FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Possible big issue with Ions + Pro mode
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTsCaRNaGe wrote:
I just got my 3rd cymbal and started noticing that whenever I hit 2 notes at the same time whether they're a cymbal or a tom, there is a chance one of them drops. Unless I hit them both really hard sometimes one just won't register. It's like hitting one of them cancels out the other one. It really confuses me.

If you had a non-Ion brain I would suspect crosstalk cancellation (a setting that prevents hitting one pad from accidentally triggering another).
iTsCaRNaGe  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
iTsCaRNaGe wrote:
I just got my 3rd cymbal and started noticing that whenever I hit 2 notes at the same time whether they're a cymbal or a tom, there is a chance one of them drops. Unless I hit them both really hard sometimes one just won't register. It's like hitting one of them cancels out the other one. It really confuses me.

If you had a non-Ion brain I would suspect crosstalk cancellation (a setting that prevents hitting one pad from accidentally triggering another).

I have the normal ION brain, I've had it for awhile too and this has never happened before.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iTs CaRNaGe PSN Name: iTsCaRNaGe
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gladiators16 wrote:
Have you tried tightened your cymbals more? My cymbals, especially my yellow one, just start getting more wobbly and shaky over time until they start overhitting and dropping notes

My cymbals are tightened to hell, when I thought that was the problem. It's not.
TopazGrl wrote:

Tape. I literally put 2-3 layers of masking tape on my cymbals and all overhits stopped.

Will have to try that, thanks.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTsCaRNaGe wrote:
I have the normal ION brain, I've had it for awhile too and this has never happened before.

When crosstalk cancellation is too high, the brain will think that a second hit is crosstalk and not send the signal. I honestly don't know if that is your problem. If it is you are boned because you can't adjust the Ion brain settings. ccmoose posted to the HW forum about how his Ion kit was acting weird as well. I think in his case he had to hit the cymbals are hard as he could to register a hit.
iTsCaRNaGe  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:

When crosstalk cancellation is too high, the brain will think that a second hit is crosstalk and not send the signal. I honestly don't know if that is your problem. If it is you are boned because you can't adjust the Ion brain settings. ccmoose posted to the HW forum about how his Ion kit was acting weird as well. I think in his case he had to hit the cymbals are hard as he could to register a hit.

Ya as long as I hit them both pretty hard they will both register, it's harder to do on fast songs though. It is really annoying cause if I'm just playing one they work perfectly.

Maybe I can contact RBP who knows.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iTs CaRNaGe PSN Name: iTsCaRNaGe
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DavidShek is experimenting with a signal adjuster that is sold by the Rock Band Kickbox guys. A third party adjustment is going to be your best bet. Either that, or ditch the Ion brain for a real brain and use a MIDI adapter (that is $$$ though).
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTsCaRNaGe wrote:
Thats what I thought was happening at first. Take it into freestyle and spam the cymbals and see if you get any tom hits in the audio
oobitydoo  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably because of the way the ion brain differentiates between tom and cymbal hits. I noticed this when I hooked it up to my computer to try to play DTXmania, lol.

The stock ion brain has essentially 6 inputs for drums, which I think windows saw as buttons 4,5,6,7,11,12. (We'll just pretend these are the right numbers...if they aren't, you know what I mean.) 4,5,6,7 are the colors, 11 is for toms, and 12 is for cymbals. That is, if you hit the yellow tom, you'd get 5+11 registering. If you hit the blue cymbal, you'd get 6+12 registering. However, if you hit the yellow tom and blue cymbal at the same time, you get (5+11) + (6+12), which means you ALSO get inputs (5+12) + (6+11) registering, since all 4 buttons are depressed. I.e., you get an extra yellow cymbal and blue tom registering.

My friend and I could never figure out how RB managed to ignore these extraneous triggers, and the only thing we could come up with was that the polling rate was high enough that it wouldn't be humanly possible to hit a tom+cymbal close enough together for the game to register it incorrectly (or just that it didn't matter if you got strange input, but when we took it into freestyle, we could only hear the drums we hit, not the extra hits). If that was the case, maybe that window was enlarged just a bit for RB3...it's be pretty ironic if that was a consequence of them fixing how the timing window works actually broke the game for pro drums.

singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very interesting but I'm not sure if it's the root cause since it is only sporadic and happens regardless of what else I'm hitting, if anything. I can spam the hell out of a cymbal and get 99% perfect hits but it will just throw one tom hit where it should be a cymbal, and it does it even when the cymbal is hit slowly.
oobitydoo  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, and that's when it's just the cymbal right, not when you're also hitting a different tom with it? Sounds like it's probably just the brain getting confused and throwing the wrong input. Something shorting maybe? I don't have RB3, so I couldn't tell you with my kit, but when I was playing on a friend's ion, I didn't have that problem. So it's possible that some of the brains just didn't have perfect quality control, or they just degraded over time, and the tom/cymbal inputs are occasionally shorting together. Other than that, I don't have any idea what it could be.

singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oobitydoo wrote:
Hmm, and that's when it's just the cymbal right, not when you're also hitting a different tom with it? Sounds like it's probably just the brain getting confused and throwing the wrong input. Something shorting maybe? I don't have RB3, so I couldn't tell you with my kit, but when I was playing on a friend's ion, I didn't have that problem. So it's possible that some of the brains just didn't have perfect quality control, or they just degraded over time, and the tom/cymbal inputs are occasionally shorting together. Other than that, I don't have any idea what it could be.
That was my guess since it doesn't seem like anyone else is having this problem. I waiting for word back from ion...I'm out of warranty but if they can confirm that a new brain would fix it, it wouldn't be too bad for me to just buy a new brain.
Alixbox1723  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Alesis DM10 pads hooked up to an ION brain and the cymbals have very low sensitivity whereas the pads are extremely sensitive (you can spit on one and it triggers). I think it's part RB3 part ION brain since it seems a lot of players have been reporting reduced cymbal sensitivity.

Breakneck Speed, just as dangerous as Rapid Cocaine or Swift Mushrooms.
TimEbaysball  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with my ION set is that every so often it'll force a combo break. I'm not sure if its a glitch in the game or my cymbals overhitting. I got a gameplay video of the combo break happening and slowed it down frame by frame and couldn't see any other pad being registered when the overhit happened. I should be thankful it's not actually dropping hits all together. It's just making a lot of my FC's into 100% overhits. Even though I didn't overhit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys eliminated static as a possible source? My IONs get static attacks every couple of months starting about year ago, I just wipe them down with fabric softener (the jacks, inside the ports, surface, etc) and then they work fine again. Maybe everything is too tight? If that's the case it could just be crosstalk due to vibrations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Erroneous tom hit from ION cymbals Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
That is very interesting but I'm not sure if it's the root cause since it is only sporadic and happens regardless of what else I'm hitting, if anything. I can spam the hell out of a cymbal and get 99% perfect hits but it will just throw one tom hit where it should be a cymbal, and it does it even when the cymbal is hit slowly.

Just starting to have this problem now.

Previously, my ION's (all Ions: pads, cymbals, brain) have been perfect for RB3, i.e. not dropping, doubling or sending bad info to the software, since RB3 came out. Now I'm getting an erroneous tom hit randomly from hitting the cymbals.

It's really making me angry with the start of RB leagues coming.. has anybody found more info on this problem?

I'm really thinking its the ION brain malfunctioning (a short) since before today my ION set has worked perfect with the RB3 software.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: drummerbmw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: