FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Guitar Solo Bonus and Big Rock Ending Calculations
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krimsunmunkeys  

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Guitar Solo Bonus and Big Rock Ending Calculations Reply with quote

I decided to do some testing on how the bonuses for Guitar Solos are calculated. It's quite straightforward, really:

n = number of notes in the solo. Hold points mean nothing. Chords count as single notes.

Perfect Solo: 100%, 100n points
Awesome Solo: 95%-99%, 50n points (Obviously, there's a huge cut for one missed note. Imagine the bonus on a GGaHT FC...)
Great Solo: 90% - 94%, 30n points
Good Solo: 80% - 89%, 20n points
Solid Solo: 70% - 79%, 10n points
Okay Solo: 60% - 69%, 5n points
Messy Solo: 0% - 59%, 0 points

Adding on, I've expanded on PeridotWeapon's research on Big Rock Endings.

As Peridot stated, for Guitar and Bass, each fret is worth an initial value of 150 points, and afterwards, the fret's value "recharges" until the fret is no longer lit up and is once again worth 150 points. In addition, I've determined that this recharge time is approximately 1.5 seconds, and not determined by tempo, which was a suspicion I had due to the length of Overdrive activations (and Star Power before it). To calculate this, I recorded the screen when I hit a fret and continued to record until the fret became discolored. Recording at 30 frames per second, I counted 45 frames in multiple trials, coming out to a 1.5 second recharge time.

Since Echelar has already brought it up, drums work in a similar fashion, except that rather than each drum being individual like the guitar's frets, each drum corresponds to the same recharging point count, which maxes out at 750. The recharge time is the same as with the guitar: 1.5 seconds.

Last edited by krimsunmunkeys on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Graf  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work!

I was gonna try and figure this out sometime soon... thank you for posting the information

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's on a similar topic and shouldn't really need a separate "sticky" thread, here's how the Big Rock Ending scores work (at least for Guitar/Bass):

Each note has a default value of 150 points.
After you press the note, that column fills with color and the value for that note drops to practically nothing, then begins "recharging" up to the maximum value of 150 points.
You can tell the note has fully recharged when the color fades away on the bar - that's a sign that it's "maxxed out" at 150 and you want to hit it as soon as possible, it can't "recharge" any further and it's costing you points in the long run.

I don't think there's any real advantage to waiting for a column to fully recharge before hitting it (it takes slightly over a second for a full recharge). But hitting all five notes in the same pattern over and over again is likely the best way to maximize your BRE scores.

And while it's possible that slowly and distinctly tapping G-R-Y-B-O over and over again might optimize your Big Rock Ending scores, would it really be any FUN?

But if you're playing to max/min your score (hello there, Leaderboards), go into a song in Training - many of them, like GG&HT, have a final section that's JUST the Big Rock Ending. You can determine the method that optimizes your personal score there.

If this doesn't belong here (it IS a topic on Guitar Solos after all, not Song Endings), feel free to nuke this comment. But I thought it might be nice to have both thoughts in the same thread.
krimsunmunkeys  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information PeridotWeapon, and I'll be sure to test it out when I can. Actually, it's good that you posted that, because I was hoping to eventually be able to expand this page into a more comprehensive resource for the game's scoring system.
Echelar  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that I think the drum BREs work differently than guitar. You don't have to spam nearly as much to get full points. I think hitting any drum about once per second is enough. Starting as early as possible and ending as late as possible in the BRE is important, too.

I know this is in the gtr section of TSG, but just thought I'd mention it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got approximately 50k points in solo bonus for the second solo of ggaht with 94%. (Great Solo: 90% - 94%, 30n points )

According to this... if you FC'd the second solo, you'd get approximately 160k in solo bonus!?!?! My final score was 540k...that would have put me at 650k + all the notes I missed would have put me close to 700k.
(not that I can hit the second solo , I'm just saying that our high score is missing a lot of points)

Best expert FC's: Mother, Carry me home, you really got me, rock this town, laid to rest

My strategy to 5*'ing misirlou... http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28694
krimsunmunkeys  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to original post PeridotWeapon's information on Big Rock Endings and expanded on it. Also, after Echelar's cue, added a bit on Drum BREs as well.
krimsunmunkeys  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the info is already here, I'll add that I did some testing on Drum BREs. After talking a bit with JCirri about my findings, he gave me the suggestion to simply set a metronome and drum at different speeds to see how many points I get. I set it at 120 bpm and drummed every other click (once per second) and got about 500 points per hit, while drumming every third click (once per 1.5 seconds), I got about 750, which falls in line with the guitar fret recharge time of 1.5 seconds.
viper565  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, this is pretty helpful.

www.highschoolorlower.com | VISIT OR PERISH
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ViperX66
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I prefer to have "hands-on" confirmation of the things I say, I finally put in the Stratocaster today. I think that's the first time I've ever even connected the guitar into the system while it's been on. (What can I say? I don't like the strum bar, and the whammy bar is in the way. Different strokes for different folks.)

Anyway, the best test I could come up with was Foreplay/Long Time on Practice, JUST the Big Rock Ending, at 50%.

Even in this situation, the best I could manage on the Stratocaster Solo Buttons was only 11,590 - I got 11,657 on the first attempt on the GH3 guitar, which surprised me. I figured the Stratocaster would get at an extra hundred points or so from being able to activate all five of the note channels at the same time and hit them all closer to the very end. That tiny advantage might show up at 100% speed, though.

Regardless, the solo buttons don't help give you points FASTER in Big Rock Endings, neither will using the controller buttons on the Drum Pad. So it's easy enough to "play for high score" on any instrument and not have a handicap in the BREs.
jonfitzsimon  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeridotWeapon wrote:
Since I prefer to have "hands-on" confirmation of the things I say, I finally put in the Stratocaster today. I think that's the first time I've ever even connected the guitar into the system while it's been on. (What can I say? I don't like the strum bar, and the whammy bar is in the way. Different strokes for different folks.)

Anyway, the best test I could come up with was Foreplay/Long Time on Practice, JUST the Big Rock Ending, at 50%.

Even in this situation, the best I could manage on the Stratocaster Solo Buttons was only 11,590 - I got 11,657 on the first attempt on the GH3 guitar, which surprised me. I figured the Stratocaster would get at an extra hundred points or so from being able to activate all five of the note channels at the same time and hit them all closer to the very end. That tiny advantage might show up at 100% speed, though.

Regardless, the solo buttons don't help give you points FASTER in Big Rock Endings, neither will using the controller buttons on the Drum Pad. So it's easy enough to "play for high score" on any instrument and not have a handicap in the BREs.

Very interesting here...
mrnutz  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Big Ending Reply with quote

I don't know if this is something anyone has posted before but I figured I'd post something I've started doing. When the big band ending comes up I put my thumbnail to the lower solo frets and just start zipping it up and down as fast as possible. I'm fairly certain that this is the best way to hit the most notes on the ending, but seeing as the note value apparently is reduced to almost nothing when it's hit in close time proximity the last hit, this could just mean that I'm looking like a retard (because it looks retarded to do) for nothing.
Southern  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see this information anywhere else, but I just did a little experiment with a metronome to figure out how much a note recharges every fraction of a section.

I have the PS2 version so I have to sit through the whole song in practice, so it's kinda annoying for me to do a ton of tests. But what I found seems pretty clear. I picked Mississippi Queen since it's short.

First time I set the metronome to 60, and strum the same note every second and see what my final score is. I strummed 7 times with an interval of 1.0 second between each strum, and got 753 points.

Now then, the initial strum is worth 150, so I subtract that and divide by the remaining strums.

(753 - 150) / 6 = 100.5

So, after recharging for one second, the note is worth roughly 100 points. I tried again and got a note value of 96.85, so still right near 100 points. Next I tried with the metronome set to 120, to figure out how much the note is worth after .5 seconds.

This time I got exactly 650 points with 11 strums.

(650 - 150) / 10 = 50

So the note is worth 50 points after recharging for half a second.

Sooooo.....it seems that every .1 seconds of recharge makes the note worth 10 more points, all the way up to 150 points. I tried this with an interval of 1.2 seconds and got 120.4 points per strum, and with .3 seconds and 28.6 points per strum. Don't really see a need to try every interval.

.1 seconds - 10 points
.2 seconds - 20 points
.3 seconds - 30 points
1.3 seconds - 130 points
1.4 seconds - 140 points
1.5 seconds - 150 points

Which kinda makes sense. Doesn't really matter that rate you strum, a pattern like would get you the same amount of points at any speed (Assuming you're hitting each at 1.5 seconds or sooner)

*Edit*
In addition, you could figure out a near optimal score for the big rock ending if you know how long it lasts in seconds. Every second would be worth 500 points (5 frets worth 100 points per second).

If X = the number of seconds in a big rock ending, then:

500 * X = near optimal big rock score

However, the first time you strum all 5 notes, their value is going to be worth 150 points each, so you want to hit each fret as fast as possible the first time you hit them. So I guess you couldn't really figure out a truly optimal score, since it would be related how fast a person is able to hit the frets the first time.

Hope something in there is useful.
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodnod. That's pretty much another way of looking at the "wall of text" I posted earlier. 150 points a column for the first press, then 100 points/second of "recharge," maxing out at 150 if you take too long to press a note.

That's where the 'slow scale' method of playing came from. As long as you hit every note at least once every second-and-a-half, you're getting optimal scoring on the BRE. The only points of deviation should be how quickly you hit them all at the very beginning when they're fully charged, and how close to the very end you hit your last note(s).

And since so few people in the world REALIZE this, that's why I enjoy playing Tug-of-War on occasion. If the song has a BRE, it's pretty much a guaranteed victory no matter how poorly I play. Or, more accurately, a guaranteed last-second-disconnect by the opposition.
Southern  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine you can determine the amount of seconds in the big rock ending from the note charts in the overdrive topics? I don't completely understand how to read the tempos in the note charts (I have no real music background), specifically the way they keep changing tempo.

I used a stopwatch and a video of Mississippi Queen to get a general idea of how long the big rock ending lasted, and figured the optimal score to be somewhere above 3800 points, not counting how fast you can hit the frets the first time. I was able to get above 3700 in practice mode using the "slow scale" method, and I thought I did it a bit sloppy. I'm curious exactly how to determine the amount of time in the big rock ending, so I know more accurately how many points are possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: