FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My Impressions of the Squier (Warning: Many Pictures)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricecake wrote:
[If you are interested in using the MIDI functionality, this would probably be a good buy too, since apparently MIDI guitars tend to be pretty expensive by themselves.

I was under the impression that the Squier had no actual MIDI functionality as far as recording and computer use go, only for use in-game, and that the Mustang does. Does the Squier have a MIDI out that you can use in programs that record in MIDI like the Mustang? I was just about to get the Mustang for that purpose, but if it's the other way around I need to know. I have a Squier guitar but am actually a bassist and another cheap guitar isn't really necessary unless it also does MIDI.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyCherub wrote:
ricecake wrote:
[If you are interested in using the MIDI functionality, this would probably be a good buy too, since apparently MIDI guitars tend to be pretty expensive by themselves.

I was under the impression that the Squier had no actual MIDI functionality as far as recording and computer use go, only for use in-game, and that the Mustang does. Does the Squier have a MIDI out that you can use in programs that record in MIDI like the Mustang? I was just about to get the Mustang for that purpose, but if it's the other way around I need to know. I have a Squier guitar but am actually a bassist and another cheap guitar isn't really necessary unless it also does MIDI.

I can field this one:

The Squier is indeed MIDI. That's how it gets into the game. It outputs via a standard 5-pin MIDI to the MadCatz MIDI PRO Adapter (which you obviously also need in order to use the Squier in RB3), which then translates it to gaming inputs. Naturally, you can also use the MIDI out to plug the Squier into a computer or other MIDI capable receivers.

So the Squier has both MIDI out and the standard 1/4" stereo jack output for your amp.
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbrtRetryIgnore wrote:
The Squier is indeed MIDI. That's how it gets into the game. It outputs via a standard 5-pin MIDI to the MadCatz MIDI PRO Adapter (which you obviously also need in order to use the Squier in RB3), which then translates it to gaming inputs. Naturally, you can also use the MIDI out to plug the Squier into a computer or other MIDI capable receivers.

So the Squier has both MIDI out and the standard 1/4" stereo jack output for your amp.

Ah, well that's cool. Based on the MadCatz press release the Mustang has full MIDI use as well, and I was sure I had read somewhere that only one did - that's really cool. I'll still end up getting the Mustang since it fits my needs better in the end, but I am happy to know that the Squier is such a cheap alternative for a MIDI guitar.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of MIDI functionality, have you hooked it up to a computer? I just wanted to see what the MIDI messages looked like. Thanks!
ricecake  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mikeyts: I'm not sure my bathroom scale will be good enough to measure the guitar, but I can try. I will look for the specs page in the manual for you.

@NavyCherub: AbrtRetryIgnore is correct. There were a couple good pages in the manual about the MIDI functionality. The tilt sensors control one signal, and there is also a synth mode where you can play notes without strumming. I don't really have any MIDI experience (and especially not with MIDI guitars) so I don't know if these features are standard.

@Ikedude: I don't have a MIDI input on my computer, nor do I have any DAW software, so I haven't connected it to my computer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the million dollars question (well $280):

Do you think it is worth it? I went to a best buy and the technology was very cool but I was only doing simple things and I was not able to play any songs on hard or expert (because I don't play guitar!). So I didn't get to stress the detection at all. I'm not obsessed over scores, I really don't care if I get 95% instead of 99% because the whole point is to learn guitar anyways. So how is it on those difficulty settings? Have there been any major flaws that have bothered you or is it mostly just minor things?
ricecake  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mikeyts: Sorry I haven't gotten around to weighing the guitar or getting those pages in the manual for you yet.

@DarkJon: I gave my opinion on whether or not it's worth it here. The main problems I'm having are with strum detection when there are a lot of chords. I find I have to start strumming really hard to get the game to detect them, though last night I found that if I do all downstrums instead of strumming up and down, it seems to work a bit better. However, this isn't necessarily practical for a lot of songs due to the speed. On the other hand, other than a few minor glitches, the fret detections seems to work pretty well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to put a preorder down for one today.
amnonliu  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an awesome catch. I can't believe you lucked out like that.

It is interesting to see how the frets are cut into 6 segments. The fingerboard must be like a circuit board to route all those. I thought they would isolate the saddles instead, so each string would be shorted to one of the frets. Instead, all of the strings are coupled. The way they did it seems more complicated. I am surprised they can keep the price down.

It would be really interesting to see what the MIDI code stream looks like. If you have a cheap keyboard with a MIDI in, I would plug it in to that and see what the keyboard thinks of the incoming codes. I wonder what sort of dynamics it records, if any, and if it says anything about which strings were sounded, or does it only send the fingering and the strum.

It seems like it could be a really cool midi controller, but I suspect it has just enough to handle the game stuff. Even so, I am sure I need one. I need to fly out to your best buy!

I bet that you could sell it for a pile on eBay. Trade it in for a nice new Gibson or something, and have enough left over to buy another Squire when the rest of us can.
LordTyrano  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amnonliu wrote:

I bet that you could sell it for a pile on eBay. Trade it in for a nice new Gibson or something, and have enough left over to buy another Squire when the rest of us can.

LOL

That is not a bad idea actually.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amnonliu wrote:
It is interesting to see how the frets are cut into 6 segments.

The frets aren't actually separated (though it kind of looks like that in the picture). If they were, you wouldn't be able to do bends without getting the strings caught between the frets. The fret is solid, but with little strips of (I assume) conductive material where the string would press down on it. If you just meant "electrically" cut, then yes

Quote:
It would be really interesting to see what the MIDI code stream looks like. If you have a cheap keyboard with a MIDI in, I would plug it in to that and see what the keyboard thinks of the incoming codes. I wonder what sort of dynamics it records, if any, and if it says anything about which strings were sounded, or does it only send the fingering and the strum.

It seems like it could be a really cool midi controller, but I suspect it has just enough to handle the game stuff. Even so, I am sure I need one. I need to fly out to your best buy!

I don't have any MIDI hardware other than the Squier and the MIDI adapter for the game. Otherwise, I would plug it into my computer to see what it's transmitting (and actually, someone on the official forums wanted me to do that to try and see what the SysEx messages look like). However, I've been meaning to post the MIDI guitar sections of the manual, since it seems like there's quite a good bit of functionality built into the guitar.

Quote:

LOL people at my work have suggested I do the same thing, but I would not sell this for the world. My officemate realized that if this thing were to go up on eBay, I would probably be one of the people bidding an exorbitant amount of money on it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: The Squier Reply with quote

Hi Ricecake,

First of all congrats on your early score of the Squier!
We still can't believe your luck!

Secondly I was wondering if you would be kind enough to add me as a friend on PSN - Snoops_nz

I'm from New Zealand and have been a huge fan of RB since it came out. I have RB3 and the keyboard, 2x Standard guitars and drums.
I'm saving for the Squier as I started learning guitar for about a year until the guitar I was learning on had to go back to its rightful home.

Thirdly I was wondering if it was possible if you could please do some videos on Youtube on how the guitar sounds through and amp (clean and with effects if you have any) We still don't have a release date for the Squier over here which is a shame

Happy rocking dude!

Cheers

Doug (Snoops_nz)
vermifax  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The frets aren't actually separated (though it kind of looks like that in the picture). If they were, you wouldn't be able to do bends without getting the strings caught between the frets. The fret is solid, but with little strips of (I assume) conductive material where the string would press down on it. If you just meant "electrically" cut, then yes

Do you feel the conductive material is a coating that could wear off? or is it actually the metal of the fret?
ricecake  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jb00784: I'll add you next time I'm online. Expect a friend request from ricecake138. Unfortunately I do not have a Youtube account so I can't upload videos. Maybe I should create one...

@vermifax: Someone else asked about the frets on the official forums. I told him I would double-check them tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricecake you so should create a youtube account its not hard at all would to get and hear the squier in action
Cheers for adding me btw

Snoops
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: