FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Playing Left-handed Keys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Playing Left-handed Keys? Reply with quote

So ive played most of the songs in the game on keys now and i was starting to get a little bored and a great idea hit me. Why dont i try playing keys parts left-handed. then i was like wait why dont i play bass parts left handed because i still need 25 songs bass goal. then i was like wait the doors' bass is keyboard anyway, its ray's left hand so i tried some doors bass on keyboard and it was mad fun.

it hurt my hand after two or three songs though, but its nice to see a 6x multiplier with keyboard and play the doors other keyboard charts basically. has anyone else done this?

i also see this as a good way of building up my non-dominant hand and getting better with it.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Playing Left-handed Keys? Reply with quote

CyberRaiza wrote:
i also see this as a good way of building up my non-dominant hand and getting better with it.

It's a good idea, esp. if you ever want to play any keys outside the game. Usually when you are learning on a real piano you have to learn to play scales with both hands at the same time, or Hanon exercises or similar which force you to use both hands to play very similar parts.

I figured since a lot of you good guitarists use your left hand to fret it would already have its chops up (except maybe not the thumb).
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Playing Left-handed Keys? Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
CyberRaiza wrote:

It's a good idea, esp. if you ever want to play any keys outside the game. Usually when you are learning on a real piano you have to learn to play scales with both hands at the same time, or Hanon exercises or similar which force you to use both hands to play very similar parts.

I figured since a lot of you good guitarists use your left hand to fret it would already have its chops up (except maybe not the thumb).

THIS.

I dont really play keyboards, but i have before and do on occasion so its helpful to use both hands and be able to use both well.

I tried two songs with my left hand, i forget which but i think i 3-starred them both then i did just like heaven and managed to 5 star it easily. my left hands dexterity, speed, etc is great, but the main thing that makes its a new challenge still for me is just seeing something like red, green, yello, blue, red, orange for example and not confusing fingers. i usually do fine, but thats the hardest part i think.

HyadesD4  

Location: A long-ass fuckin' time ago in a town called Kickapoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how exactly will you activate? I've tried lefty keys before, and reaching over to press the button is very awkward. Until we have proper pedal activation, we'll have to stick to righty.

MasterNobody wrote:
And somebody make D4 a banner! ^^^ He's an awesome guy and doesn't afraid of anything.
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly related note, The Doors' bass parts are (for the most part) actual bass parts. They did play bass parts with the keyboard, but had actual bass guitar in addition to that. While it's true that The Doors didn't have a permanent bassist as part of the band, they recruited various bassists to record the parts.
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:
On a slightly related note, The Doors' bass parts are (for the most part) actual bass parts. They did play bass parts with the keyboard, but had actual bass guitar in addition to that. While it's true that The Doors didn't have a permanent bassist as part of the band, they recruited various bassists to record the parts.

oh yeah thats right, i remember they brought in elvis's bassist for one album/session to inspire jim morrison. haha good point.

and for activating i just leave my right hand crossed over my left, its a little akward i suppose, but its not really uncomfortable

Shinji16  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Obligatory mention that I've been playing piano for 2 decades.)

For regular Keys, do whatever suits you best. For Pro Keys, however, I highly recommend against this, and using only your right hand. So far, every Pro Key chart I've played, on every difficulty, has been written for the right hand.

The idea of playing with the left hand as building tolerance/strength with your non-dominant hand is correct, but not with the Pro charts. I highly recommend playing regular Keys with both hands (not simultaneously) if you're considering trying out piano outside of Rock Band. But beyond that, playing the Pro charts left handed would be very awkward and unnatural.

There has been mention of a few Pro charts where your left hand will "reach in" and help out, and I can say I've found one such example so far, during the guitar solo of Llama. Beyond that though, I have intentions of FC'ing everything essentially one handed, and I hope you aspire to do the same if you're on Pro charts.

I hope my advice is helpful, and wish you luck on the keys!
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinji16 wrote:
(Obligatory mention that I've been playing piano for 2 decades.)

For regular Keys, do whatever suits you best. For Pro Keys, however, I highly recommend against this, and using only your right hand. So far, every Pro Key chart I've played, on every difficulty, has been written for the right hand.

The idea of playing with the left hand as building tolerance/strength with your non-dominant hand is correct, but not with the Pro charts. I highly recommend playing regular Keys with both hands (not simultaneously) if you're considering trying out piano outside of Rock Band. But beyond that, playing the Pro charts left handed would be very awkward and unnatural.

There has been mention of a few Pro charts where your left hand will "reach in" and help out, and I can say I've found one such example so far, during the guitar solo of Llama. Beyond that though, I have intentions of FC'ing everything essentially one handed, and I hope you aspire to do the same if you're on Pro charts.

I hope my advice is helpful, and wish you luck on the keys!

Thank you very much sir. yeah i hadnt thought about doing it on pro yet (i cant do right handed really well on pro, took me about 10 tries to pass tears for fears, tried the con and just like heaven a few times without any practice and failed all of them), but now i know i wont do it left-handed.

and keyboard outside of rb is a possibility so ill keep building up my left hand with normal keys. thanks.

thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread turned out not to be what I expected, but I'll ask anyway as it's sort of appropriate for the title.

I'm thinking of getting the keyboard to dabble in the pro field but I see a potential problem in that I'm totally left-handed. Like, I play guitar in the manner that's called 'right-handed' but I don't see why it's called that when you do the complicated bit with your left hand.

...I digress. Point is, my right hand is massively uncoordinated and, thanks to an accident that resulted in three severed tendons, pretty weak compared to my left hand. Is it worth my time to get the keyboard? Is there any chance I'd be able to do reasonably well with only (or, y'know, mostly) my left hand?

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
Like, I play guitar in the manner that's called 'right-handed' but I don't see why it's called that when you do the complicated bit with your left hand.

You underestimate the preciseness with which one's strumming hand has to keep rhythm with nothing else but your own mind guiding it; fretting is quite messy in comparison.

As for the rest of your post, there is no such thing as "left-handed keys," as everyone plays the piano in the same way. They don't make left-handed pianos. As a result, the charts in Rock Band are entirely made up of right-hand (you could consider it the "melody") parts; playing them with entirely or mostly the left hand would be inaccurate to say the least, but there's nothing stopping you from doing so.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinji16 wrote:
So far, every Pro Key chart I've played, on every difficulty, has been written for the right hand.

Not saying I disagree with you, but I am curious: Have you tried Antibodies and/or Roundabout yet (on Expert)?

RB3 Expert Pro Keys FCs: 58/63 + 214 DLC. My accomplishments thread.
GanonMetroid  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltgloss wrote:
Shinji16 wrote:
So far, every Pro Key chart I've played, on every difficulty, has been written for the right hand.

Not saying I disagree with you, but I am curious: Have you tried Antibodies and/or Roundabout yet (on Expert)?
I'll disagree with him. This Bastard's Life. Those lower notes are actually a whole octave down. Who could even argue those are for the right hand?

Videos. Guitar Hero accomplishments. Rock Band accomplishments. GH customs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv Ganon PSN Name: PanOfMopsicle ICQ Number
Skyp1e  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ARE actually left handed pianos. Impractical beasts if you asked me.

As for the Doors, very little of their music, in the studio or especially live uses a bass guitar player. Most of the low end was done on a Fender Piano Bass played by Ray Manzarek's left hand.

I should know I was in a Doors tribute band for many years and had to emulate Ray from Glasses to boots.

This is me from those days:

And this was my gear:

As for playing the right hand parts with your left hand, it wouldn't damage your hand to do it. You won't really pick up any bad habits either, but keep in mind that the shapes of the patterns were played with a right hand and won't be very comfortable to play with your left a lot of the time and in the case of some chords will be close to impossible. Otherwise I don't see any harm in it give it a try.
megallica  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyadesD4 wrote:
But how exactly will you activate? I've tried lefty keys before, and reaching over to press the button is very awkward. Until we have proper pedal activation, we'll have to stick to righty.

can't you activate using the select button, on the right hand side of the keyboard peripheral?

still inconvenient for "whammying" but at least you can activate easier that way if you're playing lefty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: