FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Outside - expert - FC seekers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disquette  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Outside - expert - FC seekers Reply with quote

I haven't FC'd it, but I wanted to make a topic for this because imo it's a pretty easy FC. Much more than some "easier" songs. There are only two "hard' patterns in here, the rest depends on your drum set quality (double/missed hits) and your mental and foot pedal endurance.

I haven't FC'd it for those two reasons - mostly the mental endurance.

Here's the standings so far for it:
http://rockband.scorehero.com/rankings.php?platform=2&size=1&group=3&diff=4&song=42&page=1&highlight=1

seeing the difference between someguy and gurnkiller (18K) and someguy and sevin (26K), this seems like a good topic for a post as people haven't been destroying this with all the top scores clumped within 2k of each other, as seen in many other songs.

First, as reference, check out DBV's video, because I'll reference this a couple times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n2ulbEaAXc

Ok, so the two hard-ish patterns you can see in the following note chart:
http://rockband.scorehero.com/images/notecharts/rb/outside_drums_expert.png

The hard parts, and how to adjust for them:

Problem one, the isolated triplet -
The first screwball is thrown at you near the end of measure 10 (first measure in second line of that chart). You can see a triplet in place of the usual couplet between downbeats.

In DBV's video, you can see that he gets the triplet, but then loses the combo shortly thereafter. This is probably because your hands get alternated because of the triplet (one extra note than the couplets), so your right hand isn't ready for the snare hit a measure or so later.

Solution -
If you play the first note, the downbeat, of measure 7 with your right hand, and start the gallops with your left hand, then you can play the upcoming triplet starting with your left hand, which puts your right hand in the proper place for the snare hit.

Problem two, the inline triplets -
This phrase starts on measure 29 (which is verse three). This is similar to the issue above, but is less forgiving because of the fact that you have to start with the left hand on the red notes due to the cymbal crash preceding them.

If you simply played through, alternating sticks including for the triplets, in measures 30, 32, and 36, you again end up with your sticks messed up for the first snare hit, which happens in measure 37.

Solutions - Before stating this, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Harmonix meant to put another triplet in measure 34, which would have made this run much easier. 30, 32, ??, 36. Why isn't there a triplet there? Well, in any case, there are probably two routes to take with this, and both involve a paradiddle.

Solution 1 would involving using one paradiddle. After the 3rd triplet, your left hand will be on the down beat. If you go with this solution, I'd recommend using a paradiddle on the first downbeat of measure of 37. This will have you ready for the snare.

Solution 2, which I prefer, would be one in which you paradiddle after *every* triplet, on the down beat of the next measure. The benefit to doing it this way is that you're not using the left stick as the down beat for many notes in a row, which solution 1 would entail. It's just easier for the brain to process, imo.

Problem two, the mini-fills -
you start seeing mini-fills with odd sticking at the end of measure 64. I won't expound too much on this, except to say that DBV's solution to this is optimal, in my mind. You can see it between 2:27 and 2:31 in his video.

So, that's it. The only other part that could get you in trouble is the chant 1 section, where people can figure out for themselves if they're most comfortable double hitting with one hand or crossing over sticks. This song I think should have a much tighter clumping of high scores, and I would guess that if people put in the effort to get those three tricky sections in their muscle memory, you'd see that.

I wish I had the chops to do so myself, but I don't (yet!). In practice I can get any of these sections 100%, which tells me that if I can, lots of other people can too, and much more easily
someguy913  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to at least gold-star this song for a long time now. I agree, it does seem to be a combination of mental endurance and kit quality. The problem is I often can't tell which one is causing the problem at the time. If it matters, I do use the solution 2 paradiddle method for the hi-hat triplets. Best of luck to you, sir, on your quest for this FC!

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: someguy913ps PSN Name: someguy913
anonymous_103  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, my kit hates songs with 16th note patterns on the red drum. Noteably this, Orange Crush, and RttH, and to a degree, The Hand That Feeds.

Luckily, I was able to FC THTF pretty early on. Orange Crush and Outside still give me tons of problems. And RttH is insanely hit or miss.

I don't find anything in Outside terribly difficult. I agree with the others that it's totally a mental game - an easy FC with a perfectly working kit and having your head in the game.

Just my $0.02.

Proud Carungiist - If you are a Carungiist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Carungiists are on ScoreHero!
yakityyakblah wrote:
OMG it's called scorehero not shitty argument hero.

Author for RockGamer Studios
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: