FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RB3 vocal mechanics discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: RB3 vocal mechanics discussion Reply with quote

I'm going to be testing out a bunch of stuff in the coming week and thought putting it all in one place would be a good idea.

I went to the RB3 midnight launch at GameStop and got to play RB3 unpatched on my PS3 for 3 hours before bringing it home with me, and noticed the following.

* There doesn't seem to be any sensitivity setting at all anywhere in the menus that I can find. It might be buried somewhere, but ... I don't see it.

* Pitch detection seems to be a little tighter than RB2. Feels almost Beatles-esque at first glance, though I'll need more time with the engine in a non-party setting to be sure.

* Vocal overdrive was almost impossible to activate on an unpatched PS3 RB3 disc. Shouting would "sometimes" work, but often not. I gave up trying after maybe getting 1 activation off every 3 songs.

* After downloading Patch 1.01 on PS3, vocal overdrive appears to work correctly now.

* Pitch correction is WEIRD.... makes it a bit harder to harmonize when you hear your own voice "sound right". I strongly recommend people only turn this feature on at parties. It could really leave you with some bad singing habits >_>

* PS3 shaky vocal arrow does indeed appear to be fixed. Absolutely no problems with arrow appearance in 3 hours of play on any difficulty.

* Vocal OD can now be deployed in percussion sections.

* Like TBRB, vocal OD can be deployed "in between" parts of a phrase if there's enough empty space between the lyrics.

* There are no more EWs as far as I can tell. Aside from a small bit of "dead air" in front of a phrase, gold windows activate pretty reliably.

* OD windows that appear immediately after picking up a second OD phrase (usually indicated with a "!" in previous SH path notation) are either difficult or impossible to activate. I've only seen two so far, and missed them both. Will update this with more info as it becomes available.

(contributed by bclare): The 99% FC glitch appears to be in RB3, as it was in TBRB and GDRB.

* The Xbox 360 version of Proud Mary by Creedence Clearwater Revival (DLC) incorrectly shows a Harmony part. Attempting to play it crashes the game. The PS3 version shows No Part on harmonies for this song. Wii is unknown (any Wii owners with CCR out there?).

* (contributed by DeftrockX3) There appears to be an intermittent glitch on at least the Xbox 360 version where talkies simply will not register, like Alive(Live) and Inside Out's broken talkies. Reported below, and I've independently confirmed with elx in the #SH IRC that he also encountered the glitch during his ESL3 run. I have heard any confirmed report of whether this glitch exists on either the Wii versions yet. singmfrc indicates PS3 version may also have it. Restarting the song appears to fix the glitch temporarily

* (contributed by elx) Talkies are pickier than RB2. Ambient noise will not trigger them.

* (contributed by elx) The vocal scoring arrow appears to have problems on some downward slides near the bottom of the HUD. They're scorable, but the arrow does not move. Llama is a prime example. Confirmed on both PS3 and Xbox 360, Wii is unknown at this time.

I will update this post with more information as I encounter it.

Last edited by Icemage on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:36 pm; edited 5 times in total
dogfoodnyc  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it must be my microphone then. I got some shaky arrows when I am trying to do some vibrato. But I am totally digging the game. I will try it out more tomorrow.

And yes, the engine is a bit more difficult, a lot like Beatles.

I also need to fix my calibration again... sigh...

My YouTube Channel
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post updated with new observations. Please contribute any information that you come across or experience.
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 99% FC on No One Knows. I dropped a tick on the second phrase of the song, so that might be the reason why; the score breakdown displayed my accuracy score ending with 999 and streak 999, so at least it's all consistent. I FCed the song again with 100% so it's not like it's just me on that song or something
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
I got a 99% FC on No One Knows. I dropped a tick on the second phrase of the song, so that might be the reason why; the score breakdown displayed my accuracy score ending with 999 and streak 999, so at least it's all consistent. I FCed the song again with 100% so it's not like it's just me on that song or something

This could be the same 99% FC glitch that The Beatles and Green Day exhibit, and if it is, it's not tick-based since I've FC'd songs on both those engines without dropping ticks and still gotten 99%.

First post updated.
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm pointing that out because that ws the only 99% FC I've seen, and it did occur when I got less than maximum "accuracy" points, so perhaps it's related in RB3.
anonymous_25  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post updated with additional information.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a problem with a talkie not registering at all, the first phrase of Timmy. Restarted and it registered fine. Weird.

Also found a glitch, where often if you pause during an od phrase, you still get the score but you forfeit the overdrive, even if you awesome the phrase. This is intermittent, but not rare. Going through a song and pausing every od phrase it did it a little more than half the time.
elx  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things I ran into while doing the endless setlist on vocals:

1) 99% glitch seems far more vicious than in other games, had 27 100%'s on sightread, but at least 6 99% FCs on top of that.

2) Talkies are definitely a little pickier than RB2, ambient noise doesn't seem to register them anymore. In messing around, a fan was not able to hit the Huah! in Beast and the Harlot either.

3) Talkies on One Armed Scissor all completely broke for me, even after restarting the song. I had to resort to turning on no fail in order to get through the song and continue with the setlist.

4) The arrow seems to have trouble moving into the very bottom end of the HUD. Several songs with slides approaching the bottom of the HUD would result in the arrow not moving down at all as I dropped the pitch of my voice. One example would be the end of pretty much every phrase of Llama.
rastabot1  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also ran into the problem where none of the talkies work and restarting the song didn't help, I had to back all the way out to the main menu then go back into quickplay, that's the only way I was able to fix it, hasn't happened again

singemfrc  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: RB3 vocal mechanics discussion Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
* There are no more EWs as far as I can tell. Aside from a small bit of "dead air" in front of a phrase, gold windows activate pretty reliably.

* OD windows that appear immediately after picking up a second OD phrase (usually indicated with a "!" in previous SH path notation) are either difficult or impossible to activate. I've only seen two so far, and missed them both. Will update this with more info as it becomes available.
If you know you're going to activate on a ! window, pause right after you pick up od, the chart will rewind, with your od still gained, and you can hit the window easily. (Make sure you have the od before pausing though - there is a glitch where if you pause during an od phrase you may not get the od even if you nail the phrase)

But seriously, theres no arrow glitch, no broken talkies, no broken windows, no guide button trick...this is a great thing. I'm enjoying it very much.
Billtvshow  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are probably other things that trigger the 99 glitch based upon your Beatles eveidence, every single 99 glitch I had of about 10 during my RB3 sightreads were caused by dropped ticks that I knew that I dropped, so don't dismiss it as a cause. It is definitely at least one of the causes.

Good thread idea, covers a lot of the things I've come across.
I can definitely backup the unmovable talky glitch. I had it twice. I restarted the song thrice and it didn't work so I changed from the Goals setlist to just quickplay and that fixed it.
Oh and I should note it was only one specific talky of many in that song.
I actually can't recall off the top of my head which one it was though.

The sensitivity thing is potentially going to be an issue.
I had my TV turned to the normal volume I play RB2 at and was trying to do a full end squeeze and it actually picked up the vocals from the TV and filled a tiny bit of the pie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to adjust to the inability to adjust microphone sensitivity. I've had to sing much farther away from the microphone than I'm accustomed to, and even then it still occasionally picks up bits of sound I don't want.

Other than that, I haven't run into any issues, but I'm sure I'll see some of things you all have mentioned.
elx  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billtvshow wrote:
While there are probably other things that trigger the 99 glitch based upon your Beatles eveidence, every single 99 glitch I had of about 10 during my RB3 sightreads were caused by dropped ticks that I knew that I dropped, so don't dismiss it as a cause. It is definitely at least one of the causes.

Good thread idea, covers a lot of the things I've come across.
I can definitely backup the unmovable talky glitch. I had it twice. I restarted the song thrice and it didn't work so I changed from the Goals setlist to just quickplay and that fixed it.
Oh and I should note it was only one specific talky of many in that song.
I actually can't recall off the top of my head which one it was though.

The sensitivity thing is potentially going to be an issue.
I had my TV turned to the normal volume I play RB2 at and was trying to do a full end squeeze and it actually picked up the vocals from the TV and filled a tiny bit of the pie.

Yeah, when the talky glitch hit me on OAS it definitely broke every talky in the song, not just one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: