FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What counts as a "full band" in RB3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niq24601  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: What counts as a "full band" in RB3? Reply with quote

This came up on the 410th page of the RB3 thread in RB discussion, and I wanted to make it a top-level topic over here. I'm curious about what people think about what's a "full band" in RB3 since it will affect which instrument/vocal combinations I make Rocktimizer paths for.

NOTE: I will not release Rocktimizer paths for RB3 until the game has been out for 9 months, or, if there is an SH season announced or in progress at that point, at the end of that season. Also if there are multiple full-band leaderboards (either on SH or in-game) I will intentionally not path at least one of them for the people (like me!) who like coming up with paths on their own.

blingdomepiece wrote:
woozerkristen wrote:
So what do you think the typical competitive band is going to look like in RB3? It sounds like it may end up being a game of figuring out which combination of four instruments would result in the highest score.

Right. I think that a competitive band (as opposed to a collection of people entering scores under one account) is going to require multi-instrumentalists, since the optimal instrumental configuration will change from song to song, both because of no-parts and because of the variability of key and bass parts. If the scoring from RB2 is kept, I would have to assume the scoring goes something like: 1) vocals, 2) drums, 3) guitar, 4) bass. Keys should be lower than bass for the disc because there are 20 no-parts, but on a per song basis it may be higher.

Because vocals aren't scored and harmonies have to be on the same xbox as vocals, there are nine possible "full band" combinations for songs with keys.
  • Solo vocals + 3 instruments (4 possible sets of 3)
  • All harmonies + 3 instruments (4 possible sets of 3)
  • All instruments (1)
In addition there's a question of whether or not pro mode is enabled, which doubles the number of "full band" arrangements, but let's just set that aside for now. What do people think ought to count as a "full band" in the bold 4-instrument, 3-vocal RB3 future?

Obviously if every band combination is treated as a different leaderboard (either on SH or in the game) there could be a huge fracturing into different types of bands, and some types might not have more than one or two bands trying to put up high scores. But if there is just one leaderboard than the 1st place score will depend on what the optimal set of singers and instruments is for each song. So should a "full band" league restrict to one combination of instruments? Or force people to pick and choose for each song? How many leaderboards should there be: 1? 2? 3? 9? 18? Some other number?

I'm not good enough to be in a real point chasing band beyond tier 1 or 2, but I'm curious what people who are regular full band players think about these questions.

"gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
singemfrc wrote:
When I got GHWoR at midnight the guy behind me was there to buy a copy of Iron Man 2 on Blu Ray and midnight. Buying a movie at midnight release? Wow, so I didn't feel like the biggest loser
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: niq24601
Deschain  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: What counts as a "full band" in RB3? Reply with quote

Like woozerkristen said, the point-hounds are just going to figure out the instrumentation with the highest point potential and probably stick with that. But will there be a leaderboard that supports such a mishmash of instrumentation? Maybe, since keys in non-Pro mode are playable with a regular guitar controller, it's almost like adding a rhythm guitar part.

If there isn't a leaderboard for that kind of pursuit, then I definitely see a fracturing of songs across the many, many leaderboards. I definitely see a lot of Pro Keys happening, but probably not as much Pro Drums (sinking more $ into an instrument you've already got will probably turn some people off), and not nearly as much Pro Guitar. Certain..."renditions" of songs will hold more prestige, like a Bohemian Rhapsody Vox/Keys/Drums/Bass FC, as opposed to a purely instrumental one. If that's the case, I almost guarantee an aggregate leaderboard created as a topic in the Acc forum to track the "Best FBFC/score" across the leaderboards. Will there still be a leaderboard for all 5 instruments, even though one won't be scored? I mean, 5 simultaneous FCs still counts for something. Very much looking forward to the first All-Pro FBFC.

The possibilities for full band are way more interesting now, since previously full band was locked to just one setup. I still think the dominant setup will be the current one, with no harmonies (local play only for harmonies is way too restrictive to allow harmony scoring to flourish, unless self-recording becomes widely accepted), and there will not only be niche bands with a V/B/D/K (or similar) setup, but also probably a lot of instrumental bands finishing the setlist, since now all you need is 3 guitarists and a drummer! However, even with all these possibilities, like you predicted, niq, GH5 has much the same possibilities, and the only leaderboards with any real sort of competition is all Guitar and full band.

In spite of all the possibilities, I do hope the competition focuses somewhere so that everyone can join in on the action, and not just get 1st because no one else has entered a score. I know I'll have a band there, just as soon as we get done with RB2
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 'full band leaderboard,' just a 4-part leaderboard (and soon to be 5 part); as far as scorehero is concerned it will work just like WT and GH5 did. each permutation will have a different leaderboard, and thus the fb leaderboards will become more sundered and dilluted. I feaqr the RB will go the same way GH is and scorehero will be all about solo boards. I have a hard time believing band boards will carry the same competition they do now.

Personally, I think GBDV will still be the strongest, with 5 part scores peeping in as well. The problem with 5 part bands is that involves yet another band slot just for the songs that have all 5 parts. current bands won't be able to submit those scores under scorehero's (dumb, as far as I am concerned - another argument) policy on 4 part scores needing to be submitted by 4 part bands with 1 person on each part - making only anonymous scores able to submit multitasking. This in turn I predict will bring a rise to the increasingly popular scorehero ID bands which post scores for the band as anonymous. (which i detest due to the rotating lineups that don't create 1 band, but a series of hired mercenaries for the given song.)

vocal harmonies have been barely used around here due to the fact all harmonies have to be from 1 place, I imagine that will continue.

tl;dr - Unless there is still a strong GBDV resurgence, bands will suffer due to scorehero score submission restrictions - and more 'anonymous' bands will rise, in order to get around those rules but also get around keeping it to the same people, thus ruining the spirit of bands.

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: