FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Probably a silly idea, but it concerns two RBN songs...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Probably a silly idea, but it concerns two RBN songs... Reply with quote

I don't claim to have listened to each RBN song, but two stuck out like a sore thumb:

Days Without: Harmonix butchered it. Badly. Drums overlap all, vocals overlap guitar and sound distorted, and guitar is muted I think? It's so low.

Forever in your Hands: Harmonix thought it'd be a good idea to use the radio edit, then distort the instruments? Why?

I'm blaming Harmonix on this for one reason: Songs have to be filtered for swearing, then HMX having to censor it somehow, right? See: Burn it Down
Also, they've screwed up in the past:
Afterlife, all Paul McCartney and Tom Petty songs, though I am going off hearsay for Tom Petty.

---

Anyhow, would contacting Harmonix make them roll out patches for said songs, (and any others with horrible mixing issues) or would that just be a dream better left to be just that? It's sad two of the songs I wanted the most in RBN (from the initial announcement) were butchered.

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
BMS  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the other songs you mentioned since I don't have them (and I almost can't comment on the ATR songs since I haven't heard their RBN versions), but (and I think I said this in another thread), unless Harmonix were the ones who charted the songs (which I doubt), they are not to blame for the two All That Remains songs due to the way RBN works. The mixing for RBN songs is done by the charters, and since HMX didn't chart the two ATR songs on the RBN right now, well, yeah. HMX probably isn't responsible for the Radio Edit being used, since IIRC it's the bands choice what edit of a song they want to submit to RBN.
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain the censoring in Burn it Down? Or other songs? I don't think FFDP would censor a song themselves.
Also, Harmonix has said they have to make sure the "charts are accurate". They are involved, so who's to say they can't mess with mixing or something?

The mixing is done by the charters? How? They're literally just using a .mp3 and adding a chart onto it, no? I'm not even annoyed it's the Radio Edit, it's the awful, 64kbps-esque quality.

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TensionSpree wrote:
The mixing is done by the charters? How? They're literally just using a .mp3 and adding a chart onto it, no?

I'm not sure if you are seriously asking this, but no, that's not accurate. In order to "play" a given part (guitar, drums) as you hit the notes and not play the part when you miss them, each playable part must be on a different track. Then there is the "rest of the song" that would be on another track (or tracks, the distinction isn't important to us). So each song would be at least 5 tracks, mixed together. To do this, you can't use an MP3 (?!), you need digital multi-tracks which for RBN purposes are called "stems" and are mixed together.
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do FoF charts work so well for RBA? Also, bands suddenly give out their master recordings to anyone now?

TheHammer417  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmonix didn't chart either songs.
/end

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TensionSpree wrote:
So how do FoF charts work so well for RBA? Also, bands suddenly give out their master recordings to anyone now?

If you play a FoF chart, it won't cut out the guitar track if you miss a note more times than not. It will, however, on RBN, because the artists give their tracks individually. 99% of the FoF charts are, in fact, created from an MP3 file rather than the master stem tracks.

They don't just "give out their master recordings to anyone", they are giving them to legitimate charting companies.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TensionSpree wrote:

TensionSpree, before you come off looking like one of those people who adamantly attacks something without the smallest bit of knowledge about it, maybe you should put some effort into understanding what RBN is.

FoF charts work just as well in RBA as they do in FoF. Most FoF charts don't have separated tracks, and when you miss notes, either all the audio cuts out, none of the audio changes, or the audio just gets quieter. Those are symptoms of the charter using a full pre-mixed audio file for a guitar stem, a background stem, or both, respectively. They don't work as well as real stems, and can't legally be distributed over RBN.

Yes, bands give out their master multi-track recordings to the people who author their RBN charts, assuming they don't do it themselves. This is the only way it can be done. The band has to give the author the rights to redistribute the audio for the author to actually sell it over Xbox Live, and provide the audio in a format adequate for Rock Band games to mix it.

I don't know that there's a standard for censorship/age-appropriateness of content on RBN, because it's user-generated content. I have downloaded some of the demos already and heard straight up cursing in the songs (and deleted the demo, because I'm just not going to buy that).

The mixing is done by the charters by mapping the tracks to instruments/background/etc and giving them volume levels and even stereo positions I think.

The way it's made sure that charts are accurate is based on peer review by other people who are primarily not from Harmonix, as far as I know.
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
S1ckH4nds  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak on behalf of any of the other charting companies, but I can comment on this; as far as the FFDP song goes, we had to edit the language to conform to the ratings of a T-for-Teen game, otherwise it would not pass review. Regardless of what you may believe, lines such as "You don't know shit", "They're fucking lies", and "I hate you fucking all" "will not be allowed into a game anytime in the near future, hence the ducking of the audio in those sections.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: S1ckH4nds
S1ckH4nds  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi wrote:
I don't know that there's a standard for censorship/age-appropriateness of content on RBN, because it's user-generated content. I have downloaded some of the demos already and heard straight up cursing in the songs (and deleted the demo, because I'm just not going to buy that).

Which songs would those be? If any got through with cursing included, I'd like to know, because this is one of the things that is specifically required to be avoided in RBN content during the peer review process.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: S1ckH4nds
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S1ckH4nds wrote:
Kawigi wrote:

Which songs would those be? If any got through with cursing included, I'd like to know, because this is one of the things that is specifically required to be avoided in RBN content during the peer review process.

Is damn considered a swear? Goth Girls has that and hump, although I hardly think they're swear words, so yeah, I' m curious as well?

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
bclare  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
S1ckH4nds wrote:
Kawigi wrote:

Is damn considered a swear? Goth Girls has that and hump, although I hardly think they're swear words, so yeah, I' m curious as well?

"Damn" is allowed, but usually "goddamn" isn't. See "This Ain't A Scene.." where "god" is blanked out but you still get to say "damn". Also "bitch" and a few less severe words tend to be situational I think. Shit and fuck will never make it through to a song without being censored.

With regards to TensionSpree's original comment though, audio quality is not the fault of HMX or the charting company. The artist/label gives them the song. If it's a shitty version of a song, that's because the artist or label gave them that version. Whatever they get, they may delete a word or two from the main vocal stem, but they'll use the highest quality they can.
S1ckH4nds  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
"Damn" is allowed, but usually "goddamn" isn't. See "This Ain't A Scene.." where "god" is blanked out but you still get to say "damn". Also "bitch" and a few less severe words tend to be situational I think. Shit and fuck will never make it through to a song without being censored.

"Goddamn" is usually one of those "once in a song" swears (ala "El Scorcho"). Usage and repetition all factor into it. As far as the biggies, though, fuck, shit, cunt, motherfucker, etc... those will all without doubt fail a song in the peer review process.
saikosakura  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you noticed, but you won't find any of those words in radio, on-disc songs or official DLC either. (See "Sir Psycho Sexy," "Smash Hammerface", etc.)

The only song that uses (questionable) bad words is Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance." The words "I'm a free bitch baby" are repeated a few times. If the line was "You're a bitch" then it would have to be changed because of its usage.

Need high-res instrument icons for The Beatles: RB? Go here!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Saiko Sakura PSN Name: SaikoSakura
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S1ckH4nds wrote:
bclare wrote:

"Goddamn" is usually one of those "once in a song" swears (ala "El Scorcho"). Usage and repetition all factor into it. As far as the biggies, though, fuck, shit, cunt, motherfucker, etc... those will all without doubt fail a song in the peer review process.

"bitch" isn't allowed at all. Ever. The only times it has been was a censor mess-up on HMX's part.
Oh, and Poker Face by Lady Gaga has the F-bomb uncensored several times.

So it's up to the record company (I'm assuming them, because I'd be against this shit of my music being displayed at HORRIBLE QUALITY AND MIXING) what mix they get? Kind of unfair in my opinion...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: