FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drums mastery rivalry - thesunfan wins with 55 golds!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get to where the bass pedal is an afterthought, its constant. just read when not to hit it rather than when

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BowlZ wrote:
get to where the bass pedal is an afterthought, its constant. just read when not to hit it rather than when

The pedal-on-autopilot part is fine, that's the first thing I was good-ish at in the song. There's just a high frequency of stuff that's easy for me to miss :-) I'm sure it'll come sometime. My main point is that (surprisingly :-) ) I haven't had to put unreasonable effort into 5-starring anything else so far.
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi wrote:
BowlZ wrote:

The pedal-on-autopilot part is fine, that's the first thing I was good-ish at in the song. There's just a high frequency of stuff that's easy for me to miss :-) I'm sure it'll come sometime. My main point is that (surprisingly :-) ) I haven't had to put unreasonable effort into 5-starring anything else so far.

Speaking of which, I finished off 5-starring the first 6 tiers, including Pinball Wizard :-) So far I've got 2 songs 5-starred and 2 songs 3-starred in the last tier, and 8 still-need-to-passes. Updated both of our numbers. Maybe I'll go back and gold some of the stuff I missed soon, maybe I'll stop failing Give It All in the last 5 notes, maybe I'll practice one of the practice-required-type songs in the last tier, we'll see :-)

Edit: Finally got through Give It All, 5 stars (but it's really easier to 5-star than to pass :-p), and failed at 95% in Teen Age Riot, which is a song where I don't automatically assume that's where I'm going to fail :-p I also got about half way through the first guitar solo in Painkiller earlier, no idea what it'll take to get through that, but it wasn't really pretty up till then.
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
thesunfan  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You updated this right before I started doing stuff yesterday lol
I hit 10 mil, close to 11 now.
Can't pass anything that I have left, no idea how you passed Everlong, Ill try some more later
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I passed Teen Age Riot (finally), got through Battery by the skin of my teeth, and 4-starred Everlong. I think Teen Age Riot is harder than Everlong, because it has more synchopation on the pedal, but I guess Everlong is a little faster, and doesn't give you a chance to get OD and horde it before it gets hard.
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I edited my last post last time rather than posting a reply :-p

I've been redoing some stuff, especially around the middle tiers. Up to 30 golds (and 75 5's and 79 passes).
thesunfan  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant play except on weekends, unless my Engineering and English grades get an adrenaline boost, so, unless you die, you're probably going to win, because I haven't really focused on 5starring stuff, only passing it.
I think you would've won even if I was able to play during the weekdays, you've really suprised me with your skill, I thought you were worse than how you're doing. You've improved a lot more than I think I will and alot more than I thought you would.
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesunfan wrote:
I cant play except on weekends, unless my Engineering and English grades get an adrenaline boost, so, unless you die, you're probably going to win, because I haven't really focused on 5starring stuff, only passing it.
I think you would've won even if I was able to play during the weekdays, you've really suprised me with your skill, I thought you were worse than how you're doing. You've improved a lot more than I think I will and alot more than I thought you would.

I was worse than how I'm doing, but it's the future now. I've been improving constantly since the other rivalry started, it's been kind of fun :-) When it started, I was bringing up the rear most weeks, and then I got to the point where I was matching you on quite a few songs. When we started this, I felt like you had the head start, and likely more experience/skill, but that I was improving faster.

Also, I suspect the ability to play a couple songs a day throughout the week (even primarily on weekdays, perhaps) may be a pretty big advantage for me. On that note, good luck with your classes

Today I barely got through Peace Sells (OD hording until I'm about to die FTW) and Painkiller (I will probably have nightmares about the We Got The Beat in fast-forward part), and added two new golds.
cweaver8518  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I coulda gotten into this, although it sounds like sunfan is still at about my level. Kawigi you're way better than me, I can't pass Everlong let alone Battery :P

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cweaver8518 wrote:
Wish I coulda gotten into this, although it sounds like sunfan is still at about my level. Kawigi you're way better than me, I can't pass Everlong let alone Battery :P

Don't worry, I can't pass Battery, either, I just happened to get to the end without dying once. Same goes for Peace Sells, Give It All and Panic Attack (barely made it through today!), except that I didn't save OD for any particular part in Battery, because I'm sufficiently bad at the whole song.

Everlong took a lot of practice to get the hang of (but if you get it, then Red Barchetta is mostly the same thing played backwards). Teen Age Riot has a harder bass rhythm but is just a little slower - I think it's harder, but could understand someone thinking otherwise. In either of those cases, I suspect that the combination of practicing and failing and annoying my officemates by playing the pattern on my lap or desk is the reason I ever got good enough to pass them.

I think you should join in if you want - I have a headstart now, but you sound like you're practicing and improving, and I wouldn't be surprised if you get up to speed soon :-)
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick to any rhythm is learning to sing it first. If you can sing it you can play it. It helps internalize the rhythm.

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
Sertman  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BowlZ wrote:
the trick to any rhythm is learning to sing it first. If you can sing it you can play it. It helps internalize the rhythm.

...singing the rhythm or the song? lolwat

basically the tricks to drums:

1.) stay loose. if you're gripping/holding the drumsticks correctly, you should be able to hit the pads lightly and get a bit of a rebound (assuming you're on the stock). look at the way that noodsnoodle used to play, and try to match his technique. tensing up and trying to beat the pads like you're trying to beat someone to death is not a good habit to develop. i've been playing for a little under a year and i still have problems on songs like ramblin an and battery because i tense up like an asshole and i tire out really fast.

2.) same with the pedal. you aren't on the step team and you aren't playing DDR. learn to use the natural bounce of your leg and the pedal to kick with little energy.

3.) repetition. wanna pass visions? play it until sweat is pouring from your body. wanna develop pedal speed? whore the hell out of painkiller. technical stuff? spoonman or panic attack. i've been whoring the shit out of the mayhem pack over the last couple of weeks, and i've been slowly, slowly improving, but i went from being a total failure at blasts to coming REALLY close to passing This is Exile and WAHNTHAC. and the way i've been doing is is just practice, practice, practice.

4.) also if you find that your left arm is functionally retarded, play a couple of songs on lefty flip a day, it'll strengthen that hand and make stuff like mountain song, where a lot of the movement happens on your left hand, a lot easier.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded a few scores, although those are prelimary virtual sightreads since I haven't played them in like forever.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went from 28 to 33 golds and from 24 to 28 golds yesterday and passed Painkiller, got close to Bad Reputation and I'm nto gona bother with Ramblin' Man for now
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesunfan wrote:
Went from 28 to 33 golds and from 24 to 28 golds yesterday and passed Painkiller, got close to Bad Reputation and I'm nto gona bother with Ramblin' Man for now

Nice job taking the Gold lead :-)

I added cweaver8518 to the table in the OP. I assume he didn't have stars entered for some songs because they're setlist scores, but I figured it out anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Rivalries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: