FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
sheet music?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
preppypoof  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: sheet music? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has found a resource out there that has sheet music for the pro keys songs. I can't imagine that I would ever be able to sightread a song on expert pro keys, but I could manage it if I had sheet music.
xGaberadex  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here dude, these Pro-Key songs are making my 12 years of piano experience look like a piece of poop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely cannot read the keyboard notations on-screen sometimes. I would kill for a resource that I could look at and readily tell the difference between G sharp and G flat. Playing the "well, it's kinda close to the edge of the green zone" game takes too long and I end up missing notes on timing as a result.

+1 for sheet music, pls.
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azuarc wrote:
I absolutely cannot read the keyboard notations on-screen sometimes. I would kill for a resource that I could look at and readily tell the difference between G sharp and G flat. Playing the "well, it's kinda close to the edge of the green zone" game takes too long and I end up missing notes on timing as a result.

+1 for sheet music, pls.

Start on medium, it scrolls slower. The notation is much easier to get used to, and eventually you'll find yourself not even looking at the keys.
Azuarc  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice...if it weren't for the fact that I did start on medium and am still playing medium.

Ironically, I think I'd be better off if it showed the entire keyboard at once since at least then I'd get used to the visual positioning, but every song has a different relativistic positioning.
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azuarc wrote:
Good advice...if it weren't for the fact that I did start on medium and am still playing medium.

Ironically, I think I'd be better off if it showed the entire keyboard at once since at least then I'd get used to the visual positioning, but every song has a different relativistic positioning.

I suspect what you're supposed to get used to doing is knowing where the color range boundaries are, and the visual cue you get is where they are relative to those color boundaries.

That being said, I eventually am going to have to figure out how to read keys charts, and possibly eventually pro keys charts. I don't really want to try and turn it into full music notation (and I don't like the idea of using 3rd-party midi software for it, either), but what if I or someone were to make something that looks analogous to ajanata's charts, but on a normal staff? In other words, it would show rhythm and sustains by placement on fixed-width measures rather than using different styles of notes, but the actual "track" that it would be on would be musically correct. Should it be written on two clefs (presuming that the middle key is supposed to be middle C) or on one treble clef (putting the middle key on C5, but making it easier to read assuming you're playing one-handed)?

Anyways, stuff that's been floating around in my head, don't expect it to be on my website anytime particularly soon :-)
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
Chimney  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys but I sort of do read the chart as sheet music.

When I see the Blue section, I think in my head "ahh thats C to E) and when I hit a note I know instantly what note it is like "oh that's a g or a G minor chord" because I associate the colour areas of the chart and keyboard with the actual notes. That way it makes it easier to understand some of the songs in terms of their actual piano sheetmusic.
bclare  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimney, that's great for you but I think that's a much higher-level type of visual reasoning that not everyone is good at.

I agree with Azuarc, but I also understand Kawigi's reasoning. My biggest issue now, and I have started with Easy Pro Keys, is not being able to locate the keys without looking down, especially since every song is on a different range.
niq24601  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are professional songwriting tools out there like Sibelius that can convert midi files into sheet music, though notes that don't have sustains might look funny (e.g. they might look like 16th note, 16th rest, rather than 8th note). Since the pro track is charted directly using the notes on the keyboard, if you have the midi file all you have to do is throw out all the other tracks.

However, the sheeet music/tab copyright police make WMG look like Somali pirates when free sheet music shows up on the web. Putting sheet music of someone else's songs on the web is one of those proceed-at-your-own risk situations.

"gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
singemfrc wrote:
When I got GHWoR at midnight the guy behind me was there to buy a copy of Iron Man 2 on Blu Ray and midnight. Buying a movie at midnight release? Wow, so I didn't feel like the biggest loser
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: niq24601
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
not being able to locate the keys without looking down

From my (admittedly limited) experience, if you are doing this you are fine. Keep playing songs at the level you are, and eventually you'll find yourself looking at the keys less and less. The large jumps (around an octave) will still take some getting used to but eventually you won't have to look at the keys for anything smaller than a minor sixth.
Azuarc  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi, I'd be happy to have a mod to look at the music scrolling by as actual sheet music on a G clef, left-to-right like the vocals. Unfortunately the game wasn't built for that, and I don't have a modded Xbox. If the option were available and I were playing on PC where I could just download and install, I would do it in a heartbeat. But for my opinion? I'd sooner do a single clef just because the range of notes on the keyboard isn't that great -- it spans C to C to C. That fits rather nicely on one treble clef, even if it means that the "middle" C on the keys would be C5 rather than C4.

Chimney, I hope that some day it will be like that for me. But, having come from a piano-playing background, sheet music is much more comfortable for me right now. I find that if all I'm playing is white keys, then I don't have a problem, but the issue is primarily that I have always thought of black notes as accidentals regardless of if they are in the key signature or not. I find the way they are displayed on the screen much more difficult to read than if everything were in the key of C (or A minor.) A single accidental here and there is ok, but when I have to shift from B-D#, to A-C#, to F#-B or F#A, I find myself hitting G# instead...or vice versa.

nig, as with everything, execution is paramount. A raw printable file that could be used as anything? Yeah, that's going to be trouble. An actual in-game mod that pastes over part of the screen? Well, maybe, but not nearly so much. Of course, for that to be done right, it probably should come from HMX directly...and I seriously doubt they will do so unless there is a huge outcry since it would wreck the continuity of the screen. I'm sure at the very least they're going to tell us to give it a month in hopes we all end up being able to read it spatially in their format the way that Chimney does.
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azuarc wrote:
Kawigi, I'd be happy to have a mod to look at the music scrolling by as actual sheet music on a G clef, left-to-right like the vocals. Unfortunately the game wasn't built for that, and I don't have a modded Xbox. If the option were available and I were playing on PC where I could just download and install, I would do it in a heartbeat. But for my opinion? I'd sooner do a single clef just because the range of notes on the keyboard isn't that great -- it spans C to C to C. That fits rather nicely on one treble clef, even if it means that the "middle" C on the keys would be C5 rather than C4.

Chimney, I hope that some day it will be like that for me. But, having come from a piano-playing background, sheet music is much more comfortable for me right now. I find that if all I'm playing is white keys, then I don't have a problem, but the issue is primarily that I have always thought of black notes as accidentals regardless of if they are in the key signature or not. I find the way they are displayed on the screen much more difficult to read than if everything were in the key of C (or A minor.) A single accidental here and there is ok, but when I have to shift from B-D#, to A-C#, to F#-B or F#A, I find myself hitting G# instead...or vice versa.

nig, as with everything, execution is paramount. A raw printable file that could be used as anything? Yeah, that's going to be trouble. An actual in-game mod that pastes over part of the screen? Well, maybe, but not nearly so much. Of course, for that to be done right, it probably should come from HMX directly...and I seriously doubt they will do so unless there is a huge outcry since it would wreck the continuity of the screen. I'm sure at the very least they're going to tell us to give it a month in hopes we all end up being able to read it spatially in their format the way that Chimney does.

To be clear, no one's talking about an in-game mod :-)
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
blastissimo218  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys ever heard of Synthesia?
It is basically "Piano Hero." I consider it a good practice for RB3 pro keys. considering it doesn't features failing. You could play ANY song on it, as long as you could find its respective midi file.
http://synthesiagame.com/

This is my advice for those who are having trouble getting used to reading pro key charts.

/goes back to lurking.
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

So, uh, do the pro charts from this game translate directly to the "right" mid files to play on a real piano? Obviously with the octave folds and everything, but this would be a great way to practice playing these songs... with sheet music!
GanonMetroid  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did this last night.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2010/11/08/llama/llama.pdf
Slurs indicate that the notes are charted under the slide mechanic.
Staccatos don't mean anything and just helped with playback.

If you guys find this particularly helpful I could certainly make more, but it's pretty time-consuming. Let me know.

Videos. Guitar Hero accomplishments. Rock Band accomplishments. GH customs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv Ganon PSN Name: PanOfMopsicle ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: