FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar: I'm screwed, aren't I?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnknownLefty95  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar: I'm screwed, aren't I? Reply with quote

I am pretty confident that I won't be able to play Pro Guitar in Rock Band 3. I am left- handed, and my real guitar doesn't have MIDI functionality.

And that MadCatz guitar with the 104 keys on it has cutaways for right-handed people. So I can't play that either.

What am I going to do? I love the concept of Rock Band 3 teaching people to play the real guitar while they are playing a game, but I will likely never fully enjoy it.

The only way I can see me having fun with it is that MadCatz make a left-handed model and by sheer luck, a store in my town stocks it.

Not bloody likely. Mad Catz should have made a symmetrical guitar controller, so that lefties can restring the stringed part and play if perfectly. But no, you decided to ruin Rock Band 3's Pro Mode for me and other lefties around the world

My question is this: Does anyone know if this will be fixed? What will the lefties do when it comes to Pro Guitar? If some people out there have lefty guitars with MIDI functionality, then they're fine. But I'm not going to pay a shitload of money just to play one mode on Rock Band 3, no matter how awesome it is.

Much better username than my SH one, don't ya think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MrElectricNick
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure they'll have a solution, just wait for the game to come out before getting worried
marcusfenixrules  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Harmonix isn't stupid enough to leave out all you lefties. Considering lefty flip is in every game, I'm positive that they'll make a lefty pro mode guitar, or have a solution. So you shouldn't worry too much.
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can be like Hendrix and restring your guitar so it's left handed, then use lefty flip on the game. I'm sure lefty flip will still be there, even for pro mode.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twistedoak wrote:
Or you can be like Hendrix and restring your guitar so it's left handed, then use lefty flip on the game. I'm sure lefty flip will still be there, even for pro mode.

But what happens when there's a '22nd fret on the 1st string' note and I'm playing the MadCatz guitar upside down for lefty flip?

FC=impossible.

Much better username than my SH one, don't ya think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MrElectricNick
Edify  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not simply learn to play righty? I know that sounds "leftist," if that's even a word.

But it seems that guitar, to the best of my knowledge, is the only instrument that caters to lefties. I play both clarinet and piano. Obviously, your left hands plays the lower notes and your right hand plays the higher notes, regardless of if you're right- or left-handed. It would just be awkward to cross your hands and play, expecially if you have to use the full range of the keyboard (of course, there are rare times where you do have to cross). Also, for the clarinet, your left hand always plays the top column of keys while your right hand plays the bottom. That's the proper way to play. It never changes based on your dominant hand.

So my question would be why is it such a big deal to play right-handed? Does it have to do with how the guitar, specifically, was designed?
Catingub  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edify wrote:
Why not simply learn to play righty? I know that sounds "leftist," if that's even a word.

But it seems that guitar, to the best of my knowledge, is the only instrument that caters to lefties. I play both clarinet and piano. Obviously, your left hands plays the lower notes and your right hand plays the higher notes, regardless of if you're right- or left-handed. It would just be awkward to cross your hands and play, expecially if you have to use the full range of the keyboard (of course, there are rare times where you do have to cross). Also, for the clarinet, your left hand always plays the top column of keys while your right hand plays the bottom. That's the proper way to play. It never changes based on your dominant hand.

So my question would be why is it such a big deal to play right-handed? Does it have to do with how the guitar, specifically, was designed?

With guitar, it's like learning to write. Some of us are righties, some of us are lefties. I can't write for shit with my left and that carries over to guitar; without extreme practice, I don't think I'd be able to form simple chord shapes. I've tried it and my hand loses most dexterity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edify wrote:

But it seems that guitar, to the best of my knowledge, is the only instrument that caters to lefties.

FYI, drums can be lefty flipped too.

And for some of us, it's really not as simple as just learning to do it right-handed. When you're lefty, the "natural" way to do some things is just plain different. I can't really come up with a clever comparison right now to try to explain it (thanks, vodka!) but I can assure you that for most of us lefties it's really not a simple task just to switch. For instance my workplace can't be bothered to buy lefty scissors, and it's far easier for me to just deal with the discomfort of using right handed scissors with my left hand than to retrain myself to use them with my right hand. In general your dominant hand is going to be the more coordinated one, and I can guarantee you that most of the times in my life I've spilled beverages it's because I was trying to pick them up with my right hand instead of the natural left.

Maybe I'm not making my point very well but I've rambled on too much anyway.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Chucklestyle
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownLefty95 wrote:
twistedoak wrote:

But what happens when there's a '22nd fret on the 1st string' note and I'm playing the MadCatz guitar upside down for lefty flip?

FC=impossible.

What makes you so sure that turning on lefty flip in pro mode wouldn't put the first string on the opposite side (you know, like twistedoak suggested, it automatically "restrings" your guitar)? That seems like a pretty obvious design.
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi wrote:
UnknownLefty95 wrote:
twistedoak wrote:

FC=impossible.

What makes you so sure that turning on lefty flip in pro mode wouldn't put the first string on the opposite side (you know, like twistedoak suggested, it automatically "restrings" your guitar)? That seems like a pretty obvious design.

You're still going to want to restring it so that it feels right. Playing guitar with low E where the high E should be would screw me up.
megallica  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chucklestyle wrote:
Edify wrote:

But it seems that guitar, to the best of my knowledge, is the only instrument that caters to lefties.

FYI, drums can be lefty flipped too.

And for some of us, it's really not as simple as just learning to do it right-handed. When you're lefty, the "natural" way to do some things is just plain different. I can't really come up with a clever comparison right now to try to explain it (thanks, vodka!) but I can assure you that for most of us lefties it's really not a simple task just to switch. For instance my workplace can't be bothered to buy lefty scissors, and it's far easier for me to just deal with the discomfort of using right handed scissors with my left hand than to retrain myself to use them with my right hand. In general your dominant hand is going to be the more coordinated one, and I can guarantee you that most of the times in my life I've spilled beverages it's because I was trying to pick them up with my right hand instead of the natural left.

Maybe I'm not making my point very well but I've rambled on too much anyway.

while it is true that it can be very difficult to do things with your non-dominant hand, it still isn't THAT hard

it is well documented that many lefties have learned to be somewhat ambidextrous just from using many things that are set up for right handed people

i'm right handed, but i've learned to play guitar on rock band lefty and righty
i had an injury in one of my fingers on my left hand when guitar hero 2 came out, so i learned to play lefty on expert while i was waiting for it to heal, and managed to pass the entire GH2 setlist on expert left handed
it only took a week to learn to play on expert lefty, even though it took me several months to build up to expert right handed, since most of the knowledge of what to do transferred over

i've also learned to use a mouse for my computer with my left hand, and i'm almost as good with it as i am with my right hand

the real reason that you wouldn't want to learn to do play rock band with your non-dominant hand is that for many people, you'll never be as good that way since you're fighting with coordination issues while you're learning

even the things i've learned to do well left handed are still uncomfortable and below the proficiency i have doing the same thing right handed

anyway, on topic. i would imagine that if they make a lefty pro guitar for RB3, and they don't stock it in a store near you, you could probably order one online, or ask a store near you to order one

i can't imagine why no one would think to make one, since most people would quit long before they could learn to play with a right handed guitar if they're left handed, and even restringing it and playing with a guitar that's shaped to be held the other way is probably too much of a bother to most people

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownLefty95 wrote:
twistedoak wrote:

FC=impossible.

Well, it's going to be a learning curve all over again for most of us. Luckily, I am a left hander that learned to play most instruments right handed, so I don't worry about these things.

1 out of 7 people are left handed, and I'm sure that Harmonix will take into account the 14% of the population that needs some sort of accomodation. I wouldn't worry about getting impossible fc's until the game is actually here and we can analyze the new controllers. Maybe your 22nd fret on the 1st string will be the least of your worries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's been stated that the Realtar is 21 frets and the Mustang is 17, so we'll all be screwed if they want us to hit the 22nd fret.
Stormrider2112  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yakityyakblah wrote:
I believe it's been stated that the Realtar is 21 frets and the Mustang is 17, so we'll all be screwed if they want us to hit the 22nd fret.
Something like The Conjuring (the intro) would be impossible, since the opening notes are a held G5 power chord, and tapping 5-22 4-24 3-24 harp harmonics (5-4-3-4-5-3 pattern), followed by the same pattern in F#5, F5, and E5. Only the E5 has notes NOT on the 22nd+ fret.

And the upper cutaway on the Mustang is around the 15th fret, and the 17th on the Strat (standard Fender neck joint). It's kind of a pain in the ass that no one is making lefty guitars for games, but it's easy enough to deal with (5 frets, nothing close to the cutaway, and the strap buttons are ambidextrous), but with Pro Mode? Feh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Catz has cutaways meant for right handed playing, but remember, it only goes up to 17 frets, so the cutaway won't really matter. As for the Squier, there might be some problems there with the on the highest frets due to the cutaway, but nothing insurmountable. HMX isn't stupid, there will be a lefty flip option. Restringing a right-handed guitar for lefties isn't that difficult (the only tricky part is the nut...and bridge adjustment for proper intonation, but for gameplay purposes that won't matter).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: