FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Charts Are Here!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarylZero  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: New Charts Are Here!!! Reply with quote

http://site.tmullin.net:81/ipather/
I'm ready for people to start using my site to get blank charts. You can select any instrument/difficulty combination (except harmonies).

Note the first time anyone accesses a given chart it will take a few extra seconds since the charts are generated on-demand.

Please report errors. Include the URL and copy/paste any error message.

I don't have quite all the DLC up there. If you can assist with that, PM me please.

I may add harmonies at some point, but wanted to get the main stuff working first.

original post about keys below
-----------------------------------

tl;dr
foolin' x keys
freebird x keys
Tell me how they look. Don't expect charts for everything right away, but it's in the works.

NOTE: any links to anything on my website, tmullin.net, are subject to change and should not be used for longterm reference as of yet.
--------------------------------

As you probably don't recall, I've been working on and off on a chart generator for quite some time now (orignal post from July 2009, and I had been working on it for who knows how long before that).

If you watch the video in that thread, you see my main goal is making an interactive pathing program, but before I can really put a lot more effort into that aspect, I need to be able to make blank charts in the first place.

I've been trying to replicate as closely as possible ajanata's RB charts (both visually and in score calculation) and I'm pretty excited about how well it's going. Guitar, bass, and drum charts mostly match ajanata's, some scores even match exactly while others seem to be within 100 points.

Since ajanata said he wouldn't be doing keys charts without a big rewrite of his program, I decided I wanted to tackle the task. I already had a lot of infrastructure built for my program with the end goal of making it interactive. This infrastructure also lets me make static PNGs of the charts rather easily.

Anyway, I'm not yet ready to fully unleash my charts but I created some samples of my keys charts for critique. I chose Foolin' and Free Bird because they both have extended sustains, which I think was the biggest challenge in making the charts work.

There are some details about extended sustain scoring that I have made assumptions about. In Foolin' measure 23, red has an extended sustain while the multiplier increases from 2x to 3x. The blue note in m23 is scored at 3x and I'm assuming the red sustain is still scored at 2x and doesn't change to 3x. I can't easily test this (I would need a clear video of an FC til the multiplier is 4x anyway without any OD use and go frame by frame...) (this assumption was easier to program the way my program is set up ;).

foolin' x keys
freebird x keys

Last edited by DarylZero on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
r0bd0g  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would kinda expect the old sustain to change to 3x as well, but I can't say for sure either. It'd certainly be less of a head-ache if it didn't, but here's a way to test: Try hitting the extended sustain earlier/later and see if you get a different amount of ticks depending on whether you hit it early or late? That's gonna be annoying to have to remember to do, if it does get you some extra ticks.

That said, these look great. Only thing that's weird is the very last line isn't drawn, lol. And can you get keys on guitar, too? It'd be nice to have the scores adjusted for sustains that get cut off, and to display the hopos.

And I'll definitely be using that pathing program if you get it out.
raunch99  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to try to help you out by testing that Foolin' sustain, but found something else. The 3x multiplier doesn't start until the red note in measure 25, not on the blue note in measure 23. I traced it down and it looks like the RB note in measure 14 only counts as a single note, not 2. Not really sure why, I've only played pro keys so far, but thought this might help you out.

For reference, I played the song through measure 24 and my score was 3382, not 3500 as your chart suggests. Good luck with your project.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raunch99, i was using http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gJFoViKftg as a reference vid for foolin since it's nice and clear.

on the very first note (RO) you can clearly see 2 wedges fill up in the multiplier circle, which is what seems to happen with drum chords. however for the RB chord in m14, the multiplier increases to 2x but there isn't an extra wedge, which is what i would expect if there were only one note instead of two there.

for comparison, i'm looking at freebird x drums, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib7M47txxqo, and my chart. the multipliers displayed on my chart seem to coincide correctly with the video.

basically i had assumed multiplier increases worked the same for keys as drums, which would seem to not be true at all.

in this heart of glass video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYP4KyAgjXE, you can see that all the 3 note chords only give 1 wedge.

so now i'm guessing that you get 2 wedges from the first note in foolin because the R and O notes are not the same length, but now i have to guess about a general case rule. this is difficult because you have to find a song that has extended sustains with chords while the multiplier is still increasing and i have to find a clear video on youtube of it.

Edit: i've updated the charts linked in my first post and the score in m24 matches what you got. so this still doesn't answer the question of when the multiplier changes during an extended sustain since that scenario doesn't actually occur in foolin. assuming the multipliers are now correct, it does appear to happen in m8 of freebird x keys, where the R note is at 3x.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i played through m8 in freebird and had 1878 points, implying the portion of the extended sustain after the multiplier changes to 3x is scored at 3x. before, assuming it was scored at 2x i calculated 1873 points. calculating for the change i come up with 1879 but actually playing i consistently got 1878.

i've updated the chart to reflect my new calculation with 1879. i don't really know where the 1 point is coming or going from but it seems like such a rare fringe case to have the multiplier increasing while an extended sustain is happening that 1 point is a reasonable margin of error :p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this earlier, but that 1 point could be from hitting that note just slightly late. If you hit it earlier, the multiplier turns to 3x earlier, so you get more of that extended sustain at 3x.
DarylZero  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, will have to try that.

i suppose the only other thing i can think of that i haven't seen an example of would be a 3 note chord where 2 of the gems were the same length and the 3rd was an extended sustain and a 3 note chord where each gem was a different length before the multiplier was 4x.

i.e. we know that a 2 note chord with extended sustain increases streak by 2
|-------------
|------

don't know about
|-------------
|-------------
|------------------
does it increase streak by 2 also? saw a chord like this in m61 of freebird

or
|-------------
|-------
|------------------
seems like a higher chance of increasing streak by 3

edit: i replayed freebird being careful to hit every note early and get all the ticks and got 1879 instead of 1878, so that makes me feel good that i'm calculating it correctly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noticed du hast has some complicated-ish extended sustains going on. would appreciate if someone could look at the chart and see if it looks good.
du hast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for making my site live. Please refer to the first post as well.
http://site.tmullin.net:81/ipather/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! Wish one day someone will do pro keys soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: