FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
PS3 vocalists: Adjust your RB3 mic sensitivity in the XMB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: PS3 vocalists: Adjust your RB3 mic sensitivity in the XMB Reply with quote

I've never had to do this in the past with my microphones for Rock Band but since Harmonix has "thoughtfully" (/sarcasm) removed the feature from Rock Band 3, there's actually a use for this PS3 setting.

Here's how you do it:

From OUTSIDE of the game, in the Cross Media Bar (XMB), go to Settings > Accessories > Audio Devices. (you can't adjust Audio Device settings while playing RB3, so quit the game if you've got it running)

There are 3 settings here:: Input Level, Input Device, Output Device.

With the microphone you want to use connected to your PS3, use the D-pad to navigate to the Input Device setting, and use Up/Down to find your microphone if it's not already listed (you might want to double check just in case, as other devices can register as audio devices, such as the PS3 Eye).

Once you're sure you've got the microphone selected, go to Input Level and set it to whatever level you want. There is a loudness meter at the top, and you can test it make sure it's working by speaking or singing into the microphone as you adjust the setting. I highly recommend setting this to the max (5) unless you're having problems with random noise accidentally setting off OD.

This setting makes some devices that work somewhat flakily extremely usable (SingStar microphones, most USB headsets, even my Samson CO1U). And just from a few hours of playing, it seems to fix at least some of the OD activation and broken talky problems.

Xbox 360 and Wii owners: I don't think there is a similar setting for you guys, before someone asks. I could be wrong, however, and if I am, someone please correct me and post it here so I can update this.
JuliefooJojo87  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip hun!
I tried it out, seemed to work great for me! <3

Last edited by JuliefooJojo87 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Juliefoo
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be just what I needed, great idea.
JosJuice  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this affects gameplay at all. Mine is set to 0 (which should make the input completely silent) and scoring works fine.
My guess is that this setting only affects the volume when talking to others online.
View user's profile Send private message PSN Name: JosJuice Wii Friend Code: 5959909536341960
Icemage  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JosJuice wrote:
I don't think this affects gameplay at all. Mine is set to 0 (which should make the input completely silent) and scoring works fine.
My guess is that this setting only affects the volume when talking to others online.

It most definitely affects gameplay.

My Samson CO1U condenser mic has very low gain and is totally unusable in RB3 without pushing the sensitivity setting to 5. 4 registers an arrow, but makes overdrive nigh impossible to activate. 3 produced a flickery arrow if I was loud. 2 or below produced no arrow whatsoever.

Similar results for my Shure 58A Beta mic connected via a Blue Icicle XLR pre-amp, though the pre-amp makes it a "little" better as it registers ok at 4, but also works fine on 5 sensitivity.
anonymous_25  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
BankaiNinja  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuliefooJojo87 wrote:
Thanks for the tip hun! i'll have to try it out <3
yeah, thanks hun.
TheAdept  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no similar adjustment available on the Wii, just to confirm your suspicion.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAdept wrote:
There is no similar adjustment available on the Wii, just to confirm your suspicion.

Pretty sure the situation is the same on the 360 as well, from my conversations with other vocalists on the 360.

Has anyone else tried this setting and experienced an improvement in vocal OD performance / talky reliability? I haven't had any issues with either one using any of my 7 different microphones since I turned up the sensitivity (2 x Logitech Vantage, 2 x SingStar, 1 x Plantronics USB headset, 1 x Samson CO1U, 1 x Shure Beta 58A).
MWcw709  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the RBP Shure Replica mic and RB2 Stock mic and i like the RBP didn't have to adjust anything. But, RB2 stock mic i can only use on the #5 setting in the xmb and even then i'm lucky to get the windows to pop.

Get your Portable ID!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: MWcw709 PSN Name: MWcw709
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been messing with this to no avail so far, but I'm just curious, anyone have a reason as to why the Settings > Accessories > Audio Devices is not available without quitting the game? I don't believe that's the case in other games when using a headset.
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a RB1 mic (PS3), but I feel it's too sensitive. Activating OD is just as easy/hard as in RB2, but when I'm not singing there's an arrow that appears, I'm assuming from background noise. I'm not a good vocalist, so I can't tell if it's affecting when I do sing. Would making the level from 0-5 being like a 3 or 4 instead of 5 (what it's default at for me) reduce sensitivity? I can't experiment now, but it'd help if you all ready knew so I don't have to waste time. :P
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeXBird wrote:
I use a RB1 mic (PS3), but I feel it's too sensitive. Activating OD is just as easy/hard as in RB2, but when I'm not singing there's an arrow that appears, I'm assuming from background noise. I'm not a good vocalist, so I can't tell if it's affecting when I do sing. Would making the level from 0-5 being like a 3 or 4 instead of 5 (what it's default at for me) reduce sensitivity? I can't experiment now, but it'd help if you all ready knew so I don't have to waste time. :P

Yes, larger numbers = more sensitivity, so if you're getting an arrow even when not singing, try reducing it and seeing if it helps.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know whats different on your system mage, but I set mine to a 1 and I'm still getting auto activations even in a silent room...it definitely had no effect. I was on a 3 to start with, and just the air from moving the microphone made the arrow register before, and that didnt change after changing it to a 1.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
I dont know whats different on your system mage, but I set mine to a 1 and I'm still getting auto activations even in a silent room...it definitely had no effect. I was on a 3 to start with, and just the air from moving the microphone made the arrow register before, and that didnt change after changing it to a 1.

I think ambient noise level has a lot to do with it. Maybe your room is TOO quiet? Do you play with headphones on normally?

Bear in mind, even with the manual sensitivity, the game still seems to be trying to "read" the ambient volume and looking for spikes for OD activations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: