FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Muscles used for drumming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mischlings  

Location: The state of Confusion (aka Michigan (Ann Arbor, if you want to get specific))

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Muscles used for drumming Reply with quote

Yes, I know that technique is far and away more important than sheer strength when drumming. However, I'd like to know anyway which muscles are used when drumming (specifically in the leg, but others would be nice to know) to work on strength in ways other than just playing more.

My YouTube account

Playing:
Rock Band 2
Pokemon Diamond (Friend Code: 2622 6465 1998)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
A million Super Mario World Rom Hacks
taintlesscapeSH  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For foot pedals, it depends on your style...

Heel Down: Most, if not all strength required comes from the Tibia and Fibula, the rest of your leg tends to stay pretty stationary.

Heel Up: This technique involves using the weight of your leg to push your foot into the pedal. Being able to hold your foot up for long periods of time is the only exercise that will allow for more endurance. Practicing will make this technique extremely useful after it is mastered though.

(I'm a heel down player)

For sticks, I prefer to hold it with my index finger & thumb, letting it rest on my other 3. Depending on the style of beat/speed of song, I either move my whole wrist, my whole arm or just the three fingers the stick is resting on. Flicking your fingers while keeping your Index finger + thumb together is the great way to build up alot of stamina for this method. Otherwise, doing the snapping motion with your wrist ( no stick) will help for overall stamina.

Let me know if that cleared up your question at all.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taintlesscapeSH wrote:
For foot pedals, it depends on your style...

Heel Down: Most, if not all strength required comes from the Tibia and Fibula, the rest of your leg tends to stay pretty stationary.

Heel Up: This technique involves using the weight of your leg to push your foot into the pedal. Being able to hold your foot up for long periods of time is the only exercise that will allow for more endurance. Practicing will make this technique extremely useful after it is mastered though.

(I'm a heel down player)

For sticks, I prefer to hold it with my index finger & thumb, letting it rest on my other 3. Depending on the style of beat/speed of song, I either move my whole wrist, my whole arm or just the three fingers the stick is resting on. Flicking your fingers while keeping your Index finger + thumb together is the great way to build up alot of stamina for this method. Otherwise, doing the snapping motion with your wrist ( no stick) will help for overall stamina.

Let me know if that cleared up your question at all.

First of all, the tibia and fibula are bones, not muscles. To the OP, you should work on calf strength and flexibility for your leg strength. In general, I would also concentrate on hip and hamstring flexibility, although these are not necessarily deal-breakers.

As for hands, just work using your fingers to provide strength for each stroke. Some involve their pinky and others don't. The ultimate decision comes up to you (some swear that involving the pinky will ultimately give you more power, although using just the middle and ring fingers is more common).

EDIT: Working on your forearms will also enhance wrist strength and power, and triceps and shoulders should also help.
taintlesscapeSH  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they're bones. You need to strengthen the muscles around the two.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taintlesscapeSH wrote:

I think the point is that since the thread is called "muscles used for drumming" then maybe you should talk about the muscles
taintlesscapeSH  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
taintlesscapeSH wrote:

I think the point is that since the thread is called "muscles used for drumming" then maybe you should talk about the muscles

Should've been more specific, sorry.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusketWarrior wrote:

First of all, the tibia and fibula are bones, not muscles. To the OP, you should work on calf strength and flexibility for your leg strength. In general, I would also concentrate on hip and hamstring flexibility, although these are not necessarily deal-breakers.

As for hands, just work using your fingers to provide strength for each stroke. Some involve their pinky and others don't. The ultimate decision comes up to you (some swear that involving the pinky will ultimately give you more power, although using just the middle and ring fingers is more common).

EDIT: Working on your forearms will also enhance wrist strength and power, and triceps and shoulders should also help.

I don't see much use in the hamstring, it's more the quad and hip flexor muscles for the legs, in addition to the calf and whatever muscles run up and down the shin. As far as the hands, the typical bicep/triceps answer is appropriate, but be careful not to over-strengthen the wrist; you'll get carpal tunnel. The real question, though, is why are you worried about strength? It doesn't matter how strong you are; it's speed and endurance, which will only grow by doing the movements associated with drumming. In other words, it's not going to matter how much you can curl, bench, or squat, the only way to get endurance and speed is going to be practice and repetition.
Mischlings  

Location: The state of Confusion (aka Michigan (Ann Arbor, if you want to get specific))

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olphius wrote:
The real question, though, is why are you worried about strength? It doesn't matter how strong you are; it's speed and endurance, which will only grow by doing the movements associated with drumming. In other words, it's not going to matter how much you can curl, bench, or squat, the only way to get endurance and speed is going to be practice and repetition.

Well, there are a few reasons. For one, I plan on starting to work on strength training in general and wanted to know what muscles specifically are involved in drumming. I know that technique is more important, but I think of it like why athletes do strength training; physical strength isn't the most important part of being an athlete, but it does help. Also, I don't always have the chance to drum whenever I want, so another method to at least build up some strength and help with drumming would be nice.

To everyone here: Thanks for the answers. I'll look into seeing what I might be able to do to help build strength in those muscles. It's not the most important part, but it can't hurt.

My YouTube account

Playing:
Rock Band 2
Pokemon Diamond (Friend Code: 2622 6465 1998)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
A million Super Mario World Rom Hacks
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gastrocnemius and soleus are the big two muscles in the calf that would be used if you play heel-down.

For the arms, you'll want to work on the extensor muscles of the forearm to strengthen the ability to extend (pronate, so also the pronation muscles) your wrist.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
MusketWarrior  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olphius wrote:
I don't see much use in the hamstring, it's more the quad and hip flexor muscles for the legs, in addition to the calf and whatever muscles run up and down the shin.

Hamstring flexibility (not strength) is vital to drumming. If your hamstrings are tight, speed is limited and fatigue and cramps will onset much faster.
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this is off topic and i appologize but this is something for you golfers to try

the week before i played in a little golf outing i played run to the hills a LOT. It ended up adding about 20 yards to my drive, allowing me to hit my longest drive ever I use a lot of shoulders while drumming which is why it built up my golf swing speed, so i suppose if you're mostly a wrist player this wouldn't work, but i just thought i'd share.
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
Olphius  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusketWarrior wrote:
Olphius wrote:
I don't see much use in the hamstring, it's more the quad and hip flexor muscles for the legs, in addition to the calf and whatever muscles run up and down the shin.

Hamstring flexibility (not strength) is vital to drumming. If your hamstrings are tight, speed is limited and fatigue and cramps will onset much faster.

That sounds totally reasonable, I stand corrected.
lddrum  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this old thread from searching about drumming muscles and thought I'd chime in from the point of view as a real drummer. Yes, I've played Rockband many times..and there's not a high hat pedal but...

I can definitely say the hamstring is involved in the left leg for the high hat. By playing heel up and lifting the leg over and over for 4th/8th notes you do use the back of your leg since you lift it in entirety. Since you only use your right leg in Rockband (at least the last one I played) you're probably using your hamstring if you play heel up.

When I first started playing drums I did a 'marathon' of almost 2 hours and was using my left leg on the HH the entire time. The next day or the day after I was in unbelievable pain and couldn't walk, had to take time off from work I think and my leg was bruised. I pulled or stretched the hamstring and initially I couldn't figure out what caused it. So when I was finally able to play drums again the pain came back although very mildly and I knew what it was.

I know, bumping a 2 year old thread..but just thought I'd add some education.

[quote="Olphius"]
MusketWarrior wrote:

I don't see much use in the hamstring, it's more the quad and hip flexor muscles for the legs, in addition to the calf and whatever muscles run up and down the shin. As far as the hands, the typical bicep/triceps answer is appropriate, but be careful not to over-strengthen the wrist; you'll get carpal tunnel. The real question, though, is why are you worried about strength? It doesn't matter how strong you are; it's speed and endurance, which will only grow by doing the movements associated with drumming. In other words, it's not going to matter how much you can curl, bench, or squat, the only way to get endurance and speed is going to be practice and repetition.
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO SS AND GOMAD

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Pas26  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
DO SS AND GOMAD

It would actually help. I wouldnt do both at the same time, however :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: