FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
S11 - RB2 On-Disc Expert Drums
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redskinsrock2689  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:
redskinsrock2689 wrote:
internetguy87 wrote:
Now, if I recieve a single no, I will continue with this round. Also I need to make sure JCirri accepts it. This allows all 4 people to vote fairly, knowing that if I do get a no, then there is no way for anyone to know the reason it didn't go through. It could be any of the 4 players (esp since neither one of the lower seeds knows if I am referring to their score or not and may be winning right now), or it could simply be JCirri.

I really think it is unfair to be knocked out with an optimal score, that is all. Also I'm thinking at least one of the top seeds will probably say no, lol.
Feel free to delete this post if this counts as a violation of some sort, I wasn't sure.

The only thing I need to follow up with is, what do you suggest? CoB is easily one of the toughest top 5-6 songs in RB2, or at least very close. Should it be automatic that Panic Attack or Visions is saved for the end to avoid this?

It's obviously easy to say the system doesn't work, but you need to suggest a fix to make the point worthwhile.

The difficulty on the song isnt the problem, its the difficulty to get optimal. A song like The Trees is relatively easy to fc, but it is very hard to get the optimal score. Try to choose a song with very difficult squeezes. Almost Easy is another song with incredibly difficult squeezes (1 optimal score, which may coincidentally have been obtained with the cal path), but it has a cal path (no one has gotten the optimal cal path score) and I don't know if you want to do a song with a known cal path. There are plenty of easier songs with hard to get optimals. If you pick a song with less than 5 or even 10 optimal scores, I think you won't run into this problem. The other thing you could do is choose a song with a BRE (kids in america), but those are kinda limited on rb2, and really wouldnt show much extra skill.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Redskinsroc2689 PSN Name: Redskinsrock2689
cweaver8518  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLC leagues wouldn't necessarily be any better. Paths are quite rampant for DLC too. I suggest just making sure harder to optimal songs are saved for last, even if that means Visions. Or a song with a BRE.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd almost rather lose by seed than lose by BRE, personally. If a higher seed pulls off the optimal on a really hard song, at some point, you gotta say "congratulations, you earned it" whether or not you pulled it off yourself. Whether or not Pinball Wizard or Colony of Birchmen qualifies as a "really hard song", I'll leave it to the affected participants to settle.

To me, BRE's seem like a really chintzy way to settle things for players of that calibre, but if a selected song has one, so be it. I certainly wouldn't consciously aim to to pick a BRE song for that reason though.
redskinsrock2689  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

googleimage wrote:
I'd almost rather lose by seed than lose by BRE, personally. If a higher seed pulls off the optimal on a really hard song, at some point, you gotta say "congratulations, you earned it" whether or not you pulled it off yourself. Whether or not Pinball Wizard or Colony of Birchmen qualifies as a "really hard song", I'll leave it to the affected participants to settle.

Well Pinball Wizard certainly does not qualify as a really hard song. Also how many points you get from a BRE is actually based on something believe it or not, and looking at the leaderboards, the same player has 1st place for most of the songs with a BRE. I agree though that I would rather lose on something that requires a bit more skill, but it seems thats just not possible this far into the league without picking one of the 5 or 6 hardest songs to fc (painkiller, panic attack, visions, teenage riot, bohisattva, sttp? or aqualung?) or picking a song like Almost Easy with an absurd squeeze in a cal path. Honestly though, I'm at the point where I want to say the top seeds deserve it and you should go into the playoffs knowing you have almost a 0% chance to win as a lower seed.

Last edited by redskinsrock2689 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Redskinsroc2689 PSN Name: Redskinsrock2689
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to put in my two cents on this.

RB drums, and particularly on-disk drums, is definitely the hardest instrument/league to come up with a fair way to do playoffs and pick songs for said playoffs. Any other instrument is going to have way more variety in scores on more songs. So there's already a limited number of songs that can be chosen that would not be likely to result in ties between players in the higher division.

You guys chose to enter the on-disk division. There's only so many songs to choose from to start with, and trying to find ones that are unlikely to result in ties is a pretty hard task. Add to that that these have all been played and pathed to death by so many people involved that FCs are not going to be unusual. It totally sucks to have ties decided by seeds because both members of a matchup got the highest score possible, but CoB looks to me like it was a great choice that several people were unexpectedly able to optimal. There are like a dozen optimal scores for this total on SH, which isn't a whole lot more than most of the other hardest-tier songs remaining have. It was not unreasonable to expect this to result in clear victors in all matches, but this batch of playoff participants is clearly too good.

I just wanted to pop in and clarify that, going in, this seemed like a fair song to choose. It just didn't turn out that way to all involved, but it wasn't an irresponsible or uninformed decision on IG's part.

And I agree that having it decided by a BRE doesn't seem like a fairer way to go, either.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
googleimage  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree, WK. Even if you lost with an optimal, it also means you lost to an optimal, which is insane to us mortals. In other words, you drummers in the Neil Peart division are freakin' nuts, and should take pride no matter what the result is.

Well, I'm done on Birchmen for the round - gotta hit the town for the night. We'll have to wait and see if it turns out to be enough.
FingerQuick  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I get back from vacation to see that I fucking have 2 byes into the 7th round and getting hyped to grind CoB just to reakize that I can't supply proof atm. shit. Well, it was fun. I'll say that.

LongliveTLE

Go. Win gold.

GHWoR Season 14 Leagues Champion
GH3 TTFAF FC - 6/3/2012
Join monthly GH3 Xbox LIVE GH Tournaments with us!

46|62|29|70|41|85|49|48|85|46|93|42
Full Series: 696/702
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: FingerQuickSH Wii Friend Code: 2581587414697466
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decision on replaying this round with a different song is no. Once again, all it took was a single no from either a participant, myself changing my mind, or JCirri. I will not reveal the circumstances under which the vote was denied, but I was please with some of the PM's I got about it.

I will be happy to share many ideas before next season.

Next round if there is a tiebreaker, I have no idea what to do =).

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
yelsraek  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it weird that there's no song posted for the finals? I was curious what the verdict was, regardless of whether or not I advanced.
googleimage  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yelsraek wrote:
Is it weird that there's no song posted for the finals? I was curious what the verdict was, regardless of whether or not I advanced.

There's been a 1-day layoff between all rounds, no?

No idea if my score's gonna hold - the tension is palpable. My second-to-best run is the one I'm gonna kick myself over if I fall short. So many unforced errors towards the end.
yelsraek  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

googleimage wrote:
There's been a 1-day layoff between all rounds, no?

No idea if my score's gonna hold - the tension is palpable. My second-to-best run is the one I'm gonna kick myself over if I fall short. So many unforced errors towards the end.

The playoff format is such that it runs in 3 day intervals of either Thurs-Fri-Sat or Sun-Mon-Tues, so that each round has one weekend day in it. This is the round where there would be no break... well, if you don't include the waiting for the scores to appear to determine if you even advanced, of course...

In my best run, I missed a stupid note (one of several) right before the 3 rolls in Bridge 2 and blew my multiplayer... the tension is QUITE palpable... but I wouldn't have it any other way!
TRiiG3RS  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume that I got knocked out due to the fact I didn't gold it, even with 99& and a massive note streak. Damn you, sextuplet rolls that are too fast for my kit to pick up! >.<
Good game to all that entered, and good luck to both finalists (though if Paturages won I'm rooting for him due to the fact he used to be on my friends list. Sorry about that Everlong choke, dude =L)
googleimage  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, was hoping for Teenage Riot, but assumed we wouldn't since we've already had Everlong. Certainly not one of the songs I had in mind, but it makes some sense. At least it's not freaking Ramblin' Man.
redskinsrock2689  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least this song won't end with an optimal score tie.

TRiiG3RS wrote:
I'm going to assume that I got knocked out due to the fact I didn't gold it, even with 99& and a massive note streak. Damn you, sextuplet rolls that are too fast for my kit to pick up! >.<
Good game to all that entered, and good luck to both finalists (though if Paturages won I'm rooting for him due to the fact he used to be on my friends list. Sorry about that Everlong choke, dude =L)

I'm almost certain he lost with the optimal score...
yelsraek  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! On to the finals! Good Game, googleimage! Good luck, LongLiveTLE!

Interesting song choice. Should be a long grind... Am I reading that correctly that we have through Wednesday night to submit our best?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: