FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oddities regarding the RB 3 engine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Oddities regarding the RB 3 engine Reply with quote

I was just curious if anyone knows what exactly they've changed regarding the RB 3 engine for drums.

Originally I thought they had just made the timing window for rolls extremely tight (I kept missing one of the three rolls in 29 fingers for gods sake). And then later in the day was playing We are the Nightmare and hitting some of the rolls....

So what the hell is going on?
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing that happens in every game. Calibration issues and new visuals to adjust to. Threads like these pop up all the time and the answer is always the same.
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a CRT.

my calibration is, and always has been 0/0 on every game, even after doing it manually multiple times, it still is 0/0.

Secondly visuals don't exactly explain how someone on the RB 2 engine who could FC a good deal of harder songs, all of a sudden can't hit one of the easiest songs in the game. And at the same time can all of a sudden hit some of the hardest fills in the game.

And i know im not the only one who thinks the timing windows are weird (hence VD0G still FC'ing everything on RB 2 due to a "broken roll engine").
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's calibration. Several people with CRTs have added 20 something to both numbers (forget if its positive or negative) and have noticed dramatic positive results. While I autocalibrated, I'm on a CRT and got numbers in the 20-30s for both. The first and usually the most accurate answer to engine issues in RB3 is almost always calibration. That goes for any TV.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing RB3 for a while and switching to RB2, I found them to be pretty much the same engine wise at least on drums, but visually I prefer RB2 a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
I play on a CRT.

my calibration is, and always has been 0/0 on every game, even after doing it manually multiple times, it still is 0/0.

Secondly visuals don't exactly explain how someone on the RB 2 engine who could FC a good deal of harder songs, all of a sudden can't hit one of the easiest songs in the game. And at the same time can all of a sudden hit some of the hardest fills in the game.

And i know im not the only one who thinks the timing windows are weird (hence VD0G still FC'ing everything on RB 2 due to a "broken roll engine").

I also play on a CRT, and my calibration has always been 0/0 or close to it. In RB3 it is 35/20. The visuals suck and the fretboard is angled different. It is a combination of visuals and calibration. I consider myself to be pretty decent at drums and i also couldn't fc some rather easy songs until i found a good calibration. Even being 5ms off made a huge difference. And although some people are going back to RB2 because they think RB3 is broken, take a look at Gladiators. He thinks RB3 is EASIER than RB2, and is proving it with some beastly playing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just calibrated, and the audio was indeed at -25, strangely though the video was at -1. Though i do play largely by ear, so time to test and see if it made a difference.

EDIT: Well it wasn't any better. Bumped it up to +10 on the video though and I just almost GS'ed RttH.

So now my question is, why is this the first rhythm game that I've ever had to calibrate on CRTV?
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if other people experience this problem to the degree that I do, but I seem to have a very hard time hitting 13.5+ NPS rolls on RB3's engine. Adding to the weirdness, it seems even more apparent on BNS than Normal track speed. That's kind of the reason why I haven't FCed Beast and the Harlot yet: It's full of those kinds of rolls and I keep missing them, even when I'm sure that I should have FCed them. I can tolerate the freestyle drum rolls since I know how to hit them now for the most part, but the rolls that exceed Dead on Arrival speed just piss me off severely in this engine.

And I know this doesn't affect gameplay, but visually, I prefer RB2. RB3's look just seems sterile; the bass drums don't affect the track, the solo counter doesn't move along with the notes, and it just doesn't look as sharp in general. I even tried comparing SD with HD on YouTube, and the difference is practically indistinguishable, especially compared to how clear the quality difference is in RB2.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
Tagrineth  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
So now my question is, why is this the first rhythm game that I've ever had to calibrate on CRTV?

RB1 and RB2 were the first ones for many people, too.

I blame the TVs.

My goals:
Put an X in this box: []
*loves dragons*
stuff i've done, insanely out of date
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagrineth wrote:
Nubnut wrote:

RB1 and RB2 were the first ones for many people, too.

I blame the TVs.

I actually blame the programming. I think these newer games (GDRB, TBRB for some, and now RB3) are more geared to work on HDTVs, so the programming is very unstable. I don't believe for a second that even HDTV's have enough lag to make your calibration numbers reach more than 20ms, so for me to have to calibrate at 35ms audio tells me their programming is in such a way that the game is causing video delay. It really sucks that they couldn't pay more attention to this, as it does affect casual gamers too. I guess this game was just more of a "Fuck Off" to the hardcore crowd. They were probably tired of hearing our whining and bitching so in their minds said "Fine, we can't make you happy, and we don't need you so FUCK OFF"
Pas26  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRTs do need calibration for the timing window to be perfectly centered, and even then because of the way rolls and such work you have to add 20ish ms to center the timing window in these conditions. CRTs DO have lag, even if the lag only comes from the instruments.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the suggested calibration numbers that I took from the manuals of RB2 and RB3. (With the numbers on the left being audio and the right being video).

RB2
LCD 1 60 30
LCD 2 5 50
CRT 0 0
DLP 80 60
Rear 5 30
Projection
Plasma 50 50

RB3
LCD 1 80 50
LCD 2 15 30
CRT 0 0
DLP 15 60
Rear 5 50
Projection
Plasma 50 50

You can see that there are lots of changes between the numbers. So what I did was, take my RB2 numbers, and change them according to how they changed between the manuals. So my calibration was 60 and 30 in RB2 conveniently, and in RB3, for the same LCD TV one, both the audio and video numbers increased by 20, so that's what I did to my RB2 numbers, and got 80 and 50 in RB3, like the manual suggests. If you have an LCD TV but it's closer to the LCD 2 number than it is to the LCD 1, change your RB2 number by how much those two numbers changed. For example, if it was 20 and 30 in RB2, it would be 30 and 10 in RB3.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProffessorJoe wrote:
I actually blame the programming. I think these newer games (GDRB, TBRB for some, and now RB3) are more geared to work on HDTVs, so the programming is very unstable. I don't believe for a second that even HDTV's have enough lag to make your calibration numbers reach more than 20ms, so for me to have to calibrate at 35ms audio tells me their programming is in such a way that the game is causing video delay. It really sucks that they couldn't pay more attention to this, as it does affect casual gamers too. I guess this game was just more of a "Fuck Off" to the hardcore crowd. They were probably tired of hearing our whining and bitching so in their minds said "Fine, we can't make you happy, and we don't need you so FUCK OFF"

I have trouble accepting the premise that Harmonix made a game and intentionally were lazy just because they knew it would piss you off. You are not the world Joe. A lot of people are unhappy with RB3 calibration, a lot of people are unhappy with it. I think if HMX were intentionally trying to piss people off, as you claim, then they haven't done a very good job of it on the whole.
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally play on CRT, but I haven't had calibration issues with RB3. In fact, I had more issues with RB2. Still, I think part of it may be that they spent 2 years building a new engine and then didn't do any of the calibration until the final stages of programming. I'd agree with Joe in saying that these games are more geared for HDTVs because other music games have had such difficulty in terms of such calibration and the fact that HDTVs have caught on and are extremely abundant.

Still, I like the new engine quite a bit, though I know quite a few drummers beg to differ. To me, it seems that RB3 helps Guitarists a whole lot but screws us drummers over

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
ProffessorJoe wrote:

I have trouble accepting the premise that Harmonix made a game and intentionally were lazy just because they knew it would piss you off. You are not the world Joe. A lot of people are unhappy with RB3 calibration, a lot of people are unhappy with it. I think if HMX were intentionally trying to piss people off, as you claim, then they haven't done a very good job of it on the whole.

The end of the post was a joke.

Also, HDTV lag can EASILY get above 60ms. I cannot play on my HDTV because the lag just make sit impossible to play. BTW fixing lag does not REALLY fix the lag; the note will still explode late after you hit the strumbar even if your calibration is perfect while playing on an HDTV, howver, it's going to explode directly on the blast line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: