FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rock Band 3 FC Breakdown (PRO)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
googleimage  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'll be the one looking after and maintaining the list from here on out. Please note, however, that I will not be reordering songs unless they are convincingly argued for in the thread, or if events dictate that they should be reshuffled.

I have, however, added a few asterisks to the list. I am open to adding a few more. Because the glissando technique can be so hit and miss, I will also add symbols to show those songs that contain glissandos.

Suggestions welcome!
shik4maru  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice !

I have a doubt though. Why does Oh My God have an asterisk ? What exactly would make this song harder with one hand ?
megallica  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shik4maru wrote:
Nice !

I have a doubt though. Why does Oh My God have an asterisk ? What exactly would make this song harder with one hand ?

with two hands, you can frame the chords so that you have a finger on every key that is played for the first 3/4th of the song, with one hand you have to make different chord shapes and move your hand so its significantly more difficult

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple items to add to megallica's response:

I would make the case that every single song would be at least a little bit easier if you use a two-handed technique instead of a one-handed technique. The asterisks are intended to represent those songs whose difficulty would be increased disproportionately if one hand is insisted upon, to the point where their overall ranking would be significantly affected.

Oh My God qualifies by this standard because 95% of the song is the same fairly tricky 3-chord progression. The only challenge here is in the dexterity required to switch positions between those chords. With one hand, it's surprisingly tough to nail consistently and would be ranked further down the list. With 2 hands, however, that dexterity requirement is almost completely removed and the song becomes one of the easier songs in the game. Another example: Antibodies with one hand would join the short list of the absolute hardest FCs in the game.

The counterpoint to these would be Dead End Friends; the basic agreement is that one-handed technique would also make this much harder to FC. So why no asterisk? The reason is because it's not nearly so apparent that its overall ranking would change due to the increased difficulty. All of the surrounding songs would be harder with a 1-handed technique as well, and so there's less reason to draw special attention to the increase in difficulty you get by playing with one hand.
shik4maru  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so if I understand you right, then This Bastard’s life should not have an asterisk. Playing it one handed would not make it more difficult than say, China Grove. I play one handed most of the time, and while I occasionnally used two hands on this bastard’s life, it was only to ensure I won’t make a silly mistake and hit a C or an E instead of a D when the chord shifts from G to D.

Or if you want to keep the asterisk, move this bastard’s life lower in the list. I only have 43 FC and have been able to FC This Bastard’s Life at least 3 times, so 51 is too high IMO.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree. This Bastard's Life can lose the asterisk, provided its current ranking. There has been enough discussion on this song to justify a rerank. However, I believe that if it's ranked lower, then the asterisk becomes appropriate. Based on past discussions, I think the rerank is a better move than an asterisk-drop.

In prior discussions, the feeling has been that it belongs around #45. That puts it in company with the likes of Good Vibrations, Portions For Foxes, Centrefold, In A Big Country, and 25 or 6 To 4. Personally, I think this is exactly the group of songs it belongs with. Before I weigh in more specifically on where within this group I think it belongs, I'd like to get some more thoughts on where This Bastard's Life ranks within the group above. Let's temporarily keep the discussion on this point for the time being.

Your thoughts?
megallica  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

googleimage wrote:
I tend to agree. This Bastard's Life can lose the asterisk, provided its current ranking. There has been enough discussion on this song to justify a rerank. However, I believe that if it's ranked lower, then the asterisk becomes appropriate. Based on past discussions, I think the rerank is a better move than an asterisk-drop.

In prior discussions, the feeling has been that it belongs around #45. That puts it in company with the likes of Good Vibrations, Portions For Foxes, Centrefold, In A Big Country, and 25 or 6 To 4. Personally, I think this is exactly the group of songs it belongs with. Before I weigh in more specifically on where within this group I think it belongs, I'd like to get some more thoughts on where This Bastard's Life ranks within the group above. Let's temporarily keep the discussion on this point for the time being.

Your thoughts?

assuming everything is played 2-handed, i think it should be directly beside 25 or 6 to 4, either directly below or directly above

In A Big Country is objectively easier, since the only hard part is the chords, which can be framed in a similar manner to Oh My God (but obviously a much more difficult case) where you can arrange your fingers to cover every key in the chord sequence, and you don't need to move your hand positions at all

if This Bastard's Life is moved there, then the asterisk would be appropriate, but i agree that at it's current ranking, it shouldn't be any more difficult one handed than the songs near it would be one handed

Centerfold is much easier two handed, since you can place your hands to have one finger on each key of the glissandos and play them without moving your hands, as opposed to sliding across the keys (and that makes it even easier to take advantage of the glissando mechanic where you only really have to hit the first and last note on time, and can be off time or skip notes inbetween entirely as long as you don't skip too many)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with megallica that This Bastard's Life should be next to 25 or 6 to 4. I think I would lean slightly towards putting This Bastard's Life at 48, with 25 or 6 to 4 at 47. The hardest part to FC in 25 or 6 to 4 is the machine-gun quintuplet midway through the song (well, it also appears at the beginning, but that's simple to restart from a la Oye Mi Amor). That's not easy, but I think This Bastard's Life is more consistently hard throughout.

But this brings to mind a related question: should 25 or 6 to 4 also have an asterisk? The aforementioned machine-gun quintuplet is, IMHO, significantly easier to hit (at least hit consistently) using two hands. (Apologies if this was discussed earlier in the thread - I haven't had time to dig through to check.)

RB3 Expert Pro Keys FCs: 58/63 + 214 DLC. My accomplishments thread.
shik4maru  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltgloss wrote:
I agree with megallica that This Bastard's Life should be next to 25 or 6 to 4. I think I would lean slightly towards putting This Bastard's Life at 48, with 25 or 6 to 4 at 47. The hardest part to FC in 25 or 6 to 4 is the machine-gun quintuplet midway through the song (well, it also appears at the beginning, but that's simple to restart from a la Oye Mi Amor). That's not easy, but I think This Bastard's Life is more consistently hard throughout.

But this brings to mind a related question: should 25 or 6 to 4 also have an asterisk? The aforementioned machine-gun quintuplet is, IMHO, significantly easier to hit (at least hit consistently) using two hands. (Apologies if this was discussed earlier in the thread - I haven't had time to dig through to check.)

I tend to agree there too, In a big Country is objectively easier, as well as centerfold. However I disagree with the asterisk on 25 or 6 to 4. I hit the quintuplets one-handed consistently, it just requires some technique (slowly raise your arm while moving your wrist down with a quite static finger), but once one get it, it’s not that hard. To me the hardest part is the chord section in the middle of the song, I often choke there because I tend to hit a nearby note when moving from the F-C-E chord to the A-B-E chord or sometimes my pinky stays anchored on a key. Oh, and it’s overly long too.

I agree on putting This Bastard’s life after 25 or 6 to 4 on 48, keeping it’s asterisk.
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo, based on my current progress (if googleimage still even comes here) this list needs some serious changes in parts.

Walk of Life: This still seriously needs to be moved up (easier) a ton, since the only part that has any difficulty at all is the intro, and that's still not enough to put it ahead of things like Low Rider, Werewolves of London and In The Meantime, which all have tricky parts at the end which are harder than anything in WoL. This could move down at least 10 spots.

Beautiful People: I think this and Before I Forget could be switched, since Beautiful People is short, and BiF is quite a bit longer and really sparse, which makes it easy to miss because you weren't paying attention.

The Look: Maybe it's just me, but I find this song really hard. Probably just me though.

Here I Go Again: This song is just easy chord sustains with some moderately large jumps in some places, although definitely nothing as to make it close to Challenging tier.

Du Hast: While the song is moderately long and the melody part is quite fast, it's very repetitive and easy to learn, and could move down around 5 spots.

Space Oddity: The two bridges are really fast and hard to be consistent on, especially with the nerves that comes from hitting the first one, and the beginning of the first solo isn't easy either. This could move up about 5 spots or so.

Cold As Ice could also use an asterisk due to the bridge and second verse (or whatever has the zig-zag) being very spread out, not to mention the intro.
megallica  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
Walk of Life: This still seriously needs to be moved up (easier) a ton, since the only part that has any difficulty at all is the intro, and that's still not enough to put it ahead of things like Low Rider, Werewolves of London and In The Meantime, which all have tricky parts at the end which are harder than anything in WoL. This could move down at least 10 spots.

Walk of Life was my 38th on disc FC (and i was trying to get the easiest ones possible the whole time)

Werewolves of London was my 8th and In The Meantime was my 16th

that chord section in Walk of Life is tons more difficult than the quick 5 note sequence at the end of Werewolves of London, so i don't even see how that would be up for debate

if you use practice mode rather than trying to learn the ending of Werewolves in real runs, it really shouldn't take long

honestly, i don't see anything in Living in America that's as difficult as the chord sections in Walk Of Life, and it's only two spots lower

if you want to switch Walk of Life with Low Rider, that would be fine, but i think it's placement is fine as is

you brought up this exact thing on the previous page in this thread, and it was decided that Walk of Life should stay at 26

i'm guessing that you're just abnormally good at the chords on Walk of Life compared to the songs near it on the breakdown

Hobo111 wrote:
Beautiful People: I think this and Before I Forget could be switched, since Beautiful People is short, and BiF is quite a bit longer and really sparse, which makes it easy to miss because you weren't paying attention.

i don't really have an opinion on this, since they're both loleasy

it would probably be easiest to rank them based on which one has more notes in it, since there really isn't any amount of difficulty in hitting any of the notes

they're all spread far enough away from each other than you could just drop the sustains if it was really that hard to get to the next key

Hobo111 wrote:
The Look: Maybe it's just me, but I find this song really hard. Probably just me though.

i found this song to be hard as well, but to be fair, i've seen others who have gotten this as their 10th FC, so the difficulty of this song may very greatly between different people

i definitely think it's easier or at least of similar difficulty to Something Bigger, Something Brighter (currently 2 spots higher), so it's probably fine where it's at now

Hobo111 wrote:
Here I Go Again: This song is just easy chord sustains with some moderately large jumps in some places, although definitely nothing as to make it close to Challenging tier.

the patterns in it, and the skills required to play it seem very similar to Killing Loneliness to me, which is ranked right next to it

it was my 36th FC, and it's ranked 33rd, so that seems about right to me too

if this song were to be ranked easier, i wouldn't drop it any farther than being between Don't Stand So Close To Me and The Look at their current placements, but i don't feel like this song really needs to move either

Hobo111 wrote:
Du Hast: While the song is moderately long and the melody part is quite fast, it's very repetitive and easy to learn, and could move down around 5 spots.

i wouldn't judge this song until you actually grind it out for an FC

it's easy to tech FC, because many parts repeat, but the melody is difficult to hit consistently for the entire length at the end of the song

i tech FCed it when i had like 20 FCs, and even playing it frequently, i couldn't FC it until i was at 44/63 FCs

the FC difficulty of that song is almost entirely based on consistency, and not really about FCing one or two hard parts

Hobo111 wrote:
Space Oddity: The two bridges are really fast and hard to be consistent on, especially with the nerves that comes from hitting the first one, and the beginning of the first solo isn't easy either. This could move up about 5 spots or so.

i completely agree here

i think it could easily move up to being between Centerfold and In A Big Country

tl;dr
i agree that Space Oddity should move up (more difficult), and could move to #45, between Centerfold and In A Big Country

i would leave the rest where they are, or at maybe move them one or two spots

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 public service announcements:

1. I will do a minor revision of the rankings in the next couple days. I hadn't really responded to the feedback in the rankings, since I was awaiting more discussion. But since it never really came, I'm just gonna go ahead and make those adjustments.

2. SHUDDAP ABOUT WALK OF LIFE.
malkieriking  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKM is a little bit high for my liking. I only have 22 FCs, and I got that in 2 runs after not playing it for about 6 months. It is really straightforward with two hands, and there are only a couple even mildly tricky fills in the ending.

Then again, I could just be really good at that song for no reason (kind of like The Look). Even Yoshimi gave me more trouble than TKM. I don't really know how far down other people would put it, but personally I would drop it at least 15 spots (I know that's a bit extreme).

zage1337, in my accomplishments thread wrote:
Ever since I started Blitz I played the silver ball
From Thrasher down to One Vision, I've must've played them all
but you aint seen nothing like him in any song at all
that malkieriking SURE PLAYS A MEAN PINBALL
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malkieriking wrote:
but personally I would drop it at least 15 spots (I know that's a bit extreme).
Yeah that's a little extreme considering that song is giving me way more trouble than songs below it. (I Need To Know, which took like 20 minutes, Portions For Foxes which I got my third time every playing it.) Also I'm not going to shut up about Walk of Life until it gets moved.

Alsooo, how about a Blitz breakdown? I'm getting the game today, I can play through all the songs and make a preliminary list.
megallica  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malkieriking wrote:
TKM is a little bit high for my liking. I only have 22 FCs, and I got that in 2 runs after not playing it for about 6 months. It is really straightforward with two hands, and there are only a couple even mildly tricky fills in the ending.

Then again, I could just be really good at that song for no reason (kind of like The Look). Even Yoshimi gave me more trouble than TKM. I don't really know how far down other people would put it, but personally I would drop it at least 15 spots (I know that's a bit extreme).

yeah, moving it to #22 is a little extreme (sycocoaster initially put it at #43)

TKM uses the same basic skill set as The Power of Love, and the chords on The Power of Love are easier, with less variation

i could see Break On Through and Get Up Stand Up moving above both TKM and tPoL, but i don't really think it should move farther below those
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Keys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: