FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Making RB charts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
punkmetalpimp677  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to get off the whole drum-charting topic--but I was wondering--when we finish charts for non-guitar stuff, do we put them in the custom song index for the GH section of SH or what? We should get some kind of index over here...

As far as the all 16 difficulties go, let's make it a bit easier--say 12? All difficulties for vocals and drums, a H/X for guitar and bass. Only reason I say that is that while drums & vocals are really easy to "water down" by just taking stuff out, with bass and guitar you get a smaller and smaller range of notes as it gets easier. Plus most people who play RB are probably good enough to guitar or bass on at least hard. I mean, it's a good idea to do guitar and bass on all difficulties, but I don't think we should mandate it.

Just as far as the drum difficulties go, I'm charting a whole bunch of Dream Theater stuff (so crazy drums obviously) and my thought was make the Expert chart the real thing (aka impossible) and the Hard one realistic. Probably a good standard for most double-bass stuff: the Hard chart is really what you're going to be trying to play.

Anyways, just my thoughts on a bunch of random stuff. If I've ignored something with the whole "let's make an RB song index!" thing I'm sorry, but yes i have read the announcement at the top and I've read a whole lot of other stuff, so if I've overlooked something it's not cause I haven't looked for it.
Protein
Sev

LISTEN TO THEM AND SPREAD THE WORD!

(Dream Theater is still the best band ever)
machchunk  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the vocal charts for all difficulties are the same, just that they award different base points and the range of error for pitch is wider.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
iwasaperson  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chart it in db with only guitar part. (do drums, guitar, and bass all in the guitar part) and create seperate .mid files with GHex. THEN use Anvil Studio and compile all of them together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger PSN Name: iwasaperson
pksage  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punkmetalpimp677 wrote:
As far as the all 16 difficulties go, let's make it a bit easier--say 12? All difficulties for vocals and drums, a H/X for guitar and bass. Only reason I say that is that while drums & vocals are really easy to "water down" by just taking stuff out, with bass and guitar you get a smaller and smaller range of notes as it gets easier. Plus most people who play RB are probably good enough to guitar or bass on at least hard. I mean, it's a good idea to do guitar and bass on all difficulties, but I don't think we should mandate it.

This is the logic that quickly leads to X only on everything. The main counter-argument, by the way: just because YOU don't know anyone who plays customs on Easy/Medium doesn't mean that people downloading your custom won't have friends who do.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to encourage integrity in chart creation. It's less than two hours' work for a talented chart creator to make good Easy/Medium/Hard charts for both guitar and bass from an Expert chart, and for shorter songs (or charts of lower quality) you should be able to do it in less than an hour. There's really no excuse not to do it; it's just laziness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: pksage
punkmetalpimp677  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple things about the all-difficulties rule though:
A) If you do that it might discourage people from making charts cuz it's so much more work. Whereas for GH it was just 1 they had to make, now not only do they have to make 4, they have to make 16! I do agree there should be a 12-difficulty rule, or, failing that, at least have a way of saying before the chart is downloaded what tracks are available. It just seems like the harder you tighten the rules, the fewer charts will be made. And it IS better to have a perfect Expert-only chart than no chart at all.

B) I'm really worried that if you make it absolutely necessary, people will take a TON of shortcuts on the lower difficulties, making bad charts anyway. If it's really so "easy" to "water down" a chart, then someone who needs it done should be able to download a H/X or even an X-only chart and get it all done in a reasonable amount of time.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm doing freaking DREAM THEATER and doing all difficulties, so I'm not at all taking the side of laziness. Just wanted to point a few things out that could go wrong if you did mandatory E/M/H/X. If you're all fine with that, go ahead with it; you won't see me complaining.
Protein
Sev

machchunk  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punkmetalpimp677 wrote:
A) If you do that it might discourage people from making charts cuz it's so much more work. Whereas for GH it was just 1 they had to make, now not only do they have to make 4, they have to make 16!

No they don't. They only have to make 13.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
JanDeis  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't really that hard to do all difficulties for every instrument. I have done it for guitar and drums in Frets on Fire. I just took things out for the drum part, then took things out and moved notes around for guitar.
punkmetalpimp677  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
punkmetalpimp677 wrote:
A) If you do that it might discourage people from making charts cuz it's so much more work. Whereas for GH it was just 1 they had to make, now not only do they have to make 4, they have to make 16!

No they don't. They only have to make 13.

The vocals expand the range themselves on E/M/H? OK, I stand corrected, but still it's 13x the work. You get my point.
Protein
Sev

coastercrazy10  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i saw a post from turkeyman that he said he will make it so dB can interpret the drums track correctly so there ends up being a bass line and the drums in the right order.

I generally do X only on guitar parts, but if i were to start doing drums i wouldn't have a problem watering down some drum charts. Of course, i'd have to buy the disc for PS2(because i think the PS3 peripherals work on PS2?), but that'd be ok. It'd be worth it. And Vox would be really hard for me...i have a good ear for what's wrong, but not always what's right.

-CC10

SSCoasters.net - the biggest K'Nex roller coaster website on the planet
KnexForum.com - the best forum for everything else K'Nex
pksage  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punkmetalpimp677 wrote:
If you do that it might discourage people from making charts cuz it's so much more work.

YES. This is the point. It's no coincidence that the charts by people who churned out 3+ GH customs a week were terrible. A good chart should take you enough time to sync it absolutely perfectly and make a spot-on Expert chart that's fun to play; compared to the time spent on those two objectives, making Easy/Medium/Hard is a drop in the bucket that still manages to increase the quality of your final product immeasurably.

punkmetalpimp677 wrote:
If it's really so "easy" to "water down" a chart, then someone who needs it done should be able to download a H/X or even an X-only chart and get it all done in a reasonable amount of time.

Your laziness shouldn't make other people do more work. Besides, for Guitar Hero, good charts (i.e. had animations) were MIDIs, which were a pain in the ass to convert to .chart for editing and then back again. You're fortunate that Rock Band PS2 customs won't have animations, meaning that just a .chart will suffice (assuming dB adds support for vocals and necessary track elements), but this doesn't give you an excuse to not do it.

tl;dr version: Even high-quality E/M/H charts take a very small amount of time. Don't be lazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: pksage
Zilcho  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus having other people do it creates more work than it saves.

Say the author does the other difficulties. They only have to be done once, as each person downloading the chart has a full chart already. Now say that the author only does expert. If 20 people are downloading the chart and adding all difficulties, they will have to make 60 tracks, assuming they only want to add the other difficulties for drums.
I'm callin' in sick today
thespike  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the best way to do it is to make drums first. With the four or five I've done, after drums, the rest of the song has damn near perfect sync.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ignthespike1
punkmetalpimp677  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pksage wrote:
punkmetalpimp677 wrote:
If you do that it might discourage people from making charts cuz it's so much more work.

YES. This is the point. It's no coincidence that the charts by people who churned out 3+ GH customs a week were terrible. A good chart should take you enough time to sync it absolutely perfectly and make a spot-on Expert chart that's fun to play; compared to the time spent on those two objectives, making Easy/Medium/Hard is a drop in the bucket that still manages to increase the quality of your final product immeasurably.

punkmetalpimp677 wrote:
If it's really so "easy" to "water down" a chart, then someone who needs it done should be able to download a H/X or even an X-only chart and get it all done in a reasonable amount of time.

Your laziness shouldn't make other people do more work. Besides, for Guitar Hero, good charts (i.e. had animations) were MIDIs, which were a pain in the ass to convert to .chart for editing and then back again. You're fortunate that Rock Band PS2 customs won't have animations, meaning that just a .chart will suffice (assuming dB adds support for vocals and necessary track elements), but this doesn't give you an excuse to not do it.

tl;dr version: Even high-quality E/M/H charts take a very small amount of time. Don't be lazy.

Hey man, I said I personally am gonna make all difficulties. I just wanted to let people know possible downsides of making these limits. If you don't have any issue with the downside (apparently you don't) that's fine with me. I'll be making plenty of good charts with all difficulties myself.
Protein
Sev

thespike  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at the least each custom should have the Hard tracks for drums, guitar and bass as well as Expert tracks. Medium for drums maybe too.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ignthespike1
punkmetalpimp677  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thespike wrote:
I think at the least each custom should have the Hard tracks for drums, guitar and bass as well as Expert tracks. Medium for drums maybe too.

Agreed. Maybe even Easy drums as well.
Protein
Sev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: