FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to create stems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gio  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: How to create stems? Reply with quote

Well I have been fiddling with Reaper for the last two hours trying to figure out how to create stems. I have googled it and haven't found a straightforward way on how to make them.I am a noob when it comes to anything with editing/mixing so I need all the help I can get.Also which program should I be using and How exactly do I make stems?
TehBanStick  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take the master track and pull the different instruments from it.
Gio  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the concept but I dont understand how to pull the instruments in reaper?
JCirri  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our lead audio engineer, Sean (aka Phr34k on ScoreHero), has put up an audio workshop to explain the full process behind preparing and mixing the audio for a track to go on Rock Band. There's of course many ways to accomplish the same task, and this is just one particular look at an experienced user's methods broken down for all to understand.

Here it is: http://www.rhythmauthors.com/audio_workshop.php

It's a long watch, but the sections are labeled nicely, so hopefully you can find most of what you want by jumping around if you don't have time to see it all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I watched the Videos but I dont see how I actually get the stems from the one MP3 I have. I only have an MP3 of the song and not the actual stems already.So how would I get the stems from the MP3 File?
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gio wrote:
Well I watched the Videos but I dont see how I actually get the stems from the one MP3 I have. I only have an MP3 of the song and not the actual stems already.So how would I get the stems from the MP3 File?

Correct me if I'm wrong (anybody), but I believe you have to actually have seperate tracks for each instrument (IE: the 4 parts of a 4-track recording) to create stems. I don't think you can just extract stems from a track compressed into one MP3.

Again, I could be wrong.
blitzbob  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machetemonkey wrote:
Gio wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong (anybody), but I believe you have to actually have seperate tracks for each instrument (IE: the 4 parts of a 4-track recording) to create stems. I don't think you can just extract stems from a track compressed into one MP3.

Again, I could be wrong.

http://www.prosoniq.com/editing-products/sonicworx/
Quote:
sonicWORX • Pro uses the latest advances in Digital Signal Processing to split audio signals into their components allowing you to view and edit audio based on the actual sounds present within the mix. As the first software of its kind, sonicWORX • Pro allows displaying, extracting and suppressing individual instruments and voice in a mix in a semi-automatic manner using a powerful pattern detector. Prosoniq’s novel pattern tracker automatically detects, tracks and resolves conflicts with other instruments based on hints given by the user. Selecting and extracting tracks can be accomplished in minutes using our software. This makes sonicWORX • Pro an incredibly versatile tool that allows both micro-editing as well as easy suppressing, extracting or processing instruments or voice within a mix for remixing, mastering or restoration.

Available in April
$2,600
1GB HDD Space per minute
Latest iMac wasn't fast enough

I'm guessing that's out of most peoples league.

But hey, it's possible.
machetemonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know it's /possible/ (see: Getting 4 stems out of non-4-track beatles' recordings), but yeah. Not very feasible You really need the original 4 track recordings to create stems.
davidshek  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blitzbob wrote:
But hey, it's possible.

Right, without extremely expensive hardware and software, what the OP is asking to do is not possible.

Gio, bands and authors that are using Reaper to create songs for RBN are not "creating masters" from an MP3 of the song. They already have individually separated WAV files of each instrument, which are what we call "stems". In the studio, those WAV files would be combined in the mixing process to become the MP3 you're referring to. To do that in reverse isn't really feasible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion -> Rock Band Network All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: