FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New to drumming, need advice on what to work on
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosSyn  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: New to drumming, need advice on what to work on Reply with quote

EDITED 1/6/2011:

I'd like to start by thanking everyone who's willing to read this and give me a hand.

I started playing guitar hero right after guitar hero 2 came out but i grew bored of the guitar a while back and decided to recently pick up the drums. So i do have some experience with GH/RB but not much with drums so please excuse any noob questions i ask.

Ok so i've been searching on the forums for a while now and I came across this list that seemed pretty helpful with things to work on and what songs to play to do so, so can anyone vouch for whats said?

Quote:
From an old thread, someone had a list of songs that use different skills. I have it saved on my computer, but can't remember who came up with it and I can't claim credit for it. But here is a list of songs to play to develop different skills, from the easiest song to the hardest in each skill:

-Basic kick training:
New Kid in School
Learn to Fly
Mississippi Queen
Maps
We Got the Beat
Drain You

-Basic speed and endurance training:
Alabama Getaway
Alex Chilton
Blitzkrieg Bop
Electric Version
Let There Be Rock
Uncontrollable Urge
Welcome to the Neighborhood
Bad Reputation
Ramblin' Man (not as fast as the ones above but the pattern makes it more difficult)
I Can See For Miles (Quazifuji)

-Basic natural sticking:
Pretend We're Dead
De-Luxe
The Hand That Feeds
Orange Crush
Crazy Train (Quazifuji)
The Killing Moon (Quazifuji)
Whip It (Quazifuji)

-Alternating bass and (usually snare) hits:
Rebel Girl
Wave of Mutilation (Hard)
Here It Goes Again
Reptilia (Hard)
Dead on Arrival

-Tempo changes:
Nightmare (intro)
I Get By (middle)
Feel the Pain

-Swing rhythm:
Nine in the Afternoon
Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Spirit in the Sky
Flirtin' With Disaster
Detroit Rock City
Bodhisattva
Rob the Prez-O-Dent
Radar Love (Quazifuji)

-Double kick independence:
Creep
Dani California
Man in the Box
Nightmare
Tom Sawyer
Give It All (nextneilpeart95)

-Rhythm practice:
Vasoline
A Jagged Gorgeous Winter
Siva

-Off-beat kicks:
Our Truth
Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld
March of the Pigs
Ace of Spades '08

-Three kicks in a row at speed:
We Got The Beat
Paranoid
(Don't Fear) The Reaper
Next to You
Painkiller

-Natural sticking with difficult bass pattern (3x limb independence):
E-Pro
I Get By (intro)
Outside

-Punk/Thrash Beat:
Here We Go Again
Sorrow (Quazifuji)
Hammerhead (Quazifuji)
All I Want (HomelessCarl)
Battery (nextneilpeart95)
[b]Caught In A Mosh (Quazifuji)

-Hard stuff with multiple categories:
Laid to Rest (Quazifuji)
Caprici di Diablo (Quazifuji)
Sleepwalker (HomelessCarl)
Colony of Birchmen (TheWertle, nextneilpeart95)
Love Spreads (Nubnut)
Constant Motion (Nubnut)
25 or 6 to 4 (Quazifuji)
Beast and the Harlot (Quazifuji)

I'm not 100% if this stuff would really be what needs to be worked on and if this is all that should be addressed, but all that i saw on here is stuff i'm struggling with. Now before suggestions and/or comments are made on this please note that i only have
-Rock Band 1
-Rock Band 2
-Rock Band 3
-Free 20 songs
-AC/DC Track Pack
-Metal Track Pack
So if you're going to suggest songs for me to play to work on certain things please try to make sure that the song is one that i have before making the suggestion. If it's really THAT important make your argument why and i'll probably buy it.

There are a couple of other things that i know that i need to work on but i'm not sure if i should worry about that yet. This things include, and please don't hold against me if i don't know the name or i use the wrong one, Thrash beats (like in Blinded by Fear, basically the whole song), basically any and all Nirvana songs (the off beat bass pedal stuff just kills me), and blast beats (although i'm sure that's VERY advanced for the level i'm at currently).

If you've read this far and you can offer me any feedback Thank you very much. I don't have an enormous amount of time to dedicate to this since i have school/work/family/etc to take care of before i can do this so i know that i won't get extremely good very fast but i'd like to maximize my time. So, thank you again, and if you need any info from me let me know and i'll supply it.

Last edited by chaosSyn on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
11yearoldkid  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start off this is what I would do: Unlock all the songs, then play them from top to bottom and see what songs you need to work on. Then work on those songs constantly until you are crazy good on them....possibly even an FC And no matter how good/bad you are, I would recommend making an Accomplishment thread and getting into rivalries and leagues (S12 leagues YEAH!!!!). It really does motivate you to do better. But above all, always strive to do better.

TEN THOUSANNNNNNND!
My life.
Steadysphere  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at your list of games, I'd say start with RB1, which is probably the easiest game on drums. If you can, though, export RB1 to RB2 because trying to drum with the RB1 engine is frustrating. Just work through the songs tier by tier, and as you get better at the harder songs, you should be able to master (FC) the lower songs.

Don't worry about Thrash beats and Blast Beats yet, those are very advanced techniques that even some Pro drummers can't do yet. As for Nirvana, don't try Stay Away or Territorial Pissings yet, as they are both very difficult, but work your way through the easier songs.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play. Just play a lot and you'll get pretty good in no time. Try to get some easy fcs to start off and practice the parts that you have trouble with. It all just comes down to playing to get better .

7:49 sokushi: the Guitarist is a chick
7:49 LEEMcBAM: I like chicks 8)
7:49 IAmTehWalrus: how do you know?
7:49 sokushi: she keeps missing
chaosSyn  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To start off this is what I would do: Unlock all the songs, then play them from top to bottom and see what songs you need to work on. Then work on those songs constantly until you are crazy good on them....possibly even an FC And no matter how good/bad you are, I would recommend making an Accomplishment thread and getting into rivalries and leagues (S12 leagues YEAH!!!!). It really does motivate you to do better. But above all, always strive to do better.

I have already unlocked all the songs, but i have a lot of songs on rb2 so it takes a long time to play through them all. And i can pass almost all the songs up until the 2nd to last tier (forgot the name tho). Although i can beat some of those songs later on too. I'll look into the accomplishments stuff but the rivalry thing will probably have to come later on for me.

Quote:
Looking at your list of games, I'd say start with RB1, which is probably the easiest game on drums. If you can, though, export RB1 to RB2 because trying to drum with the RB1 engine is frustrating. Just work through the songs tier by tier, and as you get better at the harder songs, you should be able to master (FC) the lower songs.

Don't worry about Thrash beats and Blast Beats yet, those are very advanced techniques that even some Pro drummers can't do yet. As for Nirvana, don't try Stay Away or Territorial Pissings yet, as they are both very difficult, but work your way through the easier songs.

Hope this helps

I'm way ahead of you on the exporting thing. i've exported rb1, and my 2 track packs. I can't stand playing any instruments on rb1 since there's no breakneck speed. One of my friends who's pretty decent at drums only worked on the last 2 tiers of songs and he said that really helped him get good, but idk if i'll do that. I'll probably work on the lower songs first. The only reason i wanna work on thrash beats and blast beats is because i LOVE fast songs, especially metal songs, and fast songs (which have either blast beats, thrash beats, or even both) but i guess that'll have to wait. I can't even pass ANY of the nirvana songs because of the offbeat bass patterns (I don't really know what the name is, but it's the pattern where you have a bass note and THEN cymbal/snare/etc). Any suggestions for songs to work on that?

Quote:
Play. Just play a lot and you'll get pretty good in no time. Try to get some easy fcs to start off and practice the parts that you have trouble with. It all just comes down to playing to get better .

Yea i figured that skill is reasonably relevant to time played just like when i played guitar. The weeks where i played 6+ hours a day i saw way bigger improvements then when i didn't play much. But since i can't commit that much time (maybe a few hours a day) i wanted to get a more specific set of songs and/or sections to work on (and in order of noob to advanced) so that i can maximize my limited time and see the biggest improvements so i can get to the songs that i enjoy listening to and want to play (WAHNTHAC, this calling, blinded by fear, etc).

Thank you everybody for your help and advice! I really appreciate it! Also i don't have a big problem with speed (i actually passed Are You Dead Yet? on expert after only 4 tries yesterday) but technical stuff gives me a lot of problems (i consider that to be songs like any nirvana song, that's what you get because of the off beat patterns, and stuff like e-pro).
TheWertle  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really it just comes down to practice. Play songs a little beyond your ability, figure out what parts you just can't combo, pull up practice mode and play the section slowed down on repeat until you start to naturally understand what the pattern is, then gradually speed it up until you're so comfortable playing it that you forget why you ever had a problem in the first place.

As an aside, I'm pretty good at drums I think (Expert pro 98% Panic Attack and Painkiller) but I've only ever played fake drums (RB/GH/Drummania) and I know next to nothing about terminology that gets tossed around here all the time. I have no idea what thrash beats or blast beats are, could someone explain?

Also I'm no good at twirling my sticks like my in game character :p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWertle wrote:
Really it just comes down to practice. Play songs a little beyond your ability, figure out what parts you just can't combo, pull up practice mode and play the section slowed down on repeat until you start to naturally understand what the pattern is, then gradually speed it up until you're so comfortable playing it that you forget why you ever had a problem in the first place.

As an aside, I'm pretty good at drums I think (Expert pro 98% Panic Attack and Painkiller) but I've only ever played fake drums (RB/GH/Drummania) and I know next to nothing about terminology that gets tossed around here all the time. I have no idea what thrash beats or blast beats are, could someone explain?

Also I'm no good at twirling my sticks like my in game character :p

well i know what specific things I need to work on, which is basically all the stuff i've listed, but i was hoping for some specific sections and/or other songs that would fall under that category. From there i was planning on going to specific sections of songs that are challenging for me and working on those sections.

And blast beats are described as this by wikipedia:
Quote:
Blast beats are made with rapid alternating or coinciding strokes primarily on the bass and snare drum.

For a rock band reference watch the drums during the guitar solo of "what a horrible night to have a curse". The alternating Red/Blue with the bass pedal on the Blue is a blast beat.

As for thrash beats i found this video that describes what a thrash beat is. hopefully it'll answer some of your questions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4edm4XDwzs&playnext=1&list=PLABCAC19D805BC1BD&index=6[/quote]
TheWertle  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i understand thrash beats now thanks, but are blast beats like in Visions with the onslaught of RG jacks or like in Battery with the OG RG OG RG? or neither of those?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWertle wrote:
I think i understand thrash beats now thanks, but are blast beats like in Visions with the onslaught of RG jacks or like in Battery with the OG RG OG RG? or neither of those?

Visions is something called a gravity blast, and Battery is more like a thrash beat than anything. Definitely not a blast. Regular blast beats are usually OB R OB R OB or OY R OY R OY.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWertle wrote:

Blast beats are the part in this video after he activates overdrive (around 9 secs or so)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcyJCfuzNoY
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EinsteinSL wrote:
TheWertle wrote:

Visions is something called a gravity blast, and Battery is more like a thrash beat than anything. Definitely not a blast. Regular blast beats are usually OB R OB R OB or OY R OY R OY.

Battery is definitely a thrash beat, just on the green pad instead of the yellow.

There are different varieties of blast beats. "Alternating Blasts" are like the ones just described, where you alternate between hitting the snare and hitting a cymbal/kick pedal.

Simultaneous blasts are found in songs like Visions, Embedded, and Hammer Smashed Face, where you hit a cymbal, the snare, and the kick at the same time.

Gravity blasts are an incredibly specialized technique designed to essentially do a one-handed drum roll, and they're not even worth getting into here since they can't be played on a RB drumkit. Depending on how they've been authored, they're usually undercharted to single-strokes (see the intro to Tastes Like Kevin Bacon) or have any snares simultaneous to the cymbals removed allowing them to be played as a two-handed roll (see Death Quota).

Anyways, enough of that. May I ask why you keep describing Nirvana songs as technical? I'm not saying they're all easy, but if you can pass Are You Dead Yet? then I'm surprised you have a lot of issues with Nirvana tracks (aside from Stay Away. Those extended rolls are just batshit insane).
EinsteinSL  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Machete for some reason i always think of Visions as a gravity blast. Also the video chaosSyn posted above for thrash beats isn't a good example, the guy in the video was playing 8ths on the cymbals and snare instead of 16ths on cymbals and 8ths on snare like most thrash beats.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks.

I think that mastadon song from RB2 is a good song to practice a lot of different techniques

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for all of your blast information. I didn't know there were different types of blasts.

Quote:
Anyways, enough of that. May I ask why you keep describing Nirvana songs as technical? I'm not saying they're all easy, but if you can pass Are You Dead Yet? then I'm surprised you have a lot of issues with Nirvana tracks (aside from Stay Away. Those extended rolls are just batshit insane).

The reason i can't pass any nirvana songs is because i can't do the offbeat bass pedal. I can do it a little bit if it has the red devil (i believe that's the name of the song) pattern/tempo to it. But the nirvana songs i have are all severe off beat patterns. :/
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWertle wrote:
cool thanks.

I think that mastadon song from RB2 is a good song to practice a lot of different techniques

This is very true, constant bass, triplet rolls, rolls in general, limb indepence etc. etc.

Also before getting into thrash beats I suggest you start out with slow punk beats (Which in rock band are the exact same as thrash beats since there's no double bass, but they're generally also slower). For example play something like Here We go Again and then work your way up from there in terms of spee.

The fastest you'll generally need to go for Thrash beats is about Aesthetics of Hate speed, though there are songs like Hammer Smashed Face and Blinded By fear that do go faster, but you don't need to worry about those for a long time.

Also on a final note, don't worry about blasts for a long time to come, you won't find them except for in the hardest songs. And while simultaneous blasts can be difficult, IMO alternate blasts are far and away the hardest thing in the game to hit. I can hit extremely technical stuff like the funky left hand part in Obfuscation, and I still can't pass Curse you all Men, so don't worry if you suck at blasts for a while, cause even after multiple years of real drumming and rock band drumming i still do.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: