better at some songs than others.

Actually, now that you have RB3, if you want an easier song to practice polyrhythms on I'd probably say skip Caprici (which isn't too interesting on drums besides being one of the easier polyrhythm songs) and practice the part in Bohemian Rhapsody after the weird fast opera part, which has the same beat but you already have it on disc.
chaosSyn  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quazifuji wrote:
chaosSyn wrote:
Alright guys i updated the list again, but i'm thinking about maybe changing the color of the song names depending on its game so other people that want to use this list can use the songs that apply to them. Also, can you guys look over the bolded songs and tell me if they're in the correct order (from easiest to hardest)? Thanks again for everyone's help!

EDIT: oh and can someone please tell me the secret to calibrating stupid rb3? I'm still playing rb2 since i can't find the calibration that works for 3. :/

Give it All is probably in the right spot and I think the punk/thrash beats are in the right order. For the last category, I'd probably order it Caprici, Laid to Rest, Colony of Birchmen, Constant Motion, Sleepwalker, Love Spreads, but that one's trickier to rank because it involves different skills so some people might be better at some songs than others.

Actually, now that you have RB3, if you want an easier song to practice polyrhythms on I'd probably say skip Caprici (which isn't too interesting on drums besides being one of the easier polyrhythm songs) and practice the part in Bohemian Rhapsody after the weird fast opera part, which has the same beat but you already have it on disc.

So should i take that category and split it up depending on what it is the song is gonna be used for?
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
nextneilpeart95 wrote:

A fun song played by a douche of a drummer.....

If you're talking about him DT, I highly suggest you actually know all the facts before ever commenting on it again.

What, Portnoy is a dick. He dissed AC/DC and Led Zeppelin's drummers in one of his videos, despite the fact he can't play like eitther of those drummers. Look, in terms of plastic drums he's fine, but he pisses me off otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Rudd is an incredibly boring drummer, did you buy the AC/DC track pack? It was the least fun, most repetitive bunch of songs I ever played, as for Led Zeppelin, he was much better, but I would say that Portnoy kinda has the right to brag, he IS the 2nd youngest drummer to ever be inducted into the hall of fame...[/i]
gladiators16  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FinalSunrise wrote:
Phil Rudd is an incredibly boring drummer, did you buy the AC/DC track pack? It was the least fun, most repetitive bunch of songs I ever played, as for Led Zeppelin, he was much better, but I would say that Portnoy kinda has the right to brag, he IS the 2nd youngest drummer to ever be inducted into the hall of fame...[/i]
This gentleman speaks of the truth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextneilpeart95 wrote:

What, Portnoy is a dick. He dissed AC/DC and Led Zeppelin's drummers in one of his videos, despite the fact he can't play like eitther of those drummers. Look, in terms of plastic drums he's fine, but he pisses me off otherwise.

First off, Phil Rudd is a god awful drummer, secondly I highly doubted he truly dissed him.

Secondly, show me this video where he disses Bonham. Im pretty damn certain you're just jumping to conclusions and mis-interpreting things being said.

For the love of god, Portnoy started an entire cover band dedicated to Bonham and Zeppelin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRYgMSA343s
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Quazifuji  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaosSyn wrote:

So should i take that category and split it up depending on what it is the song is gonna be used for?

You could probably give polyrhythms their own category, but I'm not sure if I'd worry about it too much. Rather than focusing on laying out a bunch of different categories, I'd probably just play songs you like at the edge of your ability (i.e. hard enough that they give good practice but not so hard that you're flailing at the kit and not learning anything), and then when you find a particular song or beat you have trouble with and want to work on then go and look for easier songs like it. In the end, no matter what sort of regimen you have set up for yourself, time is going to be the main factor in getting better.

Anyway, I'll also say that my earlier speculation that Lindisfarne might be a good song to try blast beats on is true. If you're looking for some relatively slow blast beats to try and you like black metal, I'd recommend checking it out. Battlesoul is another one, if you like thrashy folk metal (or folky thrash, I'm not sure which it would be). I know Lindisfarne's only 80 points, I think Battlesoul might be too.
DarthFizz  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't listen to Dream Theater much anymore since they didn't except Portnoy back into the band. Playing 30+ minute songs on drums should give him every right to have a break tbh.

I definitely agree that Constant Motion is a great song to practice on for the intermediate+ rock band drummers. It's fun as hell too. :3

My Accomplishments (Contains My Wiki, Days to Remember, and other major accomplishments!)
HerbieHero wrote:
If only there were a like button for ScoreHero posts...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
nextneilpeart95 wrote:

First off, Phil Rudd is a god awful drummer, secondly I highly doubted he truly dissed him.

Secondly, show me this video where he disses Bonham. Im pretty damn certain you're just jumping to conclusions and mis-interpreting things being said.

For the love of god, Portnoy started an entire cover band dedicated to Bonham and Zeppelin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRYgMSA343s

Noticed how I never insulted his playing. Also, Phil Rudd isn't awful, you try playing 4 on the floor beats with no breaKs for 10-15 minutes. You're literally just judging him on how he sounds in a game. feel is a big part of real drumming, and that is what makes Rudd good. Portnoy may be insane, but his feel is weak.

And on Zeppelin, my drum teacher told me that.

To be fair, The Dark eternal Night is probably my favorite metal/prog song ever. Portnoy is great, I just am saying he shouldn't go around dissing other drummers, nobody should.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guise, I think Thomas Haake is a good drummer

on topic, I.V. - X Japan is a great song to practice double bass patterns on. correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of the double bass in that song falls under independent doubles? I don't really know terminology. It also has a few challenging but not too complicated fills near the end.

Back off topic, I'm getting better at Llama apparently, I 4*d expert pro, so i'm sort of figuring it out now. Its exciting. I'm never playing it again once I 5* it though

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWvZIiBL1UA

My attempt to clear up this whole argument I started about Portnoy, please express your sadness there

And now back on topic:

Foreplay/Long Time and Detroit Rock City both will help you with triplet rolls. Additionally, Foreplay also has some rhythmns to help strengthen your left hand. (Those puhpuhduhs as I believe they are referred to as)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextneilpeart95 wrote:
[

Noticed how I never insulted his playing. Also, Phil Rudd isn't awful, you try playing 4 on the floor beats with no breaKs for 10-15 minutes. You're literally just judging him on how he sounds in a game. feel is a big part of real drumming, and that is what makes Rudd good. Portnoy may be insane, but his feel is weak.

To be fair, The Dark eternal Night is probably my favorite metal/prog song ever. Portnoy is great, I just am saying he shouldn't go around dissing other drummers, nobody should.

Playing 4 on the floor beats with no breaks for 25-30 minutes is technically something you should be doing every day for rudiments if you're playing real drums. There is so much you could do with an AC/DC song in terms of rhythm and percussion And what did Phil Rudd do? Something that someone who has played drums for a few months can do.

Secondly, listen to When the Water Breaks and tell me Portnoy has no feel. There's a reason why this guy is the most highly decorated drummer of the past 20 years, both by fellow musicians and critically (though there are definitely many drummers out there who I would say are better).

Thirdly, your drum teacher is an infallible source of all knowledge huh? As someone who has personally met, and talked to Portnoy I can tell you he is far and away the nicest and most down to earth musician I've ever met. He has not dissed a single drummer in over 10 years.

And before that he's not really accountable for due to the fact that he was fall down drunk 24/7. Hell he even called Peart an over-rated jackass in one interview back in '98. Whom he also lists as his main inspiration and a close friend of his.

So if your drum teacher says he dissed Bonham it is 1. Back before he was sober. or 2. He's just BS'ing you, which is just as likely.

And finally, While the Dark Eternal Night is a pretty good metal song, I won't even go into the ramifications of calling it one of the best prog songs.

Anyway for on topic I'd suggest getting some Jimi Hendrix songs like Fire (for faster off beat rhythms) and Purple Haze (for just odd rhythms). Both are extremely good for limb independence, speed, and so on.
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
nextneilpeart95 wrote:
[

Playing 4 on the floor beats with no breaks for 25-30 minutes is technically something you should be doing every day for rudiments if you're playing real drums. There is so much you could do with an AC/DC song in terms of rhythm and percussion And what did Phil Rudd do? Something that someone who has played drums for a few months can do.

Secondly, listen to When the Water Breaks and tell me Portnoy has no feel. There's a reason why this guy is the most highly decorated drummer of the past 20 years, both by fellow musicians and critically (though there are definitely many drummers out there who I would say are better).

Thirdly, your drum teacher is an infallible source of all knowledge huh? As someone who has personally met, and talked to Portnoy I can tell you he is far and away the nicest and most down to earth musician I've ever met. He has not dissed a single drummer in over 10 years.

And before that he's not really accountable for due to the fact that he was fall down drunk 24/7. Hell he even called Peart an over-rated jackass in one interview back in '98. Whom he also lists as his main inspiration and a close friend of his.

So if your drum teacher says he dissed Bonham it is 1. Back before he was sober. or 2. He's just BS'ing you, which is just as likely.

And finally, While the Dark Eternal Night is a pretty good metal song, I won't even go into the ramifications of calling it one of the best prog songs.

Anyway for on topic I'd suggest getting some Jimi Hendrix songs like Fire (for faster off beat rhythms) and Purple Haze (for just odd rhythms). Both are extremely good for limb independence, speed, and so on.

He said it was in a video he got as a teen (he's thirty now), so probably one of firsts. also, I didn't know you met the guy . And to be fair, I do enjoy DT quite a bit. Just don't call Phil Rudd terrible. He play's for band that's overly repetetive (My friend told me they use the same 3 chords for a chunk of their riffs, and he has been playing Guitar since he was 7). He still has nothing on Portnoy or Peart or Bonham. but yeah, let's seal this argument here. I admit defeat. I was wrong.

On topic, Kids in America is a great song for really fast fills and rolls. The rolls also majorily begin on double notes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, and ya I ran into him after one of his drum clinics out in New York in '04. And I'll back down about Rudd, guess I've just been in the Prog world too long where the simplest stuff is well beyond normal standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: