FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Another Arrow Glitch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Another Arrow Glitch? Reply with quote

Just ran into the arrow glitch for the first time on RB3. This time restarting didn't help, going back to the song list didn't help, even starting a new song didn't help. I finally got it to go away by unplugging the mic and plugging it back in.

Anyone else run into it in RB3 yet?

Last edited by singemfrc on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this on video so you can see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSGHwDDzzrE

One of the phrases I know I was horribly sharp, but its obvious my voice isn't capable of the kind of wild shit the arrow was doing. This was basically a sightread, I'd only ever heard this song once before when I played it on drums a few days ago.
And yes I know its shitty photography, thats what happens when you try to videotape with an iphone while singing and not watching the phone screen
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the arrow glitch as we know it. It's only visual, and it typically only causes the arrow to flicker when you're not singing. I attribute it to the auto-sensitivity mumbo-jumbo the game engine is doing.

Did you try turning your speakers/TV down a bit?
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
It's not the arrow glitch as we know it. It's only visual, and it typically only causes the arrow to flicker when you're not singing. I attribute it to the auto-sensitivity mumbo-jumbo the game engine is doing.

Did you watch the video? It definitely wasnt visual only, it caused me to drop all the phrases except 1 or 2 (one of em i sung badly, probably woulda missed it anyway) and definitely wasn't the sensitivity issue. (I was using headphones in a silent room, so there was no sound at all other than my voice. I unplugged the headphones and turned on the speaker to record the video but the run before was with headphones and it acted exactly the same.)

This is the same mic and same settings I've been using (RB1 stock mic) and FCing everything else with. I FCd Bo Rhap with it yesterday so it's not me or the mic. When I unplugged the mic and plugged it back in, it went back to normal.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I watched the video, but that still doesn't look like the shaky arrow we know and hate to me. If I had to guess it looks like the sensitivity auto-adjustment going haywire. Maybe the game reads the sensitivity at the start of the song and you coughed into the microphone at that moment or something.

I dunno, HMX just needs to dump that craptastic "feature" and give us control over the vocal sensitivity again.
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
Icemage wrote:

Did you watch the video? It definitely wasnt visual only, it caused me to drop all the phrases except 1 or 2 (one of em i sung badly, probably woulda missed it anyway) and definitely wasn't the sensitivity issue. (I was using headphones in a silent room, so there was no sound at all other than my voice. I unplugged the headphones and turned on the speaker to record the video but the run before was with headphones and it acted exactly the same.)

This is the same mic and same settings I've been using (RB1 stock mic) and FCing everything else with. I FCd Bo Rhap with it yesterday so it's not me or the mic. When I unplugged the mic and plugged it back in, it went back to normal.

Well since RB2 came out we have been through 10+ mics and what happens in that video right there is EXACTLY what happens to us when our mics start dying. We do the same thing to fix it as you did, unplug it and plug it back in. Typically this will only happen occasionally for now, but i'd bet that within the next month or two this will start happening more and more, until the mic gives out and starts making that awful crackling sound
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!

Last edited by ProffessorJoe on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Yeah I watched the video, but that still doesn't look like the shaky arrow we know and hate to me. If I had to guess it looks like the sensitivity auto-adjustment going haywire. Maybe the game reads the sensitivity at the start of the song and you coughed into the microphone at that moment or something.

I dunno, HMX just needs to dump that craptastic "feature" and give us control over the vocal sensitivity again.
I don't think its the same glitch as before, so maybe I shouldnt have phrased it as "arrow glitch is back"..but did you really watch the video? I mean I'm not trying to give you shit, when it comes to vocals there are few opinions (if any) that I respect more than yours, but if I had coughed or done anything to cause that it would have been audible in the video. I was singing it well enough to awesome (except that one phrase) and I was getting messy's and okays, and the arrow was jumping all over the place. It may be the sensitivity being locked on full that caused this glitch, but its not a constant thing like its the way im singing or its my settings. Im not new to vocals, I know whats normal and what isn't. Its something that happened once and then when i unplugged the mic and replugged it, hasnt happened again.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProffessorJoe wrote:
Well since RB2 came out we have been through 10+ mics and what happens in that video right there is EXACTLY what happens to us when our mics start dying. We do the same thing to fix it as you did, unplug it and plug it back in. Typically this will only happen occasionally for now, but i'd bet that within the next month or two this will start happening more and more, until the mic gives out and starts making that awful crackling sound
Ahhh..that sucks. This is an old mic..I actually started using it a few months ago because my RB2 one went bad without warning (it would just randomly shut off completely) Damn I really dont feel like buying a new mic right now.
dogfoodnyc  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that count, my mic is dying

My YouTube Channel
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
Icemage wrote:

I don't think its the same glitch as before, so maybe I shouldnt have phrased it as "arrow glitch is back"..but did you really watch the video? I mean I'm not trying to give you shit, when it comes to vocals there are few opinions (if any) that I respect more than yours, but if I had coughed or done anything to cause that it would have been audible in the video. I was singing it well enough to awesome (except that one phrase) and I was getting messy's and okays, and the arrow was jumping all over the place. It may be the sensitivity being locked on full that caused this glitch, but its not a constant thing like its the way im singing or its my settings. Im not new to vocals, I know whats normal and what isn't. Its something that happened once and then when i unplugged the mic and replugged it, hasnt happened again.

I did watch the video, that's why I made the comment I did above. The weird spot is at the end of the first verse, you're clearly singing it properly but the arrow just vanishes on you and goes everywhere. But it sort of settles down in the same pitch range later, so I'm not sure quite what to make of it. The old shaky arrow would have continued to give you problems in that same pitch range, and that's not what's happening.

Replugging the microphone shouldn't have fixed anything though, unless maybe you've got a loose connection in the mic and it's getting flaky.

As ProfessorJoe mentioned, some mics start malfunctioning after a while. Out of curiosity, is your microphone a Logitech Vantage? I had one do exactly this sort of behavior intermittently. I accidentally stepped on it one day, and ever after it was sort of unreliable, and every once in a while it would transmit static instead of my voice at random. Eventually it just dissolved totally into static all the time and I had to toss it and get a new one.

As far as the PS3 version software goes, I've not had any issues since adjusting my mic sensitivity and keeping control over the environmental noise.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its an RB1 mic, and I have a feeling Joe is right, I think the mic is on it's way out which is a shame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: