FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GU Framingham, MA SAT 11/06/10 Rock Band 3 Tournament 1pm!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameUniverse  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
That 5-member band thing seriously needs to be culled back to 4 members. You can't play 5 plastic instruments, and having 4 instruments means all singers score 0 (because of All-Instruments Mode kicking in).

Someone needs to do their homework before posting these things.

Lol homework... anyway....

Here is the quote from the Rock Band website...

Scoring
In previous band games when you played with more than one person — say drums and guitar — you would record a “band” score and that’s it. In RB3 we re-engineered the scoring so that in that situation you record a drum score and a guitar score as well! - Plasticaxe Jun 11

However, in “all instrument play” where there are guitar, bass, drum, keyboard, and vocals playing at the same time, the vocals are not scored. - During the E3 demo, while playing on a single Xbox, when all instruments and three vocalist were singing they called it the "All Instruments" mode. This must be a way to get around the controller limits, but HMX has not explained fully what it is or how it works. We do know that vocals do not contribute to scoring in this mode. It seems only four gamertags can sign in at a time on the Xbox making the mics an ad-on.

Now has breakdown of scoring, you will get how many points you received brokendown for example by overdrive and streaks.

The scoring system has been rewritten from a programming standpoint, so your scores will not carryover from RB2 to RB3
– Rockbandaide.com Jun 21

That's so weird... I wonder why they would do that?

What's the best way for us to do this tournament?

Let's say we will take a "wait and see" approach until we can actually test out how the scoring works in this new game.

I do want to include keyboards.... and I love having the vocals in our tournaments so I guess we will have to discuss this.
GameUniverse  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided for this tournament to only do songs that are on the Rock Band 3 Disc... this is open for discussion...
TopazGrl  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameUniverse wrote:
I decided for this tournament to only do songs that are on the Rock Band 3 Disc... this is open for discussion...

I'm for this but would like to add that you can include those first two+ weeks of RB3 DLC.

I have an idea regarding the 4 or 5 man band decision. Using the RB3 (and post- DLC) songs only rule, maybe you could have it so that guitar, bass, and keyboard are all interchangeable depending on the song and what the players choose to play as. Since you can play guitar/bass on the keyboard controller and vice versa, this will let the players decide which instruments they want use for any given song without having to alienate any one player.

Example: Band A has one player with a keyboard controller and Band B has 2 guitar controllers. Band A chooses Roundabout and plays on guitar, drums, vox, and keys. Band B can play on G/D/V/K using both of their guitar controllers or they could do G/B/D/V.

This also opens up the possibility of using the non-keyboard songs in RB3 for two bands using mixed instruments.

On top of that, it'll also be easier to form bands than with five members.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think RB3 disc plus RB3 DLC sounds good.

As for having vocals, clearly the tournament would be scored by the overall band score, not by individual scores. When playing with a 5 person band, yeah vocals don't get an individual score but I'm sure they still contribute to band scoring.

@TopazGrl: I think the general attitude for guitar/bass at RB tournaments is that you can switch off between songs if you want, or even have the other band members switch around, so that's one thing. However I think it'd only be fair to compare scores between two bands if they have the same instruments playing
GanonMetroid  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it turns out that vocals don't contribute to a band score at all, I think it should just be 4-person bands in any combination, which not only opens up instrumentals, but just about every song available to play in Rock Band (with a few RBN exceptions).

Videos. Guitar Hero accomplishments. Rock Band accomplishments. GH customs.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv Ganon PSN Name: PanOfMopsicle ICQ Number
Tobias911  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with just rb3 and rb3 dlc for the tourny, 4 person band seems like the logical choice too for now till we see if any of the score system changes.
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting until release to decide is the best option. Obviously I would like to see vocals included in the tournament (as that would be the sole reason for my participation) but until we know the extent of the effect of this All Instruments mode, we can't make preliminary calls.

I agree with the RB3 songs only judgement, by the way.
GameUniverse  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias911 wrote:
I agree with just rb3 and rb3 dlc for the tourny, 4 person band seems like the logical choice too for now till we see if any of the score system changes.

I guess I am leaning towards this for now....

So any post-RB3 DLC and RB3 Disc songs only.

This really sucks cause I want to have the keys included cause it's something fun and new....

We will wait and see how the final game is before making the final decision about the rules.
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about something like having the option of having your band be guitar-bass-drums-vox or guitar-drums-bass-keys. It's an extra element of strategy to know which (vox or keys) will get you more points for the overall score.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
GameUniverse  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of being able to switch depending on the song... I really hope we misread HMX's post and everyone gets points when full bands play...
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
What about something like having the option of having your band be guitar-bass-drums-vox or guitar-drums-bass-keys. It's an extra element of strategy to know which (vox or keys) will get you more points for the overall score.

I can nearly guarantee you there's absolutely no strategy in allowing people to make that decision. Vocals provides a monstrous amount of points that keys won't be able to scratch the surface of, barring a ridiculous amount of points per keyboard note, which I don't foresee.

In fact, more often than not, vocals contribute the most points to the band's total score. 32k a phrase under full band overdrive adds up quickly.

So I guess you could argue that there is an element of strategy, but the only strategy I see is hoping that the other band is misinformed enough to select keys as their 4th instrument

EDIT: Ideally, if what HMX said in their statement is true, and vocals won't be scored in a 5 person setting, I hope that vocals will at least be able to bring the full band multiplier to x10 so that they serve some functionality in a 5 person situation.
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndestructibleSD wrote:
HellAshes wrote:

I can nearly guarantee you there's absolutely no strategy in allowing people to make that decision. Vocals provides a monstrous amount of points that keys won't be able to scratch the surface of, barring a ridiculous amount of points per keyboard note, which I don't foresee.

In fact, more often than not, vocals contribute the most points to the band's total score. 32k a phrase under full band overdrive adds up quickly.

So I guess you could argue that there is an element of strategy, but the only strategy I see is hoping that the other band is misinformed enough to select keys as their 4th instrument

EDIT: Ideally, if what HMX said in their statement is true, and vocals won't be scored in a 5 person setting, I hope that vocals will at least be able to bring the full band multiplier to x10 so that they serve some functionality in a 5 person situation.

I thought vocals didn't even get OD though? Wasn't it you that said that?

Anyway, HellAshes idea might still be a good one if bands aren't able to find someone to vox. 3 "guitar" slots plus drums are probably a more accurate representation of the distribution of players. I did vox at the previous GU tournament out of necessity, and I'm not a very good vocalist (especially in a tournament doing a bunch of SRs)
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:

Nope, I don't recall ever saying that haha. I guess the only way we'll know for sure is when October 26th rolls around. Obviously I'd like for my primary instrument to not be completely useless in a 5 person setting, but we'll see.
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndestructibleSD wrote:
bclare wrote:

Nope, I don't recall ever saying that haha. I guess the only way we'll know for sure is when October 26th rolls around. Obviously I'd like for my primary instrument to not be completely useless in a 5 person setting, but we'll see.

>_> I confuse you and Icemage sometimes, sorry. Icemage definitely said that vox doesn't get OD or anything during 5-piece bands.
eddaket  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derp, I'll be there. Regardless of the rules this should be fun. On disc only is perfectly fine with me. The songs will be relatively new to everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: