FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Charting mistakes on Pro Keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malictus  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Charting mistakes on Pro Keys Reply with quote

As a keyboard player, for the most part I'm quite impressed with the way the Pro Keys mode works. Other than a few simplifications, and the occasional octave shift to account for the limited range, the songs are charted quite well and I feel like I'm really playing the song.

But I've found the first real 'mistake' in charting for a Pro Keys song --- the Pre-Chorus in Last Dance confuses the A-flat, D-flat, and E-flat chords, in the same way both times.

Anyone else notice this? Are there other problems? Am I the only one who even cares?
Azuarc  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing on lower difficulties, I've noticed a few different inconsistencies, but nothing to write home about since it's not expert.
wuLFe  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Charting mistakes on Pro Keys Reply with quote

malictus wrote:
As a keyboard player, for the most part I'm quite impressed with the way the Pro Keys mode works. Other than a few simplifications, and the occasional octave shift to account for the limited range, the songs are charted quite well and I feel like I'm really playing the song.

But I've found the first real 'mistake' in charting for a Pro Keys song --- the Pre-Chorus in Last Dance confuses the A-flat, D-flat, and E-flat chords, in the same way both times.

Anyone else notice this? Are there other problems? Am I the only one who even cares?

Yup - I posted about this a few weeks ago - I'm surprised they haven't patched it yet - I can remember playing that song, hitting what I assumed to be the correct notes, and "plink"
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
Horseface  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KNEW there was something weird about that Last Dance stuff.
malictus  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charting mistakes on Pro Keys Reply with quote

wuLFe wrote:
Yup - I posted about this a few weeks ago - I'm surprised they haven't patched it yet - I can remember playing that song, hitting what I assumed to be the correct notes, and "plink"

It would be very easy to patch I would think --- it's the right number of notes, so changing the notes wouldn't affect anyone's scores or anything...
sluggo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if would technically be a "mistake," but on the mini-keyboard solo/lick on "Jive Talkin" (after each chorus), the chart "wraps" for absolutely no reason. It starts at the high a-c-a-g-e and has more than enough room to complete the solo as it descends, but it wraps back up to a high A and G, which is confusing as all hell. I scratched my head trying to figure out that charting oddity.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solo for Last Dance also has a wraparound issue, with the high B flat and C being played as lower notes (yellow/blue), even though there is a higher B flat and C key available (green/orange). I guess they didn't want to do so many little shifts, but it makes that part rather odd, and it's the solo!

Of course, priority is to fix the pre-choruses, but if they're gonna be changing things... (and hopefully they do fix that).

Bladder of Steel/Platinum Artist - 2/15/09
malictus  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another glaring error: Two B-flat chords in Killing Loneliness are charted as B-D-F rather than BFlat-D-F. This would sound pretty atrocious if played on a real keyboard
RaginCaucasion  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another error: I Got You (I Feel Good). My piano-playing roommate pointed it out to me- it seems like the whole song is charted half a step higher/lower than what it should be (he first noticed it during the iconic sax part).
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaginCaucasion wrote:
Another error: I Got You (I Feel Good). My piano-playing roommate pointed it out to me- it seems like the whole song is charted half a step higher/lower than what it should be (he first noticed it during the iconic sax part).

I don't know if this would explain it but if it's a Bb woodwind or Eb woodwind etc. there is a transposition that must be made to chart it on a "piano" staff. In other words to confirm that it's charted wrong, you wouldn't play the notes on a sax as charted in the game, you'd have to play them on the piano as charted in the game, or transpose them to a saxophone chart and play that.

I am not a saxophone expert (I played clarinet) so I could be totally wrong about this, but if I'm right that explains it.
malictus  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transposition definitely could have something to do with it --- although I don't think any instruments transpose by half-step (Bb instruments transpose by whole-step). Anyway, I don't have perfect pitch so those kinds of things don't bother me --- it's just the individual mistakes that I notice.
RaginCaucasion  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
RaginCaucasion wrote:

I don't know if this would explain it but if it's a Bb woodwind or Eb woodwind etc. there is a transposition that must be made to chart it on a "piano" staff. In other words to confirm that it's charted wrong, you wouldn't play the notes on a sax as charted in the game, you'd have to play them on the piano as charted in the game, or transpose them to a saxophone chart and play that.

I am not a saxophone expert (I played clarinet) so I could be totally wrong about this, but if I'm right that explains it.

As luck would have it, I'm actually a saxophone player myself, haha. But the tenor sax in voiced in Bb, so that wouldn't explain the half-step discrepancy. My roommate easily transposed the notes in the game half a step and it sounded fine, so I'd just chalk this one up to an early charting error, akin to a few drum charts in Rock Band 1.
mridlen  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm new here, I have been playing pro keys non-stop since I bought the game (the first of the Rock Band series that I have purchased, although I have GH2 and GH3). This looked like the best community to discuss the game.

I think personally that the game is quite a bit harder than playing keyboard is real life, not just because of the exact timing, but because sometimes you are playing the parts for both hands on just one hand. I noticed when I was playing Killing Loneliness on a keyboard, it wouldn't sound right until I used two hands to play the intro - the left hand playing the C, G, and the right hand playing the Eb, etc. It also makes the chords much more densely packed. Even if it doesn't sound right IRL, it's great practice for the hands. I have been playing keyboard for years (mostly self taught) and this game challenges me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: