FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
First Drum Chart Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdizzy  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: First Drum Chart Question Reply with quote

Hey guys, Its been a long time since I've been involved with customs and want to get into charting drums. I've finished my rough draft, but some note placements I'm not sure are where they're supposed to be.

So I have 2 crashes on the drums one is the higher crash which I put as the green note, but I don't know if the lower crash should be yellow or blue. Also what notes usually represent splashes? thanks guys for getting me up to speed here...;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: First Drum Chart Question Reply with quote

mdizzy wrote:
Hey guys, Its been a long time since I've been involved with customs and want to get into charting drums. I've finished my rough draft, but some note placements I'm not sure are where they're supposed to be.

So I have 2 crashes on the drums one is the higher crash which I put as the green note, but I don't know if the lower crash should be yellow or blue. Also what notes usually represent splashes? thanks guys for getting me up to speed here...;)

I would chart it to blue, personally. For splashes, just chart as normal. :P
mdizzy  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: First Drum Chart Question Reply with quote

ComicBookGuru wrote:
mdizzy wrote:

I would chart it to blue, personally. For splashes, just chart as normal. :P

thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't really specific rules for which color to use, just general ones based on most of HMX's charts. Generally I chart the most common/loudest/most prevalent crashes to green, then if blue and yellow aren't being used for something else (toms/hihat/ride) I chart other cymbal sounds to them. Blue is usually the first priority after green for single crashes, and double crashes I usually do green+yellow first, green+blue and yellow+blue being alternatives. Splashes feel better on yellow than crashes, but they work well on both blue and green, it depends what's being used. Just try to make it so the same sounds are consistently on the same colors, while at the same time having the player go to a different color when a different sound comes up, when it's possible.
<Blehgopie> so its like GH guitar then
mdizzy  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grinnz wrote:
There aren't really specific rules for which color to use, just general ones based on most of HMX's charts. Generally I chart the most common/loudest/most prevalent crashes to green, then if blue and yellow aren't being used for something else (toms/hihat/ride) I chart other cymbal sounds to them. Blue is usually the first priority after green for single crashes, and double crashes I usually do green+yellow first, green+blue and yellow+blue being alternatives. Splashes feel better on yellow than crashes, but they work well on both blue and green, it depends what's being used. Just try to make it so the same sounds are consistently on the same colors, while at the same time having the player go to a different color when a different sound comes up, when it's possible.

That was very helpful, thanx ! Almost done with the initial chart, hopefully I can follow through and get the music out there. Still need to record the vocals for the song though...

EDIT: Oh I forgot about ride cymbals, I use it in the song and I could either go yellow or blue, in the parts before and after I use yellow and blue for closed and open highhats respecively... right now my rides are on blue which are on every beat except at the beginning of every 8th beat which has the green crash.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdizzy wrote:
EDIT: Oh I forgot about ride cymbals, I use it in the song and I could either go yellow or blue, in the parts before and after I use yellow and blue for closed and open highhats respecively... right now my rides are on blue which are on every beat except at the beginning of every 8th beat which has the green crash.

Ride would be blue, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like crash defaults to green and hihat defaults to yellow, ride defaults to blue, but it's a stronger default for ride. Only rarely do I put ride on green, when both blue and yellow need to be used in succession for other cymbals or toms. I've never seen or charted ride on yellow. Mostly because the ride cymbal is often on the far right side of the kit, so drummers tend to hit a lot of stuff with their left hand, while hitting the ride with their right.
<Blehgopie> so its like GH guitar then
mdizzy  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again thanks guys for all these charting tips, it is really helping me alot right now...

EDIT: All is charted save for vocals... so are we still using KRmaker? Also, how exactly would you chart screaming?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdizzy wrote:
Again thanks guys for all these charting tips, it is really helping me alot right now...

EDIT: All is charted save for vocals... so are we still using KRmaker? Also, how exactly would you chart screaming?

Personally, I love REAPER and I'm gonna plug how great it is right now. Charting vocals is so much easier with REAPER's interface and you can use a synth plugin to compare the notes you lay down with those actually sung (a huge help for someone like me who has issues identifying pitches). For screaming, I would use talkies. I usually lay down talkies as the last pitch I charted, though it doesn't really matter because for the lyrics you'll place a # before each syllable to denote talky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LyokoFreaks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: